£350 Supermarket till shorts, for the month of Jan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Early on last week, was called up stairs to speak to one of the support colleague, at this meeting I was told for the month of Jan, I have been £350 short while on the tills, thats alot of money to be short or missing from tills I have been on, about £30 per day based on my shifts done during Jan

We went through the usual routine, did you count your change, were there any problems, did you give any one cash back, was you till left unlocked and unattended; these were answered to my best of my knowledge, and it was left there, and I returned to my checkout

The next day, i was called up to see one of the key colleague, someone who is training to be a manager, now this took a different turn

Was told to sit down and then told about the seriousness of thise till shorts, she produced a table, with names, and she points out, Im 4th on the table, and this is unacceptable, and I must do better, now my reply to her, was I not done anything wrong, why would I

She now tells me, if this continues on in Feb, I will be investigated by the security manager, so I best buck up: Now I consider what she was say, and I believe indirectly she was accusing me of theft

Now Im not to concerned about this, as in jan I was working 18 days in row, doing between 7-10 hr shifts

Talking to other colleague find out they got the same spiel, and they felt the same, way they were alos being accused of theft

It seems far to easy for the supermarkets to just blame the operator, now I have asked the manager, if they exhaust all means, do they ever find out what caused the till short...no they dont

I believe I may get called up stairs once more, have done alot of hours, and been on more than on check out, so there bound to be some issue

Questions

Do I need to sign documents, in relation to till shorts

Can I ask whta other colleague were on these tills, on the same day as me

Can I request another colleague be present when this take place

There maybe other thing I can ask, or do but dont know, mayvbe you can input aswell

What is the process for till checks? Do yu get your own till and is it counted and checked with you present at start and end of shift?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

What is the process for till checks? Do yu get your own till and is it counted and checked with you present at start and end of shift?

My normal shift for a Sat would be 11am - 8pm, when I arrive instore, I would chewck the rota, which will, tell me which till I am on, and in store we have 25 tills; the till are already filled up with money, and these tills noever gop into the cash office, as on operator we just move about the till

About 2:30pm, I will go for lunch, and another colleague will let me of, I may return to that till, or be place on another till, around 6pm I will get a 20 min break, someone will let me of the till, so on Sat I could have been on 3 different tills, and 6 other colleague have also been on these tills

Most cash dealing companies allow to you to check your own till before and after.

Is there anything in you working regs that states this?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Most cash dealing companies allow to you to check your own till before and after.

Is there anything in you working regs that states this?

The only thing were allowed to check is when change is given to us; 100 x £1 coins, £50 of fivers £!0 of 50p 20p 10p 5p, bag of 2p and 1p. At the end of the night the till system give a final total for each till, and all cash is sent to the cahs office in pods, each marked down for each till, and someone in the cash office counts the notes

On a busy day, Fri/sat I can have at least £1000 in my till, which get emptied, but soon fills up, and my store can take in £150,000 sale per day...Fri/Sat

Mmmmm i remember that when i worked on tills we signed out a float we counted it and verified by the manager than if we went on break our till was either locked or the cash draw was removed and put in a safe so we could be held responsible for our cash but if your using different tills how can they pin one person id personally speak to a union somethings not right as if you cant check your float at the beggining of your shift how do you know whats in there??

You say you were asked "was you till left unlocked and unattended". If your till is supposed to be locked when it is left unattended, then I do not see how other colleagues could use the till?It sounds like there might be a disagreement between support/management who want to do things properly and the shop floor who want to take the easy route of just having people jump on random tills as and when required. I think the best course of action might be to insist on checking your till in future, explain that you can't take responsibility for a till you haven't checked and make sure your till is locked (and manager knows colleagues are not allowed to unlock it).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

You say you were asked "was you till left unlocked and unattended". If your till is supposed to be locked when it is left unattended, then I do not see how other colleagues could use the till?It sounds like there might be a disagreement between support/management who want to do things properly and the shop floor who want to take the easy route of just having people jump on random tills as and when required. I think the best course of action might be to insist on checking your till in future, explain that you can't take responsibility for a till you haven't checked and make sure your till is locked (and manager knows colleagues are not allowed to unlock it).

I imagine this is an EPOS system, which means that when one person leaves the till, they 'sign out' usually using an operator code of some sort, and the next person signs in.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Hi

This would also concern me as:

1. You according to there rules go onto a till during your shift and till is already filled with whatever float - You are not allowed to check the accuracy of that float before using till which means that till is unchecked and could be short and the money shortages could be from those that filled the floats on those tills.

2. At end of shift you are still not allowed to checked the accuracy of the till as this is sent direct to the cash office - Rasies more question over not being able to check till accuracy and that the money shortages could either be a cash office error counting or something else.

3. Their does seem to be a serious lack of cash security as anyone from filling till floats to the cash office itself infact had access to make those shortages and the person on the till is being blamed for something outwith their area as they are not allowed to check the accurracy of the float at the start and the accuracy at the end of the day.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

£30 a day shorts and you are only 4th on the 'league table'? I find that incredible and it suggests that something is VERY badly wrong! I would have been working with security well before now...there are either pods going missing, several cashiers can't count change out, or somebody with access to all of the tills has sticky fingers.

Simple. You are under special scrutiny, so should insist on a proper check being made every time you get off the till and before somebody else takes over.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Theres a simple answer. If multiple people are using your till, unless they have concrete evidence that you are taking money from the till, then they cannot do ANYTHING.

Sidewinders advice is good.

You are under special scrutiny, so should insist on a proper check being made every time you get off the till and before somebody else takes over.
Everytime you leave the till, get the supervisor or manager to count the till or at least lock it and sign the receipt that is normally printed when you sign off. If they refuse to sign it, go higher up the chain until someone listens.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It is a problem with multiple user tills with each person having a record of THEIR transaction as and a total to reconcile but it doesnt tell you who has made the error. The till CCTV should tell the company if there is anything obvious and some systems tie the camera to real time till records so if someone was handing out tenners to their best mate the record of how much change is due should match the picture of the money being handed over. Suggest to your supervisors that they look into this as a method of showing that the problem is not with you and that you would appreciate it if the accusations of incompetence or dishonesty were investigated before being broadcast.

In most supermarkets the cashier signs off and the till automatically records what was in the till at the time along with everything that was scanned. No matter who unlocks it, they need a unique code which signs them in, and the count starts in their name.

It might even be that a supervisor or another member of staff is pocketing the cash and then trying to fiddle the numbers so it shows someone else as the culprit.

However, since multiple people use the till and it seems they have no checking system in place, they would be very foolish to accuse the OP of theft without 100% conclusive evidence.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D