Is this worth disputing (bank charges debt)

Melisandre
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4173 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking for some advice on how to dispute a debt with RBS (passed to Westcot) which is entirely made up of bank charges.

In Dec 2010 my account went overdrawn overnight due to a payment coming off (I had no overdraft facility on my account so unsure as to why the payment wasn't just rejected?). Anyway I went 'overdrawn' by pennies - an amount less than £1.00.

I went to the bank the following morning when it opened to pay this amount back in, thus taking my account balance back to 0.00.

A bank charge of £29.50 was then due to be taken off at the end of that month. I couldn't afford this so I opened a bank account elsewhere, and asked that the account with RBS be closed. They refused and kept adding charges onto charges onto charges. I was made redundant in March 11, and informed them of this but they still kept adding on charges for nothing.

The entirety of the sum I owe them is bank charges. They eventually sold the debt on to Westcot and it is sitting at 800+.

I would like to dispute this but I don't know what the best course of action is. Should I write to the RBS, or go straight to the FO? Are there any template letters I could use?

This sounds very interesting.

I understand that you had either a basic account or at least a standard account but with no OD facility - but against which they had allowed a payment which then incurred charges and started a spiral.

Why did it not have an overdraft facility? Did they refuse to give you one?

Have they offered you an overdraft and you declined it?

What level of account was it?

Do you expressly make it clear that you didn't want an overdraft?

Have you read the material which we have on BCOBS?