Ex-military....what am i entitled to claim?????

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I left the armed forces back in november 2008 on my own consent, basically i suffered p.t.s.d from my tours of iraq and couldnt cope with army life no longer.

I seen a psychiatrist for a year after returning from active duty, and we both come to an agreement that i may have a better life away from the army.

Well i was out of work for 6 months and started my first civvi job in a hospital switchboard, where i still work today, basically taking calls and dealing with alot of queries from patients and doctors.

Anyway i moved into a rented home with my partner and child and we claim child tax and working tax credits, along with housing benefits.

My problem being is that while being on anti depressants and off them, im not coping in my job and havent been for several months. I see the only option would be to leave my job and be in a stress free environment and try and get my stress and anxiety issued sorted along with my p.t.s.d.

But im afraid if i leave my job then i wouldnt be able to afford the cost of living or the rent, and would have to give it all up.

Has anyone got any advice in what im able to do and what im entitled to.

Im also on the waiting list to see a councellor at the moment, and ive tried some army charities and all are saying there isnt alot they can do. Ive also spoke to army pensions to see if i could get a lump sum of my pension released to tie me over but theyre unable to help either.

Please can anyone shine any light on this subject for me....

Hi Detox ,

Welcome to the site. Thanks for the job you did for us ,out in Iraq. Difficult question really that you have posed. There are problems with just leaving a job. Sanctions by DWP being one of the possibilities. How long have you been in your current job, what does your contract state about sickness and payment during sickness. If you really cant cope I would suggest a visit to your doctor and discuss how you are feeling. S/he may then sign you off work, but this will be determined by which part of the country you live in. Some areas now have fit notes rather than sick notes. If your employer does not pay while you are on sick leave ( other than SSP) , when your SSP runs out you will then have to apply for Employment Support Allowance. I'm not too sure abpout the working tax credit angle - whether you will no longer be eligible for it as you will no longer be strictly working. ESA is not that much and you will have to weigh up , eventually; things like losing the working tax credits etc and therefore the consequent loss of income. Once on ESA you income WILL be much lower eventually. That may in turn put a strain on your relationship with your partner, which in turn will increase your stress and may affect your recovery time. Look at your contract with regard to your sick-pay and discuss with your partner before you do ANYTHING , then go see your GP and see what s/he says about working. Lets take it steady and not ruch into anything too quickly.

Once again - thanks for the job you did whilst serving and good luck with everything.

Cheers - Scousegeezer

I think that there are several things to consider.

If you have been diagnosed with PTSD, you could be considered to be disabled within the meaning of the Disability Discrimination Act. This could mean you staying in employment, but with changes to enable you to manage. Note that a PTSD diagnosis doesn't automatically mean that you'll be classed as disabled. In any case, you may also find that, through Occupational Health, your employer may be able to assist in organising additional help with the PTSD. I would certainly speak to Occupational Health to see if they can help rather than just resigning, which should be the very last resort.

From your post, it seems that you PVRd rather than being medically discharged, and I take it that this means that you have a standard mil pension rather than a War Pension. I guess that this also means that you didn't get anything from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme?

The difficulty I see in just giving up your job and trying to deal with your PTSD is that it isn't a condition that is 'cured'; you just learn to minimise the effects and live with it; having a job can be an important part of recovery. Combat Stress is usually the first port of call, but it takes ages to get anywhere meaningful because they are so busy. Are you currently being seen by your local NHS Mental Health services? If not, it might be a good idea to ask your GP for a referral. The usual form is that you have an assessment to decide the best treatment method, but often the hardest bit is getting the GP to refer you. Which is the most suitable treatment is determined by a number of factors, so what works for one may not be right for another, so I won't go into any more detail.

You may also want to get in touch with the Medical Assessment Program, which is set up to help veterans. There's an information sheet at http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/member/mhaforexservicemenwomen.aspx which is designed to be printed out and given to your GP so you can be referred. You can get more info and advice on 0800 169 5401. I have not had experience of this, but a consultant psychiatrist I know who works for the MoD rates it.

