• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS: I desperately need help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I desperately need help.

I opened an RBS account along with a few others with their forms online intending to try them out and pick my favourite. I received the RBS details in the post but never used or touched the account as I decided to go with Barclays. This was all in early 2011.

I then left my address mid 2011 and was of no fixed abode. I was a teenager, alone, mentally ill, disabled and legally homeless.

Fast forward to early 2012 after being in care and finally housed on my own and finally starting to get settled.

I had a few issues with Barclays so I thought about trying out some of the other accounts I remember I opened. I called RBS to ask for a new card, explaining that I'd never used the account before and I didn't have any information or cards or any of that kind of stuff - they said they'd send it all out to me again, no problemo. I did the same with Santander.

Amongst the stress of moving into an empty undecorated home, I completely forgot about bank accounts and never received anything from RBS as they said I would.

Fast forward to late 2012, when I get a dodgy looking email from RBS saying they need to talk to me. I called them and they said it was certainly phishing, they don't email people. I tried and tried again until finally I got through to someone who said yes it was indeed from RBS and they needed to talk to me.

They explained to me that my account was overdrawn, which I said couldn't possibly be true - I'd never used the account. They vaguely mentioned some kind of cheque bounce fee, and said they'd transfer me to another department to speak to someone. This next department was very rude and hung up on me because I didn't have any information on my account, because I of course didn't have a debit card or any of that sort of stuff. I tried a few times more to no avail, RBS didn't want to talk to me.

I went in branch and spoke to a bank manager that said he would sort it out for me. I explained that my address had changed and I had no information on my account, but I tried to prove my identity with my passport. I also told him RBS had emailed me saying they had been trying to contact me - he was also certain that this was a [problem], but asked me to forward it to him when I got home. Whilst in the branch, he also asked for my new phone number and address so he could update it for me, and I emailed it to him later too just in case.

I forwarded him the email that same day and he replied explaining that it was indeed RBS, and that there was a problem with my account. He said he had spoken to them and that they wanted me to call them. He also emailed me my sort code and account number so I could give it to them as a reference.

However, as I should have expected, upon calling I got the same message - we cannot pass you through security, sorry. I tried and tried again to explain the situation.

I tried emailing the bank manager again but he said the same thing over and over despite me explaining they refused to speak to me.

At this point I gave up. I had no idea what was going on, and RBS didn't want to speak to me. I should note that I still haven't received anything from them via post at my new address.

I eventually tried calling again, and a lady finally gave me some more information. She said they were going to try and trace the cheque number, and she said that there might be some kind of fraud on my account. For them to trace the number, she told me I had to go into the branch and ask them to do some kind of trace. I did so, the manager wasn't there (2wk holiday), but his subordinate said she would do it and call me back within 2 weeks. I got no such call, and my efforts in chasing this up proved fruitless.

I tried to contact the same bank manager again but he ignored all of my emails. Finally, he replied and said there is nothing he can do, he can't speak to me anymore, and that I was to contact RBS or alternatively file a complaint.

I did so using the website last week and was contacted today on the mobile number I gave them on the form, it was the complaints department.

Moments ago, I spoke to a very cold complaints department lady who told me the bank was not liable and it was all my fault, and said I would have to pay up the £600. I tried everything I could. I asked if they had recordings of that initial phonecall too. Eventually whilst on hold I broke down in tears. The complaints lady tried to transfer me to some kind of repayment department, but gave up and said the lines were busy. She said she will call me back later.

I am very distraught and am struggling to deal with this whole situation. There is absolutely no way I can afford to pay £600, I can barely afford to eat. The maximum I could possibly afford is £5 a month, which means it would take me 10 years to repay. I should note that have also filed a default notice against me which has absolutely ruined my credit record which I have being trying oh so hard to improve since my 18th birthday.

Can anyone help me? I am afraid and I don't know what to do.

Thank you for your time

Hi Welcome to CAG,

This needs to be the subject of a formal complaint to The Director of Retail Banking at RBS head office.

I can draft a letter for you so that you can fill in the relevant dates etc.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi Welcome to CAG,

This needs to be the subject of a formal complaint to The Director of Retail Banking at RBS head office.

I can draft a letter for you so that you can fill in the relevant dates etc.

I really would appreciate it if you could draft one for me, I wasn't really sure where to start.

Thank you BRIGADIER2JCS.

OK.

The Director of Retail Banking

RBS.

FORMAL COMPLAINT.

Ref: use the account number.

Sir,

In early 2011 I opened account No. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with RBS but did not at any time use the account or any facility or debit card relating to the account and put the matter aside.

