Returning to no work - advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4031 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will try and keep this as brief as possible....

I currently work as a community carer....

....I have been on maternity leave and due to return Friday (12/04). I had to go in for a refresher manual handling course 2wks ago, at this I decided to tell my manager that I had been offered a new job and explained I was telling her because I wanted to be honest and her hear it from me rather than her just receiving a letter from my new employer asking for a reference. I also explained that I did not have a start date for the new job as it involves lots of checks and training beforehand and that it propbably wont be until the end of May....

...each week I have to go to the office to collect my list of clients for the following week. It was agreed with my manager that I would be working every Friday and every other weekend. Yesterday, I went to collect my list for next Friday and there wasnt one for me, when I asked I was told that there was no available work next Friday and that there probably wouldnt be much if any next weekend (I wont know for sure until this Friday as that is when the list is released).

My question is can they do this? I know that they are just trying to be awkward because I will evenually be leaving? My contract is flexible hours so I know they can cover themselves in that respect, but they are still advertising weekly for new employees and have been for the last year, so if the work isnt (apparently) there then how can they be advertising and yet not allocate me any work?

My manager has also told me that I will need to give 4wks notice which I thought was fine, but I have also been advised that because it is a flexible working hours contract and they are not allocating me any work that I can give them 4wks notice but not have to work it (if they give me any in the near future).

I also am waiting for them to supply a reference that they are dragging their heels on too.

Does anyone have info advise, help or information that could help me at all please?

In hindsight, I have now realised that honesty and loyalty to this employer is wasted on them and that I shouldnt have bothered being so honest to them.

what does it state in your contract of employment on hours, pay, and termination of employment

are you a worker or an employee

you either work your notice period or are given PILON

pay in lieu of notice

You seem to be on a zero hours contract, as many are in the care sector - this places you in an awkward position as it means that the employer is under no obligation to offer work, and you are equally entitled to reject jobs that are offered if you are unable to do them.

Your best bet is to ask for a meeting to discuss your working arrangements until the time that you leave. Ask outright whether you are not being offered work due to either you handing in your notice, or for some reason connected with your maternity leave (a very tenuous link, but possible).

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!