Council tax benefit abolished

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Letter in the post has confirmed that from 1st April 2013 council tax benefit has been abolished. I think those on low income will struggle even more then they are at the moment. I can see more people receiving further costs by the way of a summons. When is this madness going to end..

It has not been totally abolished but replaced with a locally administered scheme. In my area i will need to pay 8% of my bill but also still keep my 25% single person discount.

I agree it is madness, benefits have increased by 1% and they were only supposed to be subsistence level anyway.

This madness won't end until the likes of the daily mail stop clashing all people on benefits as scroungers but at the same time there needs to be public confidence in the system.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Letter in the post has confirmed that from 1st April 2013 council tax benefit has been abolished. I think those on low income will struggle even more then they are at the moment. I can see more people receiving further costs by the way of a summons. When is this madness going to end..

Old news,it's been discussed in this part of CAG in several threadshttp://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?160-Benefits-and-HMRC

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?378573-Poll-Tax-2-even-bigger-cuts-to-Council-Tax-benefit

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Had nothing from my local council yet :( I struggled to pay this year as they said as my son was on the lease he was responsable for 50% of it but he nolonger lives here but left his name on the lease so I can keep my home.

• 4 weeks later...

Incapacity benefit recipient wife severe disabled

Social housing tenant

Last year i had to pay £600 of my £1000 ct bill

This year the bill has risen to £1,049 and i have been given £141 discount meaning i have to pay £908

an increase of £300

Had nothing from my local council yet I struggled to pay this year as they said as my son was on the lease he was responsable for 50% of it but he nolonger lives here but left his name on the lease so I can keep my home.

Form a council tax point of view this is incorrect, if your son has his main residence elsewhere then he should not be treated as resident at your property (irrespective of any lease) and consequently only you should be libel for the council tax. Which would entitle you to Council Tax Reduction Scheme on 100% of the charge.

I'd agree with revshelp, if your sons 'sole or main residence' is elsewhere then he's not resident for council tax purposes but it depends on why he has left - the council may be regarding it as his 'sole or main residence' on the basis he has the option to return to the property and his absence is only temporary (this may be the correct determination but you would need to confirm why he left the property and the situation regarding were he is living now).