Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Gold Account Holder Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Aug 2008

Default Council tax benefit abolished

Letter in the post has confirmed that from 1st April 2013 council tax benefit has been abolished. I think those on low income will struggle even more then they are at the moment. I can see more people receiving further costs by the way of a summons. When is this madness going to end..

Gold Account Holder fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative

Cagger since : Dec 2012

Default Re: Council tax benefit abolished

It has not been totally abolished but replaced with a locally administered scheme. In my area i will need to pay 8% of my bill but also still keep my 25% single person discount.

I agree it is madness, benefits have increased by 1% and they were only supposed to be subsistence level anyway.
    This madness won't end until the likes of the daily mail stop clashing all people on benefits as scroungers but at the same time there needs to be public confidence in the system.

Gold Account Holder Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative Consumer dude Informative

Cagger since : Aug 2008

Pensioners will not be affected by the change and can still get up to 100% of their council tax covered.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002 Highly informative 45002's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer dude View Post
    Letter in the post has confirmed that from 1st April 2013 council tax benefit has been abolished. I think those on low income will struggle even more then they are at the moment. I can see more people receiving further costs by the way of a summons. When is this madness going to end..

Old news,it's been discussed in this part of CAGicon in several threadshttp://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...efits-and-HMRC

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...il-Tax-benefit

Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative fletch70 Highly informative

Cagger since : Dec 2012

Maybe but in some areas they have only just sent out notifications of how it will work.
    So in that respect it ain't old news

Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    Sparks_ Informative Sparks_ Informative Sparks_ Informative Sparks_ Informative

Cagger since : May 2012

Had nothing from my local council yet I struggled to pay this year as they said as my son was on the lease he was responsable for 50% of it but he nolonger lives here but left his name on the lease so I can keep my home.

Basic Account Holder
    biglesbo Novitiate

Cagger since : Jun 2006

Incapacity benefit recipient wife severe disabled
    Social housing tenant

Last year i had to pay 600 of my 1000 ct bill
    This year the bill has risen to 1,049 and i have been given 141 discount meaning i have to pay 908
    an increase of 300

Basic Account Holder
    revshelp Novitiate

Cagger since : Apr 2012

Had nothing from my local council yet I struggled to pay this year as they said as my son was on the lease he was responsable for 50% of it but he nolonger lives here but left his name on the lease so I can keep my home.
    Form a council tax point of view this is incorrect, if your son has his main residence elsewhere then he should not be treated as resident at your property (irrespective of any lease) and consequently only you should be libel for the council tax. Which would entitle you to Council Tax Reduction Scheme on 100% of the charge.

Basic Account Holder
    ss002d6252 Informative ss002d6252 Informative ss002d6252 Informative ss002d6252 Informative ss002d6252 Informative

Cagger since : Feb 2006

I'd agree with revshelp, if your sons 'sole or main residence' is elsewhere then he's not resident for council tax purposes but it depends on why he has left - the council may be regarding it as his 'sole or main residence' on the basis he has the option to return to the property and his absence is only temporary (this may be the correct determination but you would need to confirm why he left the property and the situation regarding were he is living now).

Basic Account Holder
    biglesbo Novitiate

Cagger since : Jun 2006

sorry pressed the wrong button

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details