Want to leave job but signed 2 year contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I signed a 2-year fixed contract with an IT consulting company in October after completing their 8 week training programme which also required me to sign a 'training contract'.

Part of my job requires me to geographically flexible and for the past 6 months I have been.

However recent developments back home mean that I need to move back in and take care of my sister who is mentally handicapped and is undergoing an eye operation in April.

Now, my company wants me to move to Glasgow for 6 months after already being in Southampton for the past 6 months, while originally being from the Midlands.

The practicality of working in Glasgow does not work with my obligation to take care of my sister and despite explaining the situation to my line manager he insists that I must go else it will go to HR and could potentially get 'messy'.

According to my contract if I leave inside 2 years I have to payback £17,500 + VAT in training costs.

What should I do?

Is it a large firm? Are you the sole carer for your sister?

I am thinbking about family freidnly flexible working legislation but a small company would not need to comply if it were inconvenient.

Who usually looks after your sister and why can they not cope?

What was the training course? £17k sounds more like degree costs than an 8 week programme. Can they prove the cost?

Can you apply for a career break for a few months?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It is quite a large firm, FTSE 100 listed.

I am not the sole carer , my mother usually looks after my sister and will continue to do so, however given the recent decision for her to have the operation I stressed with my line manager that it was imperative for me to placed closer to home so that I can help take care and be reachable in the case of emergencies as my mother does not drive and my father works on the road full-time but erratic hours.

I agree about the training costs. This actually their graduate scheme that I am on but its more like graduate exploitation. I doubt they can prove the costs as all we did was read and play about with some pc-based tools. Their biggest contribution to my 'training' was paying for my certification which cost in the region of £150.

If you're on a graduate scheme with a FTSE 100 company I'd advise seeing through the training programme if at all possible, this experience will be very useful for your cv later.

A company that size should be flexible and I think will probably try to be - it could be your manager has his wires crossed slightly.

Is it just until April that you need to care for your sister - would you be able to do the 6 months in Glasgow after that?

I'd like to stay with the company as I don't really want the hassle of having to find another job.

My manager has tried his best to not get me on this project but apparently the client is very keen on having me and wants to meet me face to face before it is confirmed.

Yes it would only be for the first couple of months after her operation that she would need as much help as possible after which my parent should be able to manage and I would be happy to relocate to Glasgow.

Ok, sorry, it sounds as if your manager is trying to be helpful.

A graduate trainee position in a top firm is not easy to come by, and the fact that you're already getting positive feedback from clients means I would strongly advise you to stay put.

It should be possible to work something out for the next couple of months which is acceptable to everyone. Instead of being based in Glasgow, how about being based in the midlands and travelling to Glasgow on those days where you have client meetings for the next couple of months - do you think that would work?

Sadly as you are not the primary carer you have little in the way of legislation that will help.

Honestly, I would be giving my mum a bit of spare cash for emergency taxi fund, taking some holiday for the first week or two, and visiting every weekend to give them a break. Mum may also approecaite some help from social services suggesting a care plan in conjunction with the doctor, and arrnaging eg meals on wheels, a cleaner, laundry service for the first few weeks to take the pressure off her.

I know it is tough living away from family - I am many miles from my (stubborn won't accept help) parents, but now you are in the kind if job you are, people will need to adjust. I have a big list of emergency services and care agencies I can sort out fairly fast if they need them. I also get groveries delivered to them (as they strugle to work supermarket websites!)

Glasgow to most parts of Mids is 4 hours on the train - it's a PITA but it's doable, Friday and Sunday night journeys.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

yes I really think you should stay with this company it may be hard for a while but in the long run you will benefit, and although your dad is on the road a lot prehaps he could take a couple of weeks holiday as well to help out a bit more

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Hi yes maybe you are right and I am over reacting.

It's just the timing is a bit off as I really want to be around for my sister, and Glasgow is so damn far away and I fear I will be cut off from my family and friends.

Fortunately it will be from April to October so I'll get to enjoy summer there.

I know hon - your a good man! Glasgow airport do regular flights to Brum and EMA, so worth checking out the cheap book in advance rates too.

Have you discussed with your folks yet? I am pretty sure mine would go daft at me giving up a great job opportunity for a few weeks of extra hands!

Well, as a Glaswegian I'd advise that summer might be a disappointment. April to October would be nice, but a couple of days in August is more likely!!

Try and speak to your manager or HR - maybe two months is the maximum time in which your sister will need extended care, possibly the period will be shorter. Try and think of some suggestions you can make, and think about the options which have been put to you here. And if you're in Glasgow and there is an emergency it will be possible to return to the midlands fairly quickly.

altobelli you just single handedly made my mind up for me:roll:

haha only joking.

if I go i will insist that I'm there no later than october .

I don't know how useful HR would be here, the only rep I spoke seem to be very hard-faced and was keen to point out if you leave inside 2 years you have to pay back their investment i.e. the training costs in me.