There is also advice for those with PTSD at www.arrse.co.uk - look at the RAMC forum. There are not only mental health professionals with relevant experience there, but also others living with PTSD who share information and experience.

Be aware that there are some questionable 'therapies' being touted around the internet, some of which claim to cure PTSD. At least two of these say that not only is a formal diagnosis unnecessary, but that they can 'treat' people over the phone. Sadly, a number of ex-service people have become involved, and they may appear to lend credibility. However, none of these 'therapies' have undergone proper clinical trials, and so are unproven and not recognised by health care professionals. I'd advise anyone to steer well clear of such organisations.

I too offer my thanks for your service. Great info above. Also there are other org.s that you could turn to for help http://www.ssafa.org.uk/ Royal British Legion.

I suffer PTSD also. I found when I was being treated that writing a private diary of the intrusive thoughts and experiences helped to combat them. I also focused on LOVE, love of family especially my children and wife helped to refocus my thoughts on to more positive patterns.

Hope you can work it out. Best wishes.

If you do decide to resign, then you may be able to get some financial help from the Army Benevolent Fund. Your Regiment or Corps Association may also be able to help, though in my experience any financial assistance will be short term. Your Regimental HQ will have their contact details, or PM me and I'll look it up on DII.

SSAFA Forces Help and the RBL both provide housing advice, and may be able to offer finacial help, but note that it may take time for them to swing into action.

If you weren't medically discharged you may be able to sue MoD for compensation for your condition if it's attributable to your service. This is quite common in cases of PTSD which often manifests itself some time after the event. The RBL can point you in the direction of solicitors used to dealing with such cases; their are two firms in particular that are very experienced in the field that I know of, and this type of action is usually undertaken on a no win no fee basis.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry you're going through this after you've been so brave in the army.

Just one comment to add to all the good advice above. My GP wasn't keen to send me to the local Mental Health Team until my husband came with me and backed me up, telling him how affected I was by my condition.

I hope you get some help soon.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

thanks for all the support and advice on this subject that been troubling me now for a few years.

Scarletpimpernel: i wasnt medically discharged, i did leave on my own accord once i knew i could sign off, so im going to try and get some information on getting legal action with this now. Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated for all your research and time, ive looked into alot of the research now and hopefully i might get somewhere.

cheers guys!!

detoxdj

• 6 months later...

Hi detoxdj

Sorry to hear about your problem but please bear in mind yes you were not medically discharged but this happened during your service and is still an ongoing problem.

Please give the Veterans Agency a call and ask to speak to a welfare rights officer or even better if one could visit you at home. As this happened during service they would be able to advise you if you are entitled to claim for a War Pension and if so even help you fill in the paperwork. It does not matter if you were medically discharged from MOD or not to claim a War Pension. They will also be able to give you advice if you are entitled to anything else.

Hope this Helps

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 11 months later...
Hi detoxdj

Sorry to hear about your problem but please bear in mind yes you were not medically discharged but this happened during your service and is still an ongoing problem.

Please give the Veterans Agency a call and ask to speak to a welfare rights officer or even better if one could visit you at home. As this happened during service they would be able to advise you if you are entitled to claim for a War Pension and if so even help you fill in the paperwork. It does not matter if you were medically discharged from MOD or not to claim a War Pension. They will also be able to give you advice if you are entitled to anything else.

Hope this Helps

You should be entitled to DLA which is an allowance which should not look at your other incomes. Disability living allowance is for people who require addition help with suppport with care and mobility. There are generally 3 rates, lower medium and high. Approach CAB or DIAL (search WWW) they will be able to support you to complete applications. I work as A mental health recovery worker and have done for approx a year after completing 22 years service. The said DLA is will probably require a medica assessment by the job centre and you should concentrate your evidence on your bad days and not what you can generally do. You Maybe also entitled to Employemnet Support Allowance, this is means testest and will include any income and savings.

I would imagine you wil know this info by now due to the age of the post, but if you do not please post me back and I will be happy to support you with any more info required.

Alan

• 8 months later...

Hi

Please have a look at these different link from the Veterans Agency:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/specialprogrammes.htm

http://www.veterans-uk.info/welfaresupportcontact.htm

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group