• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS say I owe them money, my account/s are in balance.

shakuri
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help.

I had a letter on the 28th from RBS saying that they have tried to contact me to ask me to pay money into my "account or accounts".It also threatens to impose a Default or Termination notice. On top of that they say they have passed my details on the Power2Contact and have cancelled cards and chequebooks.

Nowhere on this letter does it say what they think I owe nor to which account it relates and I have checked my online banking to see that I am within the agreed overdraft limits on my overdraft, my loan is paid up to date and my credit card is in balance.

They want me to call them on an 0845 number between Monday-Saturday 8-9pm. unfortunately I work from 8-11 everyday but sunday and have no time to contact them, nor do I wish to call them on a premium rate number.

I sent them a letter yesterday to ask what monies they think i owe and to which account it relates, i have also told them that I cannot call them on the hours they state.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I'm not sure why RBS can't send me a letter telling me what monies they think I owe?

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chances are this is an error, I do hope so.

If you get a letter from Power2Contact - simply respond with a short sharp letter advising the account is in dispute with the original creditor. P2C are a nasty company who make unpleasant statements and or threaten doorstep visits and or the selling of your first born.

You should keep any communication from them for a later complaint to the OFT.

Meanwhile, if you do not get a satisfactory response from your letter to RBS - then send another under the heading of an Official Complaint - to their Registered/Head Office.

Doing it this way ensures they are obliged to respond and within 8 weeks - you should make it quite clear that you require everything in writing - this is in your interests as it will ensure a paper trail should things get unpleasant and you have to go to the Financial Ombudsman.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the response, will send a letter to Power2Contact telling them to back off.

I've kept all letters from RBS for the past two years, as I have had trouble with creditors in the past so I try to keep all corresponsce via letter or email now for my own safegaurd.

I shall let you know of any developments.

In response to my letter asking what monies I owe, I was sent a letter merely telling me what my account balances were, of which I already knew! Hardly a response to my query at all.

I also strangely received a letter yesterday regarding my loan account which read "in response to your recent request for an Early Settlement quote" something which I didn't request at all.

Some strange things going on here. Not liking the robot like responses from RBS either!

This is the reason you should write to their Head/Registered office - heading your letter "Official Complaint".

If you bullet point your concerns and what you require by way of resolution, chances are you will get some attention.

Almost certainly you are wanting to know how they can claim you are in negative balance when your statements say you have a positive balance ?

RBS are probably one of the worse banks to deal with and you do have to persist.

You might also want to point out to them that they are responsible for the actions of their 3rd party agents.. Power2Contact !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just thought I would post an update on the situation.

Official complaint letter was sent on the 4th Feb. I have since received a letter stating that they are looking into it in more detail and that I would receive a response in 2 weeks. This has happened three times now. It is basically just a templated letter but with new dates on them.

I know they have 8 weeks to respond however I haven't been able to use my account since 28th January and they clearly have taken no notice of that as I have been sent several letters detailing charges and also letters stating I owe money for my loan. Of course I cannot pay my loan as my account has been restricted.

As of yet I haven't had an actual person contact me, all i have been getting is templated letters and I can only assume they haven't even looked at the issue at all because they would have at least explained what was going on or put my account on hold.

At the moment I believe the 8 weeks is up on 1st April, should I wait until then to do anything or do something now?

Thanks

You must send a follow up letter to your original complaint - this should advise that despite the fact you have an official complaint in place, which they are obviously not rushing to resolve, you are now being threatened with Debt collectors because your loan is not being paid.

Remind them that it is they who have frozen your accounts for reasons only known to them, that you are unable to pay the loan as it is usually dealt with by way of a Direct Debit/Standing order/Online transfer from the accounts that they have denied you access to.

That you do NOT have any other bank accounts, perhaps they could make sure that this letter is added to your complaint of DATE in order to come to a swift resolution.

Remind them that they have until April 1st, when you will take advice on what further action you will need to take.

Make sure you use any reference numbers they have given you to ensure that this "addition to Formal Complaint dated XYZ" finds it way to the original complaint.

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Today I received another templated letter (dated 21st march) saying they would be in touch by the 8th of April. To this day I have had no indication that any of my letter or original complaint have even had an eye glance over them.

I did a little bit of research around these forums and decided to contact Stephen Hesters Office to try and force things along. I received an email Tuesday 9.32am stating the following:

Thank you for your email which has been received by Stephen Hester's office.

We are sorry to hear of the problems you have encountered recently. Your complaint will be allocated to a case manager who will aim to be in touch in the next 48 hours. As you have contacted us by email, we will need to identify you for security purposes and your case manager will outline how we do this when they contact you.

If you do have any queries in the meantime, please feel free to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Group Executive Office

Not had anything back as of yet (50 hours after their email) and I am not holding my breath for anything today. With it being Easter this weekend I do not expect anything from them before the deadline.

Any ideas on what avenue I should go down next, small claims court or FOS?

Thanks

Ok, if you havent had a response by 8th of April or if you only receive a further "waiting time" response then it might be worth you giving them a final 7 day letter when you will then need to take your complaint to the FOS.

BCOBS

The deadline is 1st April (8 weeks from 4th Feb). Do you think I will have more chance of a satisfactory response if I tell them I will be taking them to court rather than FOS?

Unless you are definitely going to issue a claim - do not make the threat - they receive letters making threats of court every day which people do not follow up, so they treat this type of letter with contemp..

So yes, if you are going to follow through and issue a claim then you can advise that this is what you are going to do.

BCOBS

I do actually plan on going through with it. I have no doubt in my mind that I will win this so nothing to loose.

Should I do this alongside FOS or just court alone?

