Smile more subscription charge

conchwillow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I left the UK in August 2011, with a £750 balance in my Smile account and two tiny DDs going out each month.

I have just checked the account to find I have been paying a subscription charge of £13 a month for the last 17 months.

Can I claim this back?

Apart from the two DDs I haven't used the account at all, haven't received any statements

- they have an old e mail address and haven't asked me to update it since 2007! and it has cost me a whopping £221!

I am mortified and simply can't afford to throw away £221 like this!

And the first line of their charges doc says "we don't make charges as long as you stay in credit",

then a few pages it down it mentions this subscription fee.

They can't get away with this surely?

What can I do?

What is the account type stated on the paperwork you have ?

If you have the smile account, then claim back all those fees.

Smilemore is the one with a monthly £13 fee. It's one of those accounts that gives you lots of benefits, you know the sort of thing that no one wants and charges you for the privilege of having these free things.

• 2 years later...

conchwillow says:

Apart from the two DDs I haven't used the account at all, haven't received any statements - they have an old email address and haven't asked me to update it since 2007!

coniff replies:

Smilemore is the one with a monthly £13 fee. It's one of those accounts that gives you lots of benefits, you know the sort of thing that no one wants and charges you for the privilege of having these free things.

First the statements: Smile is an internet bank so you won't be sent paper statements unless you ask and pay for them. You simply log on for access to the past year's statements. And every time you log onto your account this link to update one's email and other details appears at the top of your home page:

(your account name) your account was last accessed on 28/01/2015 at 15:50:21

your email address is xxx@xxx click here to update

Even I find this clear and easy to understand. I have changed my email twice in recent years, no problem. Don't you check your account regularly? Maybe you forgot you originally took the account with its extra benefits.

Now coniff's reply: the basic bank account is free in credit, Smilemore cost £13 per month until last July when it rose to £15.50, and it's no longer available. So for £186 per year we get (1) worldwide annual travel insurance including North America (2) full breakdown cover for myself and my wife, either of us driving any car (3) Experian monitoring against identity theft etc.

Because I am over 70 and have a heart condition (declared of course to Smile's insurance company) a fortnight in Spain would cost me more than £186 if I had to buy travel insurance, and many times that figure to visit relatives in Canada. Similarly the breakdown insurance, I have been quoted almost £200 for a multi-person policy providing similar cover.

Finally, I hold no brief for the Co-Op Bank, its Crystal Methodist and the motley, greedy crew who brought this once-great institution to its knees. My loyalty is to its long-suffering staff who have always provided efficient and courteous service while fearing for their jobs. I'm sorry your savings have been depleted but we must take responsibility for our own affairs, including checks on our bank accounts.

Still a very interesting observation and one that I do agree with, conniff :)

Will close the thread to prevent further posting

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks