Advice needed re. council renting

TPar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I wasn't sure where to post this so here goes.

I have been a council tenant for nigh on 30 years. In September 2011 I underwent a quadruple heart transplant which had complications and led to several TIA's. Last wee I was diagnosed with Paget's Disease of the breast. I guess I have come to the end of my "sell by date". What does this have to do with council renting .. ah there's the rub.

I am a single parent with a 26 year old son who is in full time employment and who lives with me. I receive partal Housing Benefit and partis Council Tax Benefit. My son does not pay rent but contributes to household bills such as food, fuel bills, etc. I now feel that it is imperative to have him on the rent book so that he will have a place to stay (in London) should anything happen.

My query is if I name him on the rent book will:

a) I lose my entitlement to reduced rent and council tax; and

b) Will the council make me pay back any monies from the time he started work (3 years - which will be thousands).

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Hello TPar, welcome to the CAG.

Enjoy your visit, but take some time to look around the forum and understand where everything is.

It can seem confusing at first but you will start to find your way round and to understand what a helpful community we are.

You haven't received any replies to your post yet. Try posting your query again in a relevant sub-foum. You will get the help and support you need there.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.

I have moved your thread to the Benefit forum where I think you will become visible and receive assistance :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

According to the law of succession a properties tenancy can be passed on once only, so if you didn't receive it via succession a dependent of yours can apply for it after your death. In that link you can also read about assignment, another option. If you choose succession coucils have the right to assign a different property rather than the one you are in, if they deem the size to be disproportionate to their needs ie they may feel a single male only needs one bedroom. If you choose assignment, then from the date of change your son would be the main tenant and it is his income that will be examined to determine what CTB and HB is awarded, and you would be a non dependent living there and your income would be examined to see what contribution they expect you to make towards rent and council tax. If you are wanting to leave the property to your son as a tenant then I assume you feel he can afford the rent etc. anyway so that wouldn't be a problem. They would not ask for money for the past, the changes would happen from the date of the change of tenancy and not in the past.

HTH

Edited by citizenB
highlighted the link to make it more prominent
  • Haha 1

Aw bless you abc. Thank you for your replies.

That puts my mind at rest regarding the accession to the property once I am no longer here.

With regard to DLA I am over 65 so would not be eligible and I really do not have the strength to battle for Attendance Allowance right now but will keep it in mind.

Again bless you.

Whether or not you will have an overpayment, depends not on your son being added to your tenancy, but on whether you informed the benefit section he was living with you or that he was working. If you did then you already will have a non dependant deduction on your housing benefit, if you didn't then when they discover he has been living with you/working, you may have an overpayment (dependant on his and your circumstances - for instance do you get dla/AA, or was he ever claiming benefits).

Your son will be expected to make contribution towards the rent, whether as a non dependant or joint tenant (not sure how these tenancies work).

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

TPar,

do the HB department know that your son is living with you? and that he is working?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

TPar

Your landlord is unlikely to agree to give you a joint tenancy.

If however they do agree, then your son would become liable to pay half the rent and council tax - and you would be able to claim hb/ctb towards your half.

Any change would only affect the period after a change in tenancy. HB/CTB would not need to be assessed for period prior to change in tenancy.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.