Overtime "from time to time"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Is anybody able to please give me some guidance on my situation with overtime.

I work for a maintenance company that deals with 'emergency' works.

We have 2 situations that overtime occurs:

- That at any time we are working, or on our way back to the office in an evening we can be called upon to attend new jobs, pushing us into overtime,

- That you are given more work in a day than you can physically complete, again pushing into overtime.

We are paid for this overtime (apart from 2 scenarios - 1. You get home early due to lack of work, spend 3hrs at home waiting for the phone to ring, the phone rings and you're forced to go back out with 30min left of your shift, they stop the overtime by 3hrs because you were at home for that time. 2. You get back to the office and clock out, they check van tracking to make sure that time between van arriving and clocking out card stamp is reasonable, and dock pay if they think not).

I digress, I had a run in with a manager today because I was not happy doing overtime as my jobs had been booked in assuming I would work later.

I said to him/her that my contract says from Time to Time, he said yes. I asked him what that means, he said what ever you interpret it as, but I need you to go.

To me it's a bit loose.

I've included quote from my contract below.

Ultimately I wish not to do overtime but am prepared to do it occasionally. The management feel that the overtime entry in my contract gives them license to control my life around work, and worryingly I think they might be right.

I will give my 3 months notice to opt into working time 48hr rule, but it probably won't affect me as in a 17week period I don't think I hit that limit.

The problem I have is that for 8 days I can't make any plans, incase I'm called upon to work.

Thanks for reading,

S.

P.s. I didn't go in the end, I asked if I could meet a colleague halfway to transfer stuff from vehicle to vehicle but ultimately he couldn't complete all of the job as he needed 2 people.

You will be required to work on any shift system used by the Company from time to time

including any night shift. The company reserves the right to require you to change shifts

(whether or not this will result in a reduction in wages). The Company will require night shift

workers to undergo a medical examination by the Company doctor at any time.

The Company currently operates an Eight days on early shift (Shift 1), and four days off

shift, system (“four day shift system”). Your normal hours of work on this shift system during

Shift 1 will be from 9.30am to 6.30pm. You will then be entitled to four days off subject to

the call-out and other requirements set out in this Agreement. There is an unpaid rest break

of 30 minutes each day on Shift 1 which you are required to take as a rest break under the

Working Time Regulations. You will also be required to work different, or any additional,

hours including overtime as required by the Company from time to time.

Sheila, sadly I think you are right and it is all above board. Do you have any caring responsibilities that would allow a flexible working request?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Emmzi I have no caring responsibilities and therefore no reason for a flexible working request.

"From time to time" is such a vague term - who is to say the company's interpretation or my interpretation is right.

I have searched online but don't find anything - I thought there may be some cases where this term would have been tested in court, but can't find anything.

Emmzi I have no caring responsibilities and therefore no reason for a flexible working request.

"From time to time" is such a vague term - who is to say the company's interpretation or my interpretation is right.

I have searched online but don't find anything - I thought there may be some cases where this term would have been tested in court, but can't find anything.

It's basically standard contractual wording. I would suggest that overtime is still subject to being reasonable, but looking at the contract and my knowledge of the industry, I don't think it's unreasonable... Yet!

The other point is I believe you are only required to give one weeks notice to opt back in to the 48 hour maximum week.