On xx xx 2012 I received an e-mail requesting me to contact RBS in regard to this account, when was finally able to speak with a member of RBS staff I was informed that this totally unused account was OVERDRAWN again I repeat that I did not ever use this account,the staff member was very vague as to how this situation had arisen and implied it was perhaps due to a bounced cheque, as I had NEVER received any cheque book or card for use with this account this is not possible.

I have tried consistently over the months to get some resolution of this matter, but due to incompetence or disinterest or both it has no been resolved.

Coming forward to today 21st. January 2013 I have spoken to an unhelpful woman is the ''complaints'' department who told me that the bank is not liable an I must pay an alleged debt of £600.00.

Please take note I don not accept any liabilty to RBS for any debt relating to this account as no proof of the alleged debt, no documents have been served up on me such as a notice of intention to default the account or an actual default notice.

I am also aware that RBS have placed a default debt on my credit reference agency files, this must be removed immediately.

I have been made aware of the ICO Technical Guidance on Defaults which says that if a default sum is made up of charges without which the account would not have been defaulted, no default should be placed.

I hold RBS responsible for the damage to my crtedit file, I do not acknowledge any debt to RBS any I require a full break down and explanation as to how and why RBS have allowed this situation to arise.

When RBS has complied with my wishes I will consider what further action I will take.

Get that away asap. you can add anything you wish in regard to your current financial situation ( I don't want to pry in to that).

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Thank you so much - I will look over it now in a word processor and try and get it sent off today. If I add anything in I might ask you for a thumbs up to make sure it's OK.

I am deeply grateful for your help, thank you for taking the time to help me and I assume others. This website is lucky to have such a helpful fellow in it's forums.

Regards

"as I had NEVER received any cheque book or card for use with this account this is not possible."

Okay something I neglected to mention. According to the complaints lady who called today, when I called RBS after moving into this new home, to request a card, apparently I was asked if I still had my chequebook - I of course said no, as I had nothing related to the account. The telephone advisor then apparently cancelled this chequebook that I no longer had, that was issued when the account was opened. He apparently sent out a new one with a new card, but that would have gone to my old address. A £10 charge was applied to my account for cancelling a chequebook which put my £0 balance overdrawn - I was then charged £6 a day (?) fees which snowballed the account into £500 overdrawn.

I was not aware of ANY of this until earlier, the woman told me all this on the phone. I was not told there would be a charge to my account, and I made it quite clear I'd never used the account and just wanted a new card. He requested the cancellation of the chequebook without me directly asking for him to do so and went on to apply the £10 charge to my account.

I'm clarifying because the quoted statement might make it seem like I'm lying. How do you think I can incorporate the above into the letter?

Regards

An argument the lady on the phone kept pushing is it is my fault that I didn't update my address and my fault they couldn't get in contact with me. As I said however, I had no fixed abode, no address to change it to - that aside, they were refusing to speak to me via telephone because I didn't have any account information. I did try to change this in-branch in October though, but it seems the bank manager didn't update my details afterall...

I'm just worried that they'll reply and say up yours, it's your fault. However I'm new to this, maybe going into detail in these letters isn't as important as I think it is.

Also, what would be the best place in the letter to say do not reply to my old address? I have put my current address top right as usual, but am worried they might forget. I also could use the address of where I'm posting this - cheers.

Edited by orangelemon

OK I don't think we need to go any further if RBS come back with the explanayion required we have answers to beat them.

As this seems to be all charges they have dropped themselves in deep do do:madgrin:

Google the RBS website it's there I don't have details with me it's Edinburgh I think.

Found it - 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, EH2 2YB. Should I be posting it signed for/recorded?

I'm really hopeful this will be sorted soon, it's genuinely caused me much stress, and I have the psychiatric evaluations to prove it!

PS. The woman keeps trying to call me back, I keep ignoring it - should I answer and say I will only be communicating with them via written letter from now on?

Answer if she calls tell her to listen carefully and say I have made a formal complaint to the bank which includes a comment on your attitude I cannot discuss this matter futher with you time the call and keep a record of it.

Quick update, received this just now, I assume from the same lady who keeps calling my mobile, redialing again and again and again - why do people now understand that if someone doesn't answer the first time, they aren't going to answer the next 200 times either!

NWB Chatham Internet Complaints

I believe I have a resolution to your complaint and would like to speak with you to discuss it. I would be extremely grateful if you could please call me on 08456 072323 ext 25066 asking for Danielle Redgrave opening hours are 9 to 6 mon to fri. Thank you.

National Westminster Bank Plc, Registered in England No. 929027. Registered Office: 135 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 3UR.

