style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi bet I'm in wrong place, hope someone will move me to the correct place need some advice.

I live in a three story block of flats

a new tenant moved in below me around 18 months ago,

I recently received a complaint from the housing officer regarding my washing machine being on during the night,

its on a timer to start during the cheap rates times economy 7 once a week, it sits in the kitchen on a concrete floor.

The tenant claims he can hear said washing machine, the housing officer has told me to stop using the machine and only use it in the day.

Ive been using this machine since the tenant moved in as I said 18 months ago and well before that,

what I don't understand is why has it only become a problem now I feel there is some aggregating going on regards to the noise level

can the housing officer tell me to stop using washing machine with out checking first whether it really is a problem and not just take the tenants word for it that it is.

what's next my tumble dryer my fridge. :evil:

Edited by matt v atos

I have to be honest, about 10 years ago we lived in a flat and our upstairs neighbours had a washing machine on a concrete floor. I think you'd be surprised how incredibly loud it is in your neighbour's flat - we couldn't hear the TV, or each other speak. I think because the ceiling cavity acted as an amplifier, it was actually much louder in our flat than it was in their own.

That being said, they had it on every day not just once a week, and I appreciate that if you're on Economy 7 it is cheaper to use it at night. Is there any way you could place it on something to dampen the noise?

In fact, what about something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VIBRATION-DAMPERS-Dampeners-Pack-Dishwasher/dp/B002V7Y8JY

• Confused 1

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Hello there.

I'll check which is likely to be the best forum for you. What time/s are you using the machine please?

And has the housing office checked the noise level, for example?

My best, HB

That info is in my post #1

I have to be honest, about 10 years ago we lived in a flat and our upstairs neighbours had a washing machine on a concrete floor. I think you'd be surprised how incredibly loud it is in your neighbour's flat - we couldn't hear the TV, or each other speak. I think because the ceiling cavity acted as an amplifier, it was actually much louder in our flat than it was in their own.

That being said, they had it on every day not just once a week, and I appreciate that if you're on Economy 7 it is cheaper to use it at night. Is there any way you could place it on something to dampen the noise?

In fact, what about something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VIBRATION-DAMPERS-Dampeners-Pack-Dishwasher/dp/B002V7Y8JY

It goes to a fast spin for 3 nins and it don't bounce around it don't make a noise when on wash only on spin

Hello there.

I'll check which is likely to be the best forum for you. What time/s are you using the machine please?

And has the housing office checked the noise level, for example?

My best, HB

No the housing officer has checked nothing

Yes, but three minutes on a fast spin is enough to wake you up when it sounds like the machine is going to come through your ceiling. :-)

Honestly, I can only advise you based on my own experience, and that is that it's probably much louder in their flat than it is in yours. I'll also be honest and say that although I never complained to them or anyone else while we were there, if they'd been using it through the night I probably would have done. Unfortunately, noise issues are an occupational hazard of living in flats, I'm afraid. In my experience, it's better to try to find a compromise rather than let it escalate into a tenant war. Is it coming on at 10pm?

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

Yes, but three minutes on a fast spin is enough to wake you up when it sounds like the machine is going to come through your ceiling. :-)

Honestly, I can only advise you based on my own experience, and that is that it's probably much louder in their flat than it is in yours. I'll also be honest and say that although I never complained to them or anyone else while we were there, if they'd been using it through the night I probably would have done. Unfortunately, noise issues are an occupational hazard of living in flats, I'm afraid. In my experience, it's better to try to find a compromise rather than let it escalate into a tenant war. Is it coming on at 10pm?

Yes around that time

Well, all I can really say is that it's up to you where you go from here - just bear in mind that he/she has already chosen to go to a housing officer rather than have a polite word with you about it first. These things have a nasty way of escalating into 'us v's them' situations - if it was me, I'd stick a polite note through his door saying that I didn't realise it was so loud, I'd try to find a way to reduce the noise in future but if it's still a problem come and let me know.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen your other post. Just contact the housing officer, tell her that you've apologised and are going to try to dampen the noise in future. To be honest, nothing's going to happen unless he continues to complain and they actually do end up monitoring the noise. Even then, I can't see noise occurring once a week affecting your tenancy. Do you have a tenants handbook? Have a look at what their policies are on handling 'noise nuisance'.

