Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    robdeperla Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2013

Default moving house and council tax

Hi,

Like most people say, we've got ourselves into a bit of a mess and worried. Hopefully you will understand what im trying to say.

I moved in with my gf five years ago into her nursing accomodation studio flat which is meant for one person only (stated in contract) so we can't really say I live here as it will be breaking the contract. She receives a single occupancy discount and because the flat is only for one person I don't think we can tell the council that I've been staying here so they can remove the discount.

Before I moved in with her I was living in a house share in London and as we started to see each other the house where I was sharing was being sold so I had to move out and thought I'd move in here and didn't think the relationship would last this long. I know it's not an excuse but that was my thinking.

Now we are trying to move and buy a house together and worried that everything will come back on us. We are looking to buy a house through barratts homes at the moment but we can only get a large enough mortgageicon with both our names on the mortgageicon application.

My gf would be the primary applicant on the barratts form and me the secondary, would they do a background check on me or is it just the primary applicant?

I've looked at some council tax registration forms where they ask for the primary person name and address and how many people are staying at the property. Would the council ask for my previous address or need my name when registering?

I know this is wrong but Im just after some knowledge or advice if any. We are not receiving any benefits and do pay the council tax monthly, I'm just worried regarding any background searches just because of my address. The only thing I can think of doing at the moment is changing my address to a 'care of' to my parents address.

Thanks in advance

rob

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative

Cagger since : Mar 2011

Default Re: moving house and council tax

Your Council Tax liability is a totally different matter from your partner's rent contract and should not affect it.

Honestly, you should have advised the council tax department when you moved in with your gf and paid the extra 25%.

ConsumerActionGroup does not encourage or assist people to try to commit fraud.

My advice would be to advise the Council of date you actually moved in.

Basic Account Holder
    robdeperla Novitiate

Yeah Thanks for that and totally appreciate it.

Basic Account Holder
    robdeperla Novitiate

so telling the council, im assuming we will just have to pay the 25 percent difference over the last 5 years.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative id6052 Authoritative

Quote Originally Posted by robdeperla View Post
    so telling the council, im assuming we will just have to pay the 25 percent difference over the last 5 years.
    The Council would normally just rebill you/your partner for the extra 25% for whatever period you were living there.

Basic Account Holder
    robdeperla Novitiate

ok, I understand the seriousness of the situation. I've been worried about prosecution, prison etc. I worked out we owe 880 in total but I don't know if they add any extra charges. Thanks again

Site Team antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone's Avatar

Cagger since : May 2009

ok, I understand the seriousness of the situation. I've been worried about prosecution, prison etc. I worked out we owe 880 in total but I don't know if they add any extra charges. Thanks again
    You probably wouldn't be prosecuted for that amount, especially if you offer a plan to repay. But please don't attempt to deceive either the council or any prospective mortgageicon company.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Every Local Authority is different, however I have worked for several over the last 20 years and none would prosecute over a misapplied single occupancy discount (especially if you came clean about it of your own volition).

Basic Account Holder
    ss002d6252 Informative ss002d6252 Informative ss002d6252 Informative ss002d6252 Informative ss002d6252 Informative

Cagger since : Feb 2006

I'd agree with the previous post - in my authority we would just issue you with an amended council tax demand and take the process through from there as per any normal council tax charge. A prosecution wouldn't be made.

Basic Account Holder
    robdeperla Novitiate

Thanks everyone for the advice. Wheels are in motion.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details