style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4038 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Like most people say, we've got ourselves into a bit of a mess and worried. Hopefully you will understand what im trying to say.

I moved in with my gf five years ago into her nursing accomodation studio flat which is meant for one person only (stated in contract) so we can't really say I live here as it will be breaking the contract. She receives a single occupancy discount and because the flat is only for one person I don't think we can tell the council that I've been staying here so they can remove the discount.

Before I moved in with her I was living in a house share in London and as we started to see each other the house where I was sharing was being sold so I had to move out and thought I'd move in here and didn't think the relationship would last this long. I know it's not an excuse but that was my thinking.

Now we are trying to move and buy a house together and worried that everything will come back on us. We are looking to buy a house through barratts homes at the moment but we can only get a large enough mortgage with both our names on the mortgage application.

My gf would be the primary applicant on the barratts form and me the secondary, would they do a background check on me or is it just the primary applicant?

I've looked at some council tax registration forms where they ask for the primary person name and address and how many people are staying at the property. Would the council ask for my previous address or need my name when registering?

I know this is wrong but Im just after some knowledge or advice if any. We are not receiving any benefits and do pay the council tax monthly, I'm just worried regarding any background searches just because of my address. The only thing I can think of doing at the moment is changing my address to a 'care of' to my parents address.

Thanks in advance

rob

Your Council Tax liability is a totally different matter from your partner's rent contract and should not affect it.

Honestly, you should have advised the council tax department when you moved in with your gf and paid the extra 25%.

ConsumerActionGroup does not encourage or assist people to try to commit fraud.

My advice would be to advise the Council of date you actually moved in.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

so telling the council, im assuming we will just have to pay the 25 percent difference over the last 5 years.

The Council would normally just rebill you/your partner for the extra 25% for whatever period you were living there.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

ok, I understand the seriousness of the situation. I've been worried about prosecution, prison etc. I worked out we owe £880 in total but I don't know if they add any extra charges. Thanks again

ok, I understand the seriousness of the situation. I've been worried about prosecution, prison etc. I worked out we owe £880 in total but I don't know if they add any extra charges. Thanks again

You probably wouldn't be prosecuted for that amount, especially if you offer a plan to repay. But please don't attempt to deceive either the council or any prospective mortgage company.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Every Local Authority is different, however I have worked for several over the last 20 years and none would prosecute over a misapplied single occupancy discount (especially if you came clean about it of your own volition).

I'd agree with the previous post - in my authority we would just issue you with an amended council tax demand and take the process through from there as per any normal council tax charge. A prosecution wouldn't be made.