Moving with a suspended possession order council

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a suspended possession order granted to the council back in 2010 for non payment of arrears, since then I have paid my arrears religiously at the amount set by the court.

I had another baby last year and we currently have 5 people living in our 2 bedrooms home! I have 2 boys in 1 bedroom aged 11 and 7 and me and my partner share a bedroom with our 10 month old daughter.

I requested a move from the council but I was told I cannot move due to the suspended possession order. My housing officer stated though if I had spare bedrooms this would be a different story!

They have recently closed down our local community legal advice centre so I am really at a brick wall with getting some advice on this. I have trawled online looking for something but I can't find a thing.

What I really don't understand is they are moving people that are being hit with the bedroom tax wether or not they have arrears or a suspended possession order yet because I have no spare bedrooms I cannot move! Surely it would be just the same paperwork if I were to move?

Is there anyone out there that knows anything about this sort of thing?

You could give Shelter a ring - telephone no is 08088004444 (they're not just for homelessness), they can give you advice on problems with all areas of housing, including local authority/arrears etc - the lines can be quite busy but it's worthwhile to keep trying.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

What I really don't understand is they are moving people that are being hit with the bedroom tax wether or not they have arrears or a suspended possession order yet because I have no spare bedrooms I cannot move! Surely it would be just the same paperwork if I were to move?

Until bedroom tax came in, most Councils would not move anyone unless they cleared their arrears.

However with the introduction of the bedroom tax, arrears are increasing. So Councils will sometimes allow people to move as those affected will not be able to cover bedroom tax and rent arrears payments which would result in ballooning arrears.

How much are your arrears? Is there anyway you could clear them?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.