Thanks for your help

• 3 weeks later...

I finally received a response from the Group Executive Office on Friday 12th April. This response was only received after I sent an email to Stephen Hester's office. The case was transferred from the collections complaint department to the group complaints department.

The response itself details the following-

1. Regarding the delay they claim that although it must have frustrating for me, they kept me informed of their ongoing investigation- A templated letter saying they are still looking into it doesn't constitute keeping me informed as far as I'm concerned.

2. They claim that my account went into an unarranged overdraft on 2 occasions in November and December and that my account was passed to collections on the 7th November after the first instance- They fail to note that I covered the shortfall on both occasions

3. The letter they sent to me on the 20th of January was due to a "concern things could get worse" for me- on the 20th January my account was healthy and around 250 in balance.

I've sent a letter back citing BCOBS rules 5.1.1 and 5.1.4 and given them 7 days to respond before action.

Did you also respond to the points in their letter..

I find their response quite bizarre.. They sent you a letter saying you owe them money when your account is in credit.. and then say they sent it because they assumed things could get worse ?

BCOBS

Yes, I responded to all points and cited BCOBS rules 5.1.1 and 5.1.4 within those responses.

Yes it is quite bizzare, I feel like there is some sort of automated system that caused the error but they don't want to admit they are at fault.

Just to be clear, the original letter stated "We've been trying to contact you and we've been asking you to call us or pay money into your account or accounts"

There may have been missed calls when I was working but with no messages left I have no way of knowing. No other letters were sent previously relating to this.

Still awaiting a response from RBS.

• 2 weeks later...

Response received today.

"I remain of the view that the Bank has not acted unfairly by withdrawing partial access to your account, which you have confirmed you were made aware of" - Yes of course I was aware of this, it is the very nature of the complaint!!!!

"As you have stated in your letter, you understood you financial position at that time yet you have failed to make efforts to contact the bank to address the situation" - Why would I contact the Bank to tell them my account is in balance????

"With this in mind, I confirm that the Bank is not prepared to return you account to the position it was in on 20 January, and I re-iterate my recommendation that you contact our Collections Department as advised in my previous letter. I trust this clarifies the Bank's position"

Sorry for the overuse of punctuation there, I am still very angry about this response.

The points in my letter were not even touched upon and clarifies my opinion that RBS really do not care! What are your thought's on where to go next with this.

N.B. I have since found 2 letters dated November 2012 and December 2013 which notified me of the overdraft and loan shortfall, as mentioned previously, both of these letters say to either call RBS or make payment, on both occasions I chose to make payment. Is it worth sending copies of these letters to RBS to show that I did exactly what they asked in Nov and Dec?

Thanks for your support so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

RBS have decided not to respond any further to the points I have made and so I have referred this case to the FOS. I also sent them a letter letting them know this and requested that all recovery action is suspended until the FOS have adjudicated, to which they have accepted to do.

I received a default notice yesterday on my credit card (which is part of the same complaint). Should I make them aware that I have this letter accepting that all debt recovery will be suspended?

Yes, I think you should send a letter along the lines of ..

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am in receipt of your Default Notice DATED.

You will be aware that I have now lodged a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman and I would remind you that in a telephone call/letter DATED, you confirmed that no further collection activity would be taken on this account until after the Financial Ombudsman had adjudicated.

Therefore the arrival of the Default Notice would appear to be a breach of that conversation/letter.

Yours etc.

BCOBS

Hi,

I have an ongoing dispute with RBS- see this thread

The complaint regards all accounts with them and was due to an action that RBS took to place restriction on my accounts.

Recently I referred the complaint to the FOS and also let RBS know about this, I also requested that all collection activity is suspended until the FOS adjudicate, to which they accepted.

My issue now is that the CC department have issued a default notice (dated 6th May). Is this enforceable considering I have a letter (from the Group Executive offce) saying that all collection activity will be suspended?

Thanks

Thanks citizenB.

I will word a letter today and send it back to them.

Just as a side note, i have created a thread reagrding the deafult notice here in case other people face similar issues.

If you have it in writing that they are going to suspend all collection activity, even better :) Sadly there is no joined up thinking with some banks.

BCOBS

shakuri, it might be better for the threads to be merged, so all the information is in one place. Would you like me to do that ?

I have responded on the other thread, I find it quite strange that they would issue a DN if you have in WRITING that they will cease collection activity and IMHO, quite foolish of them.

Once you have your reference number from the FOS, I suggest you copy the letter from the bank advising that they will cease collection activity and a copy of the DN along with a covering note asking for them to pop these in with the original complaint as it goes to show just how deceitful the bank is.

BCOBS

Yes citizenB, please merge them if you think that would be more beneficial.

Just to be clear, the DN date is 6th May, the letter I received informing me that collection activity will be ceased is the 10th May. Now it may just be that the DN was sent by the CC dept before they were informed that collection activity was being suspended by Group HQ, in which case perhaps I should take it as an assumption that no further action on this DN will be taking place. Surely it's not my duty to inform the CC dept that collection activity has been suspended?

Not got the FOS reference number yet, but will be sure to forward on any additional information such as this

I agree, it isn't for you to advise the Collection department. Send the letter to the department that advised that action would be suspended and they can filter it down.

Just out of interest, what date have the put on the DN for the remedy date ?

I suspect they have already fallen foul of it being compliant because the 6th May was a Bank Holiday !! It would not have gone into the post until the Tuesday and depending on whether it was sent 1st or 2nd class post (did you keep the envelope) would have a bearing on whether they have given you a clear 14 days to remedy the breach :) So it might have been a useless exercise them sending it anyway.

Threads merged for continuity :)

BCOBS