Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Default Sainsburys Credit Card / Blair, Oliver & Scott - Deceased Client

Firstly, apologies if I've picked the wrong sub-forum! Living in Scotland, I thought this would be the appropriate place in absence of a Sainsbury's sub-forum.

My mother passed away recently and has a credit card with a small balance (under 400) remaining to be sorted out.

We contacted Sainsburys at the start of December to notify them and were told that the 'bereavementicon Team' would be in touch. It's been over a week now and we've heard nothing. Concerned, we give Sainsburys a call today to find we're automatically transferred to Blair, Oliver & Scott - a debt collectoricon.

What appears to have happened is we've notified Sainsburys, they've done absolutely nothing and now since the bill wasn't paid (only just overdue today, which adds insult to injury), they've passed my mother's account to debt recovery. Disgusting behaviour.

I'm trying to find out what my next steps are or should be. I have received a number for this 'Bereavement Team' and plan on giving them a call tomorrow however I'm really concerned with the poor manner in which they've handled the situation. It doesn't inspire confidence in resolving this with them.

When speaking to Blair, Oliver & Scott; they refused to discuss due to DPA (believe technically this doesn't apply however can accept companies exercise some caution), refused to send the debt back to Sainsburys and refused to confirm they wouldn't send any debt chasers out. Just pointed me back to Sainsburys.

I'm trying to understand what I should expect from Sainburys.

At this point, I'm concerned that they'll try and lump 'late fees' and interest onto the account however I'd appreciate any advice that can be offered in regards to the legalities around paying back an unsecured debt and steps I should take to ensure Blair, Oliver & Scott (or any other third party) don't have access to or are permitted to contact us in relation to this account - it would cause further distress to my father/family and I want to ensure this doesn't occur.

All advice welcome.

Default Re: Sainsburys Credit Card / Blair, Oliver & Scott - Deceased Client

Well well well, Sainsbury's doing all in their power to alienate customers.

Firstly, you should IGNORE Blair Oliver & Snot, they are really the Bank of Scotland, so adding further insult to injury!

You need to enter into Sainsbury's complaints procedure and exhaust it, this behaviour is beyond reproach and should this get out into the public doamin, the media and press, then they will look very very callous.

Whilst BOS are the underwriters for the card, you should ignore them and deal directly with Sainsbury's.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!
    HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD?

Follows
    Following

Hi Welcome to CAGicon, sorry to hear of your loss!!
    Is there any value in the estate after any priority debt or commitments?

Yes sorry Gooey, welcome and I am also sorry for your sad loss.

Just wanted to get in before Brig......

It grinds my gears when corporations put profit before people which is why I advise the way I do, personally, IMO, because of Sainsbury's actions I would leave them at the very bottom of clowns to pay.
    And I'd spread the word using the medium of press and media.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!
    HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD?

Follows
    Following

@Brigadier2JCS - Hi, other than the family home; I don't believe there is - though I'd need to double check for 100% accuracy.

@Bazooka Boo - It's something I'm definitely considering. When push comes to shove, it's with B,O & S for less than 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Boo View Post
    Yes sorry Gooey, welcome and I am also sorry for your sad loss.

Just wanted to get in before Brig......

It grinds my gears when corporations put profit before people which is why I advise the way I do, personally, IMO, because of Sainsbury's actions I would leave them at the very bottom of clowns to pay.
    And I'd spread the word using the medium of press and media.
    Behave Boo

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Yes, you need to make an official complaint to the top level of administration about this appalling behaviour. Not only from Sainsbury's themselves, but their 3rd party agency Blair Olivericon.

How ridiculous, if they wont speak to you regarding this, citing DPA - how do they expect to get something resolved ?

Please Note :-

If there is no money in your Mother's estate - you are NOT resonsible for the debt, neither is your Father.

If there is money available, then this is a very low priority debt - and should go to the bottom of the list.

You also want a final accounting, there should be no question of you paying any late charges or interest on those charges.

I find it quite disgraceful that, having informed them of your Mother's death, Sainsbury has immediately passed this on to a debt collectoricon !!

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running
    Click here to donatehttp://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ages/link3.gif through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library
    Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE
    2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries
    3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here
    4: Staying Calm About Debt Read Here
    5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you
    3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules
    4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly
    5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE
    Follows
    Following