Library charges - Threatened with DCA/Legal

collateral
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone (not sure if this is the right place to post),

my son graduated university last year,

after graduation, he had a placement for which he was still able to take out books from the library.

He didnt hand them in on time and now Ive got the university sending charge statements to me.

My son doesnt live with me anymore,

and he told me that he emailed this to the university (he was abroad),

he also told me that he recently returned the books,

yet I still receive these statements.

I have a few questions now:

1) Can the university and the DCA (if they bring one in) take stuff from me

2) Will the uni waive his charges since he returned the books

3) Do the uni's bring in DCAs (he tells me he ignored the first few statements - he thought they would go away)

Thanks

woe horsey

DCA's are not BAILIFFS

they have NO LEGAL POWERS

ignore them.

the uni have the books

end of.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

nope

ignore them totally

you'll get all manner of scary letters

all saying

every word but WILL

read the letters carefully

they are cleverly worded,

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 year later...

I'm at a loss as yo why they're contacting you.

You have never had a contract with the uni library so they can't successfully sue you and they've been told your son No longer lives at the family home. You didn't answer my question. Are the DCA/library threatening you personally? If so, despite their lack of real powers, they shouldn't be doing this. Tell them to jog on.

Don't want to sound harsh, but your sons a grown up, help him by all means but at the end of the day he should be trying to sort this out. I'm trying to help one of my off spring with various problems, but I'm only doing it as a 3rd party and you should do the same.

I'm at a loss as yo why they're contacting you.

You have never had a contract with the uni library so they can't successfully sue you and they've been told your son No longer lives at the family home. You didn't answer my question. Are the DCA/library threatening you personally? If so, despite their lack of real powers, they shouldn't be doing this. Tell them to jog on.

Don't want to sound harsh, but your sons a grown up, help him by all means but at the end of the day he should be trying to sort this out. I'm trying to help one of my off spring with various problems, but I'm only doing it as a 3rd party and you should do the same.

Hey Goodatresearch - the thread was started by a parent being pursued over a childs debt. I'm the actual borrower in this instance. Sorry for the confusion.

Hey Goodatresearch - the thread was started by a parent being pursued over a childs debt. I'm the actual borrower in this instance. Sorry for the confusion.

That's OK.

This could be an admin error on their behalf. Have you thought of doing a SAR?

I say this because I was once told by a catalogue company that I had not made a return. After many weeks of trying to speak to someone who would investigate properly, finally someone advised that returns were logged onto 2 databases and one of these databases confirmed the return.

I have no idea how your library works, but as said it could be a similar problem and they just haven't checked properly.

That's OK.

This could be an admin error on their behalf. Have you thought of doing a SAR?

I say this because I was once told by a catalogue company that I had not made a return. After many weeks of trying to speak to someone who would investigate properly, finally someone advised that returns were logged onto 2 databases and one of these databases confirmed the return.

I have no idea how your library works, but as said it could be a similar problem and they just haven't checked properly.

Good thinking, sounds like a good route to go down - they have emailed me screenshots of their systems but presumably an SAR will have something more formalised as a form of output.

• 7 months later...

I just got a Dunning letter from my university regarding this and I have seen a few email invoices in my spam folder now.

I graduated in 2012 and returned the books in April 2013 - about 5 months late.

The only reason I was able to do this was because I had a placement after my graduation.

Usually I would've have renewed the books online but my account was revoked so I didn't receive any notifications

via email (all correspondence with my uni was via the uni email).

I emailed the university to tell them I could not return ASAP because lack of transport but I got an ambiguous reply that

"I could return the books but this is not right".

Luckily I have kept the receipt of my return but atm I don't know where I stand.

I want to contact them but I'm afraid they will refuse and just keep asking for the money.

I am willing to pay the late fines but I think they are being unfair with the amount they want now - it currently stands at £177.

its a money making exercise ignore them all of you

re read this thread from post 1

dx

and they