Well, all I can really say is that it's up to you where you go from here - just bear in mind that he/she has already chosen to go to a housing officer rather than have a polite word with you about it first. These things have a nasty way of escalating into 'us v's them' situations - if it was me, I'd stick a polite note through his door saying that I didn't realise it was so loud, I'd try to find a way to reduce the noise in future but if it's still a problem come and let me know.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen your other post. Just contact the housing officer, tell her that you've apologised and are going to try to dampen the noise in future. To be honest, nothing's going to happen unless he continues to complain and they actually do end up monitoring the noise. Even then, I can't see noise occurring once a week affecting your tenancy. Do you have a tenants handbook? Have a look at what their policies are on handling 'noise nuisance'.

Thanks for your reply just think the noise level should have been checked first to confirm the tenant was right I would not have a problem with this.:evil:

Ironically, the housing officer was probably trying to stop the situation escalating to where the noise levels need to be checked, by having a quiet word and letting you know that he's getting wound up about it.

liasing with the neighbour is a very good idea

it might also be an idea to ask for how long this had been going on too.

it might well be that its got worse or only started in recent weeks.

could indicate something is going unbalaced in the machine or its walked a bit or the bearings are on the way out

if its just ac ase of they've had it for 18mts and just decided to mention in fair enough

but if the noise has changed of recent, its worth an investigation

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Probably not a bad idea. At least then you'll have it in writing as to whether you're breaking any rules.

liasing with the neighbour is a very good idea

it might also be an idea to ask for how long this had been going on too.

it might well be that its got worse or only started in recent weeks.

could indicate something is going unbalaced in the machine or its walked a bit or the bearings are on the way out

if its just ac ase of they've had it for 18mts and just decided to mention in fair enough

but if the noise has changed of recent, its worth an investigation

dx

This info is in post #1

I would go and speak to the neighbour and ask her if you put the washing machine on could you pop in to hear what the problem is during the day.

It may be a lot louder to neighbour but even if it doesn't seem that loud to you it clearly does to them at night and probably keeps her awake.

Your neighbour may well be a light sleeper.

Then you could try muffling the sound and see if what you come up with is acceptable.

I would guess that perhaps your neighbour was nervous about speaking direct, some people can get aggressive and take offence when spoken to.

It is easier to reach an amicable solution with your neighbour explaining why you use it at night, than going through a third party.

Once you have taken steps to reduce ' the noise' to an acceptable level.

Might be interesting what else your neighbour can hear below?

I had a friend who lived in a flat and one of the two residents sounded like an elephant thumping across the floor even though clearly it was without shoes.

Also we could hear them quite clearly just talking in a normal voice.

If there is insufficient sound proofing the council might have to do something about it but if it's just the machine then you might be able to solve that yourself.

Anyway you might just meet a very nice neighbour grateful for your genuine concern in trying to remedy their problem. It's no fun being kept awake at night.

If you ignore the problem, the council may put recording equipment in the flat below to monitor the noise nuisance and use as evidence for any action they decide to take.

So let them know you are in contact with the neighbour in an attempt to find an amicable solution for you both

and then let them know when you've how and when you managed to resolve the problem.

It may be useful to them as I'm sure this is likely to be a fairly common complaint in flats. Good luck.

I do understand your annoyance, Matt. Unfortunately, once they start getting equipment in to check the noise levels, the situation has already escalated and I'm sure that's something that the Housing Association (and you, really) would prefer to avoid.

I do understand your annoyance, Matt. Unfortunately, once they start getting equipment in to check the noise levels, the situation has already escalated and I'm sure that's something that the Housing Association (and you, really) would prefer to avoid.

If you made a complaint one would not be suprised if your complaint was checked out first in case it was being exaggerated.

If you made a complaint one would not be suprised if your complaint was checked out first in case it was being exaggerated.

Fair enough - as I say, I understand why you're annoyed. Lets see what the HA come up with - you should have a much clearer idea of where you stand when they reply.