Claim for Lost Engagement Ring

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Last night I left my wedding and engagement rings at a studio we use at the local sports centre.

My husband and I were the only ones using the studio and the last ones out of the sports centre. I realise I'd left them on the table in the studio half way home, tried calling but no answer.

I phoned first thing this morning to find that the cleaners had already been and nobody had handed anything in!!

I have phoned the police to report them stolen, but wonder were I stand with my insurance policy, we added all of our rings to the policy when we bought them, so they are listed in the possessions section, but wonder if the fact that I forgot them will be a problem.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tx

You will have to check their T&Cs.

Even if you are covered, your insurers are likely to wriggle. Check the wording very carefully

Hi

Thank you for replying

There are two terms in particular that bother me - these are under what is not covered.

for theft or disappearance of jewellery from baggage unless

such baggage is carried by hand and under your personal

supervision

and

for unexplained or mysterious disappearance of jewellery or

watches

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Tx

You need to be careful. The items left/stolen would needed to have been within your supervision at the time of loss. Obviously you had just left they behind, so they will ask many questions to find out why this was the case. They will also ask why the rings were not placed in a safe or locker or just left at home. They will ask whether it is usual for you to have taken the rings off. I think the Insurers will require a cognitive interview to be undertaken, which is designed to find out whether the claim event is likely to be truthful or not.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

Thank you for your response.

I always wear my rings, I have to take them off when we dance as they tend to cut into my husbands fingers. We use the same studio almost every week and we are the last session of the evening. No-one else is in the studio with us, nor could anyone come into the studio without us noticing.

I usually take my rings off and put them on the table next to the sound system and then put them back on as we leave, on this ocassion we got into the studio late after a mix up with our booking, so we left in a bit of a hurry as it was later than usual.

We called the sport centre several times as soon as we had realised, but with no answer. So we called back first thing before it opened, but was told that cleaners etc had already been around, and no-one had seen them.

So I called the police and left the details with them, they said that they would go down and speak to the manager. I haven't heard back about this yet

It's a truthful claim so I will happily go through an interview, to be honest I just want my rings back!

Tx

Make enquiries with the studio about any CCTV that may be available and to advise them that a theft has been reported. Perhaps there is CCTV coverage of the studio ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Unfortunately there is no CCTV in the studio, and I don't think there is any in the sports centre at all.

I told the manager that I would need to report them as stolen, but he wasn't really interested and said he didn't really know what they would do!

Tx

I can se the insurance would be difficult on this as the rings wernt lost they appear to have been stolen but not from your home, i would report the theft to the police and get a crime number to back up your claim to the insurance, also the cleaning company may make investigations if you have reported it as a theft.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

As advised, check the wording of the insurance policy but from what you point out above there is no mystery to the disappearance, they were stolen by persons unknown.

The other bit refers to things being pinched by baggage handlers so always carry valuable with you on planes.

get in touch with the police again and get a crime number if nothing else. If your insurers wont play ball then consider telling the sports centre you wish to claim against theirs and will sue if they dont co-operate.