Long Term Sick - My Rights

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have joined up to this forum in the hope that someone can give me some advice.

My problem stems from my employer and the fact that I am on Long Term Sick Leave.

I took ill initially in December 2011 with heart problems, however I was in the process of returning to work about 6 months later when I was diagnosed with cancer. Since then, I have had a couple of major surgeries and have been receiving treatment as I try to beat this horrible disease.

I have quite a few of my insides removed and currently am not able to return to work, I am also still receiving treatment, scans and other hospital appointments. My current sick note will cover me until September 2013, however, it is unlikely that I will be well enough to go back to work even then.

I worked at a call centre, so I never received anything other than Statutory Sick Pay for the first 6 months from them.I amnow receiving state benefits.

My employer however still insists that I keep them informed, by attending monthly meetings to discuss my illness and to ask how I am coping. They even ask questions about who is helping me through all this, i.e my Partner and other family members.

Are they entitled to do this, given that they are no longer paying any salary to me. The chances are that I will never be able to return to work, as this illness is taking a lot out of me, and I really do not need all the extra stress that they are putting on me.

I just want to know what my rights are, and whether I can refuse to attend these meetings. If I do, what are my options and would I be better off resigning?

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated.

Pete....

Edited by Sallyslover
spelling

Hello and welcome to CAG. You are having a tough time, aren't you?

I'm sure the forum guys will be along later, by personal view is that the monthly meetings are a little heavy-handed.

When I was off sick, work used to ring me up. I was on SSP only as well, but still in the medical scheme and their OH man had said I might go back.

The guys should be along later. :)

By the way, you said your current sick note runs out in September 2012, do you mean 2013 please?

My best, HB

Edited by honeybee13
Addition.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi yes this is normal, mine did that for 2 years, well not monthly but every 2 or 3 months to see if there was anything they could do to help me back to work, but in the end they terminated my contract due to long term illness :(

As far as I understand it, even tho your employer is no longer paying your SSP you're still accruing holiday entitlement and length of service with them so your employer is well within their rights to keep in touch with you during your sick leave

What do you want to happen? Is it easier if they dismiss you? Have you told them you won't put a fight if they invoke the sick absence procedure?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

What do you want to happen? Is it easier if they dismiss you? Have you told them you won't put a fight if they invoke the sick absence procedure?

If I resign, then what effect, if any, will that have to any benefit entitlement that I am currently getting.

It is much easier if you get them to lay you off as long term sick, then there is no debate on whether you have fully mitigated your losses with the benefits folk. So don't resign but if you want to go, encourage them, if you see what I mean?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

If you don't want to deal with them and there is no financial loss to you ask that they terminate your employment due to medical incapacity.

Good luck in your real battle, I have a very young relative in the same position and work and such really are irrelevant, unfortunately bills are not