(I assume it says Natwest because of the RBS merger)

I replied:

I have made a formal complaint to RBS and cannot discuss this matter further with you at this time.

Regards

Will send the letter off this afternoon by recorded delivery.

I have received a reply. What do I do?!

Dear Mr orangelemon,

I am currently dealing with your complaint and in order to resolve your complaint and send you your Financial Ombudsman rights I need to confirm your address and read a disclaimer to you.

Please contact me on 0845 607 2323.

Yours Sincerely

Danielle Redgrave |Expert Complaint Handler | Swordfish / Chatham Care | Customer Contact

The Royal Bank of Scotland Group | Waterside Court | Chatham CSC | Chatham | ME4 4RT

Will the letter I have sent be dealt with by her/her department, or am I correct in assuming I have escalated it beyond her department? What is she talking about my FO rights and disclaimer?!

Hope someone can help!

Cheers

She will explain your rights if you disagree with the banks decision, see what she has come up with.

I just got back from the post office, sending the letter out. Back when I sent the complaint off using the online form and got no reply, I emailed it to an executive email I found online too. I just got a response:

Dear Mr orangelemon,

Thank you for email of 20 January 2013. I am responding as a Case Manager within our Executive office.

I was sorry to read that you had raised a complaint regarding this matter but had not received a tangible response. I understand that your complaint was being dealt with by our Chatham Customer Care Team. They had in fact prepared the attached response to send to you but did not do so as they had been unable to not speak with you on the phone to verify your email address. This is something which they need to do for security purposes.

You will see from the attached letter that your complaint has been upheld and the charges applied to your Select account have been duly refunded. My colleagues have also arranged for compensation of £50 to be paid to you, as well as reimbursing the cost you incurred for visiting the branch. I genuinely regret that this has been your experience of the RBS and I am very sorry for the upset and inconvenience we have caused you. I can assure you that you will receive no further contact from our Recoveries department and I will ensure that your Credit File is not affected by the charges.

I hope that we have been able to address your complaint and that you will be happy with this outcome. However, if this is not the case, please let me know and I’ll do whatever I can to put matters right. If I can’t resolve your complaint you will have the right to refer your concerns to the Financial Ombudsman Service although I hope that won’t be necessary.

Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about the problems you faced.

Yours sincerely

Jonathan

RBS Group Executive Office

Group Customer Relations

RBS Gogarburn | Business House F | 1st Floor | PO Box 1000 | Edinburgh | EH12 1HQ

this was the attachment:

{removed}

To be honest, when I saw 'compensation' I was hoping for a little more than £50!

I don't get why 'Danielle', assuming it is the same woman who initially called me, has changed her tune so considerably. When she called me yesterday she was adamant that the bank WAS NOT liable, and everything is my fault and I have to pay up immediately or face legal repercussion despite my pleading and explaining. This is rather personal, but I completely broke down after speaking to her whilst on hold when she was transferring to me the debt repayment team for the whole 10 mins I was on hold, trying to cover up my sobbing and rapid breathing when an advisor came back on the line. It had me in a complete mess and left me in a suicidal whirlwind. I am really surprised I recovered, thank goodness for mood stabilisation medicine and thank goodness for you BRIGADIER2JCS - I am almost certain you coming the rescue saved me from things degrading to a much worse state.

There is still the matter of the default notice that was filed against me, I have seen no mention of this. Does this mean I still should persist in a reply for my letter? Now I am in contact with the executive office via email, do you think I should send over a PDF of the letter I have sent off today, explaining that it is on the way to them?

Once again I'd appreciate your advice BRIGADIER2JCS.

Thanks

Edited by orangelemon

Good result, even the £50.00 is something considering how tight they are.

I'd draw out the £52 and close the account in writting, by phone, e-mail and carier pigeon.:madgrin:

I emailed Jonathan back with some more details and a pdf of the letter and got this reply:

[Edit]

Thank your for your email, your further comments and attachments.

As you would expect, I was very concerned to read of the extent to which this matter had distressed you. We will duly consider your email, as well as your letter of 21 January 2013, and respond to you in due course.

Yours sincerely,

Jonathan

Will update when I get a reply.

Edited by BRIGADIER2JCS
removed name.

I emailed Jonathan back with some more details and a pdf of the letter and got this reply:

[Edit]

Thank your for your email, your further comments and attachments.

As you would expect, I was very concerned to read of the extent to which this matter had distressed you. We will duly consider your email, as well as your letter of 21 January 2013, and respond to you in due course.

Yours sincerely,

Jonathan

Will update when I get a reply.

What next i wonder?