• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

had a visit from tv licencing

stuggling
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a visit from one of there reps, was about to leave with my youngest daughter to go on school run but he wouldn't leave,

he then discussed everything in public and cautioned! Me.

Asked what tv I had and what make told him,

he then said you will be summoned and I made it clear no as im not refuseing to pay but they refuse me a cash card to pay with!

Had to set up dd not happy about this.

Never signed anything and told him I have to leave to collect children now!

He then handed me a small paper saying we called out but you weren't home.

Didn't hand me anything he written he didn't see any tv on or working seen an old sat dish on house.

He discussed everything on door step im so annoyed as everytime I ring to get it sorted I get im sorry we can only accept you on a dd plan not a cash one :-S

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Don't bother talking to them. They get the 'God Complex' when they try dishing out their 'rights'..

. I had one two years ago try it on with me.. because he spotted an aerial on my roof he saw fit to hassle me.

.. After a lovely verbal altercation I whipped out my iPhone and started recording him to journal the lot.

He didn't like this, [edit] tried taking my iPhone off of me which resulted in him getting carted off by the police...

They have no right to know what television service you have, nor do they have any right to know what you watch.

If they saw fit, they could take you to court, only then I'd advise telling them :D

Anyway, I refuse to watch live TV and depend on YouView now, all catchup telly.

. I refuse to pay into the [EDIT], I won't pay into their funds, nor will I watch live TV.

nope, I dont have the aerial attached so I only get the on demand stuff from BBC iPlay and things like that.. I dont pay for the premium stuff like Entertainment etc... so it's all on demand :)

Apparently you need a tv licence to watch even catch up TV. Well so i read in this issue of computeractive magazine.

That'd if you watch it on a TV

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Nope catch-up TV isn't covered. Only LIVE TV is.... Funnily enough, even if you watch some IPV servies in the UK which have about a 45 minute delay between LIVE and when they're aired shouldn't be covered, but this hasn't been proven nor disproven then.

The £1000 fine deterrent is working well..

removed

Edited by IdaInFife
edited

• 3 weeks later...
Nope catch-up TV isn't covered. Only LIVE TV is.... Funnily enough, even if you watch some IPV servies in the UK which have about a 45 minute delay between LIVE and when they're aired shouldn't be covered, but this hasn't been proven nor disproven then.

The £1000 fine deterrent is working well..

removed

And now iplayer has a jump back to the start feature, i wonder if this is deemed 'live' or not, when you look into it, modern technology, catch up services, etc could mean the current law is a mess, I wonder when/if any of these cases have/will be bought to court ?

Andy

At the moment, the vast majority of cases are brought through confession evidence (extracted in a variety of ways - many of which are unfair, possibly unlawful).

Most people also plead guilty (often by default).

That means that physical evidence of evasion is rarely considered in court.

iPlayer stuff rarely appears until at least 2 hours after broadcast. The "rewind to start" feature belongs to the live stream, which you'd already need a licence for. The interesting thing will be the previews that the BBC are planning - programmes available on iPlayer before broadcast. Will these disappear from the iPlayer catalog whilst they are being broadcast?

There is already a similar issue with repeats - I'm not sure what the BBC does about that, if anything.

Yes..very true, people are asked a few questions on the doorstep and before they know it theyve implicated themselves in licence evasion !

Yes, I was talking about the live stream, although it is actually possible for example to choose a live feed of BBC at 10pm, not press play so you dont actually see any live content and they using slider at bottom go back for example 2 hours, you would then not actually see any live tv, that would provide interesting reading in court.

Andy

Yes..very true, people are asked a few questions on the doorstep and before they know it they've implicated themselves in licence evasion!

Which is why the safest advice is

NEVER EVER communicate with TVL, in any way, shape, or form.

A policy I apply rigorously. :-D

Edited by Bedsit Bob

It is a total mess. They say that if it is recorded or stored at the point of transmission you need a license. I suspect that if you paused a live stream they would argue the case. The question is who can afford to fight that.

I am not sure if promoting evasion is the right way to go,surely campaigning for a new system.

Bob i didn't say you were. There were people earlier finding reasons not to pay a license. In my opinion if the law is on your side,use it. That goes for debt,motoring, anything.

It clearly is legal to watch any non-live catch up TV, this doesnt't require a licence, I wasnt promoting evasion, just asking the question is watching a 'live' stream that has been 'rewound' a few hours deemed watching live or not, it could be argued that it was recorded live in much the same way that a recorder would or be argued that it isnt live at all, in the same way that catch up tv isnt live (but it obviously was recororded by the tv company in some form).

But as mentioned people who genuinely dont need a licence often prefer the dont say anything to TV LIcencing guys method as its saves hassle.

Bob i didn't say you were. There were people earlier finding reasons not to pay a license. In my opinion if the law is on your side,use it. That goes for debt,motoring, anything.

I think there might be quite a few people about these days, who like to watch live TV, but do not want to fund many of the activities that have been going on at the BBC: Bullying, Paedophillia, Tax fiddles/avoidence, greedy expence claims - the list goes on.

They cannot legally watch Live ITV, C4, C5 & other live broadcasters, without also funding (With the TVL) the Corrupt BBC - which still has lots of "Yewtree" potential prosecutions hanging over it.

They have a Dilemma! They do not wish to fund illegal activities:!:, but the achieve that, they may have to be illegal themselves.

I never understand why people get afraid and intimidated by these lot?

Treat them the same as you would any unsolicited doorstep caller, answer door allow them to say their scripted spiel, laugh and say "Not today thank you" and shut the door.

If it really is against the law to not have a TV licence then the police would surely arrest you? No?

No, thats right, they can't because it isn't against the law.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It is against the law. It's just not an arrestable offence.

A lot of people who are wary of TVL do not know how little power they actually have. Not that you'll find them or the BBC being remotely honest about it.

On the one hand, a little knowledge goes a long way - on the other a multi-billion pound organisation has the capability to bend the truth (which it does) and to make people believe things that aren't true (which it also does).

It is against the law. It's just not an arrestable offence.

I've had a look but can't find what Law it is? I've been looking for it for 16 years which is the same amount of time I've been licence free.

Even the BBC can't tell me what law it is.

The term 'arrestable offence' is obsolete, it was replaced in 2006 under PACE. As with all governments, if they can't control it's population they simply make up new legislation to assert their control.

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!