Help needed for claim on a Roofing company

Guest Alison82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Alison82

Hi, my friend and her mum have a bit of a problem I’ll explain and let me know what you think

On the 22 March 06 they went to the Ideal Home Show, they came across an company that specialize in roof repairs, they arranged a no obligation quote for the following week with …….

The day came for the quote and Warmroof company came round; at first they didn’t think anything of it and thought that they must be their sister company or something. The man had a look around in the loft and told them that his meter had high readings of damp and went on to say:

‘…If you leave your roof the way it is for much longer…then I’m afraid Warmroof won’t even be able to be installed. The whole roof would need replacing because your timbers would be rotten’.

Hearing this, they were obviously concerned and felt this work urgently needed to be carried out. Then the salesperson went on to state that they would be eligible for a £600 discount if I signed up on the day. They asked him repeatedly if he could just wait until the end of the week so they could get a second opinion but he explained that this offer was only valid for that day.

On that day my friend and her mum made a deposit of £250 and signed the agreement, since then they have gained a second and third opinion on the product and quote, both by reputable builders and they have both contradicted what Warmroof said.

One of their builders stated:

‘…Even if you don’t get your roof done by us, do not, under any circumstances install Warmroof, We have had so many jobs to remove the product. It is a headache, people have problems with it, especially condensation…’

The salesman also stated that a conventional roof insulation installation could cost anything in excess of £10,000. In fact, our highest quote for a conventional roof is approx £3500 (from their second and third opinions).

They have spoken to the company and have explained they would like to cancel their agreement but Warmroom are now saying that the 7 days cooling off period does not count as they was invited in to the quote and they were not cold callers, they are also stating that they are liable to pay 50% (about 2,000) of the cost of the job for losses?!

They have not sent the cancellation letter yet, I suggest that they fax it or send it by recorded delivery.

I think that since the original company didn’t turn up another company turned up in its place, then they should not be liable for anything!

So what does anyone think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

(p.s not sure if this was posted as it didn't come up before, if it has mods please remove one thanks.)

• 5 months later...

I know this is probably not too helpful so sorry in advance but never ever ever deal with a company that offers you a huge discount on the spot but only if you sign there and then theyre nearly always dodgy, also never ever take one companys word that you have a problem.

Get TS involved they sound like a right bunch of chimps

All is not lost. They are right about the cancelation issue but you may be in a position to void the contract on the grounds that it was induced by misrepresentation and reclaim any deposit paid....

Guest Alison82

Hi, this was a problem of a friend and since then they have had thier frefund of £250 and are no longer bound by that agreemnet, so they won't be taking anymore action on Warmroof.

Good luck folks

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks