• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Smithsu01 vs RBoS (in Scotland)

smithsu01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I started this process before I knew this website existed and so just wrote a polite but firm letter to my bank requesting that they review what I felt to be excessive charges on my account over a 3 month period (£1200). When they ignored that I sent them a reminder 14 days later (both recorded) which they have now also ignored! Had I not been nearly so frustrated by them I may not have found this website but they ignored me at their peril and now instead of 3 months charges they'll be looking at a whole lot more.

SAR is on my desk ready to go in the post tonight and thanks to all you guys and the great information on this site, I can't wait!!

RBoS - claiming charges of £3868

17/1/07 - Offer for full amount!! WON!!

3/1/07 - LBA Deadline - reminder e-mail sent

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

27/11/06 - Prelim Letter Sent - no reply at all

17/11/06 - Statements received

12/10/06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent

good luck. i'll keep an eye on your thread if you need to know anything or need any help just shout.

rbos prem letter sent 25th aug 06

give me 10 more days letter received 2nd sept 06

lba sent 7th sept 06

settled in full 7/10/2006

Thanks! It's quite a daunting prospect so it's great to know there's so many kind people who can help if I get stuck or panic!!

Suzanne

:D

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

just keep reading threads the more you read the more understanding you have and it becomes less daunting. if you follow in the right order and stick to you timetable you'll soon be laughing all the way to the bank.....

rbos prem letter sent 25th aug 06

give me 10 more days letter received 2nd sept 06

lba sent 7th sept 06

settled in full 7/10/2006

• 1 month later...

Well my bank statements arrived on friday and I'm sitting working my way through them just now - hard to tell how much it'll total to but around the £2000 mark already! Hope to have this ready to post tomorrow!

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

hey,

good luck!

rbs :£1,525

sent S.A.R. 13th oct 2006

received statements 24th oct 2006

sent prelim letter 7th nov 2006

received polite "naw" from T. McLean 14th nov 2006

l.b.a. sent off 20th november

received letter 2nd Dec, another polite refusal

Tommy McLean advises by email to take court action

first direct : £?

pending statements......

discovered that they have sent no statements from an account that doesn't exist....

Well the total now is £3176 excluding interest although it may be higher as although I pay a monthly charge for my Royalties Account I also get hit with £28 a month for going over my arranged overdraft limit - can I include this? I'd appreciate if someone can let me know asap as I have the letter ready to go and would like to get it posted before the weekend.

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

• 2 weeks later...

My prelim letter went off on 27th November claiming charges totalling £3868. Short of miracle I'm too late to get the money in time for xmas but maybe a good start to the new year!! As my husband has just been laid off yet again we could really do with it so fingers crossed. I'd like to think it won't get as far as the courts as I'll need to file 6 different small claims but am well prepared to if that's what needs done!

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

6 days and counting........ til deadline for Prelim letter!! :|

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

Well my deadline for the Prelim letter was yesterday and I've had no word so LBA will be going in the post tomorrow. Watching Bank Robbery on BBC2 on tuesday night helped inspire me a lot - I hope everyone watched it!!

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

I'll be the same when my LBA deadline is up! I'm bad enough just now. I can't believe I didn't even get the standard 'no' letter - I keep telling myself maybe it's all running a bit slow due to xmas etc but I'm sticking to my deadlines all the same! Hope you hear something before the weekend! Fingers are crossed for you!!

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

My understanding is that you can use the Summary Clause up to £1500 whereas to go through Small Claims you'd need to split it as £750 is the most you can claim. The fees involved are the same (I think £39) but I believe the only down side to summary clause is that you could be liable for the Bank's court fees IF you lose but then reading through this site, reading articles and watching that episode of the Money Programme highlighted just how unlikely this is. From what I've read on here I think more people are gaining confidence and going with Summary Clause rather than the lengthy process of doing a few Small Claims.

Sorry I don't have many details but I'm not quite at that stage just yet.

Good luck!! :)

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

Hi Erinamanda and sorry to hijack your thread Smithsu01, im also in Scotland and just reading through some Scottish posts to refresh myself. I'm currently going through the summary cause process with LTSB (see my signature for my thread). The fees are the same £39 and the whole process is the almost identical, its just a diferent track of small claims. One thing I would point out is when you recieve the summons back in the post from the sheriff court YOU must get a sheriff officer to serve the summons on the bank (form 1B), the court doesn't do this for you.

Good luck with both of your claims and have a look over my thread to see what my lie ahead should you need to go to court, hope it gives you some encouragement.

Merry christmas btw

o0oLiamBeeo0o

Prelim Req sent 12 June 2006,

LBA sent 26 June 2006,

Confirmation of court action sent 24 July 2006,

Court return date 20 October 2006 - LTSB did not reply,

Court hearing date 27 October 2006 - Decree granted in my favour,

Recall of decree recieved 16 November 2006,

1 December 2006 assigned as recall of decree,

26 January 2007 assigned for full proof hearing,

16 January 2007 1st offer recieved and declined,

23 January 2007 2nd offer accepted, awaiting monies to hit bank account

All advice & opinions of o0oLiamBeeo0o are personal opinions, if in doubt seek advice from a qualified professional !!

vvv My Thread vvv

No problem, hijack away! Thanks, I'll check out your thread!

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

Hi

Cheers for the info, but I'm now wishing I took RBOS's offer. I'm emigrating to Australia end of Jan and with the timescales for Summay cause claims, it's a nitemare. Spoke with Tommy McLean again to day and felt he was trying to fob me off. He previously told me on 20th December that I would be likelly to recieve a letter offering full amount the following day, now he's saying the the way in whish the bank are dealing with claims is changing from day to day. He suggested I either wait until they respond or take the legal route. To top all this off, I've been charged £152 over xmas :-(

Mmmm, fraid I don't know the answer to that one but hopefully someone will!

The deadline for my LBA is up in a few days and as yet I've heard nothing at all from RBS! No 'get lost' letter in response to my prelim letter and now no offer at all to my LBA. Wondering if I should e-mail to make sure it's being dealt with as everyone else seems to at least get the standard responses and seems strange to have had nothing at all by this stage!

The letters were sent recorded delivery and have been signed for so I know they've got them!

Any thoughts anyone??

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

• 3 weeks later...

So the deadline for the LBA came and went with still no word from RBS so I e-mailed Tommy McLean just saying that I was disappointed to have not even received a confirmation of my letter and while I appreciate they must be busy etc etc (well someone said he responds better if you're nice to him!). I got a reply straight back with the usual apology and he couldn't tell me when they'd be able to deal with it but they would as soon as they could.

At this point I couldn't afford to file at court and would've had to wait a couple of weeks so e-mailed back to say 'as a goodwill gesture I'd extend the deadline by 10 days but rest assured I will file at court after this time' - no harm making him think I'm being nice as oppsed to just skint!!!

Anyway, the next day I received acknowlegments of both my Prelim and LBA so suspect he'd stepped things up a bit - strange coincidence if not!

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

Just as their 10 day extended deadline was up.....I'd been to court to collect forms......arrived home........and there it was an offer for the full amount!!!!

The letter was just a standard, ' we feel these are not penalties but charges for services but as a sign of goodwill......'!!

Delighted!!!!

Thank you so much to everyone on this site!! Wouldn't have had the first idea where to start without you. All this because a RBS employee suggested I look into it!!

Donation on way when money arrives!

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

Thanks Tweenies, stick with it and read this site over and over and you'll be celebrating too soon enough! Good luck!

:):D

16/12/06 - LBA Sent

• 2 months later...

Well done you!

Wow, this thread has reinvigorated my interest in getting my own situation sorted out.

Cheers for that!

rbs :£1,525

received statements 24th oct 2006

sent prelim letter 7th nov 2006

received polite "naw" from T. McLean 14th nov 2006

l.b.a. sent off 20th november

received letter 2nd Dec, another polite refusal

Tommy McLean advises by email to take court action

first direct : £?

pending statements......

discovered that they have sent no statements from an account that doesn't exist....