Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    tired mommy x Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jan 2012

Default Credit Card Charge Refund - With Conditions

In September 2008 I took out a credit card with Vanquis Bank.
    It had a ridiculously high interest rate and I very seldom use the card because if this.
    Earlier this year they reduced my interest rate and increased my balance.

I have recently used a third party company to 'reclaim' my credit card charges on a card I have held since July 2008.

Whilst they say their charges are not excessive they have given me the following choices:-
    OPTION 1 - accept a 175 credit and continue to repay the balance at my current rate of interest. The card cannot be used and the account becomes closed once the final amount is paid off.

OPTION 2 - accept a 175 credit. Accept an annual fee of 25.00 with no further late payment charges.
    The increase of my interest rate back to what is was when I first got the card.
    Either way - I lose!!!!!

I know the refund is not a massive amount,
    but surely I shouldn't suffer as a result of the claim.

I am trying to draft a letter to Vanquis, but I don't seem to be getting the words right without waffling on a bit.
    can anyone help?

And doesnt it seem you cannot get help anywhere
    CAB too understaffed to help
    128 views and nobody has a single thread of help
    tired mommy x

Basic Account Holder
    Bandit127 Highly informative Bandit127 Highly informative Bandit127 Highly informative Bandit127 Highly informative Bandit127 Highly informative Bandit127 Highly informative Bandit127 Highly informative

Cagger since : Jul 2012

Default Re: Credit Card Charge Refund - With Conditions

Sorry - probably me but I am finding this a bit confusing. Can I try to summarise? Please correct if I am wrong.

You have had a Vanquis card since July 2008.
    It had a high interest rate.
    You have used it and incurred charges.
    You used a 3rd party to reclaim those charges.
    In response to your reclaim, Vanquis have offered 175 against the charges.
    But they have also stipulated that they will change the terms on the card in one of two ways - and given you the choice above.

Please confirm the above or reply and edit.

Basic Account Holder
    dark vader Novitiate

Cagger since : Nov 2012

can i ask
    is the 175 the full amount you are owed,
    if so how have they or you worked out the amount on offer,

also as you are aware these charges that are applied to credit card charges over 12 can be challenged as being an unfair charge,

the other offer with interest etc really plays no part what so ever

Basic Account Holder
    tired mommy x Novitiate

Default Lowell Solicitors pap letter - old vanquis card debt

Hi
    I have an old Vanquish credit card with 1117 outstanding.
    I have been offered numerous settlement figures by Vanquis (last one 2014) after they stopped the use of my card (cant remember the date).

When I sent a SARicon they sent me what looked like an application form and I put the account in dispute.
    They said it was a legally binding contract and not an application form.

As I advised them.
    it wasn't a contract that had my signature at the bottom of a list of terms and conditions and sending me the current terms and conditions wasn't good enough.

Every so often I either get an offer of settlement or a threat of legal action.
    The account is in disputeicon, so I never reply.

Started getting letters from Lowell (probably about 2015).
    They were advised the debt was in dispute.
    They sent me the same as what Vanquis had and I responded the same.
    I get occasional letters from them 'reminding me of the debt' and how it will not go away.

Last week I received a 'letter of claimicon' from Lowell Solicitors.
    They are ready to issue proceedings against me and I have 30 days to respond.
    It was assigned to them on 30/09/2015.

It says it is being issued in accordance with the Practice Direction on Pre Action Conduct and Protocols contained in the Civil Procedureicon rules. Refers me to paragraph 13 to 16 of the pre action PD concerning the courts powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with its provisions and ignoring the letter may lead to them commencing proceedings and may increase liability for costs.

It then has an information sheet giving me telephone numbers and website addresses for help I can go to.
    There is also reply forms.
    Section1 - Do you owe the debt.
    Section 2 - How will you pay.
    Section 3 - Do you intent to get, or are you already getting debt advice.
    And a financial statement to complete.

It all looks seriously legit and I am wondering how to proceed.
    If I ignore it could I possibly end up with a CCJ (really don't want one of them).

Should I just issue a simple letter advising them the account is in dispute and will remain so until I received a signed agreement. Even though they say the electronic application they sent me is legal and binding.
    Or should I send them another SAR for all the information again?

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to proceed.

Thanks in advance of any help offered.

Site Team The Consumer Action Group Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch's Avatar

Cagger since : Sep 2007

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

Default Re: Lowell Solicitors pap letter - old vanquis card debt

moved to the provident forum.

follow post 6 of the above thread.

when did you take the card out?
    when was YOUR last payment or use?

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

found an old thread too and merged it with this one for history

Basic Account Holder
    tired mommy x Novitiate

I have got the 1 postal order to send off.
    Am I right in thinking I have to print off the form here and not use the one that they sent me?

The SARicon goes to Vanquish and the form goes to Lowell. IS that correct.

I did send an SAR to Vanquish a long time ago but unsure where the details have been put - could of been thrown away.

Does it matter that they have already had one?

Card was taken out around about 2008 I think.

Emails re settlement offer was around October 2014 so I would say the last payment would of been early 2014.
    Lowell say debt passed to them September 2015.

Historical threads
    The 175 refund was never actioned - it is included in the outstanding amount.

Got taken to court by Belmont Thornton for their fees in claiming it back.

Contested the summons.

Went through Mediationicon with the court and ended up paying the fees as the court says they obtained the refund.

Just paid the fees and they stood the court fees.

They advised if I took it further it could end up costing me more if I lost.

Cost me 60 ish for nothing.
    Not much faith in the legal system.

just follow and read post 6 of that other thread
    its all carefully explained there

Basic Account Holder
    tired mommy x Novitiate

Now I am confused - Sorry.

I have clicked links which lead to a 1 postal order and yet another says 10.

One asks for a copy of the agreement and another asks for all the data.
    Which am I asking for? The 1 for the singed agreement - sent at the same time as the reply form.
    Sorry to be such a pain x

post 6 here
    https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u....-1st-Oct-2017

you also need to SARicon vanquis

Basic Account Holder
    tired mommy x Novitiate

Well I have received a lettericon from Lowell confirming receipt of my letter.

States they regard that document as my response to the pre-action protocolicon letter.

States the matter is in relation to a former vanquis account taken out 13th Sept 2008.
    Confirms they have requested a copy of the agreements and statements from the original creditor.
    When response is received they will contact me.
    Account remains on hold until such time.
    I can ring them if I want to.

Alarm bells are ringing for the wording 'regard that document as my response to the pre-action protocolicon letter'.
    Are they saying that is some sort of admission?
    Do I have a right to be worried?

I am unable to find much paperwork for the previous SARicon request.
    I have a letter dated 20th January 2016 which says it 'encloses a copy of the executed agreement being the vanquis visa card terms and conditions'. Debt was sold to Lowell on 30th September 2015 - Amount due 1117.98.

Attached is a 'Digital Signature Application details'. Name. Address. Employment Details etc. Covers 2 pages.
    I cant seem to locate the copy of statements, but I am sure I have had them.

There are then 4 pages under the heading 'Vanquis Credit Card Agreement And Full Terms'.

There follows 6 pages which start at a sub paragraph 23.4.
    This is different print to the others.
    The second column on the first page says it is 'A copy of my executed regulated consumer crediticon agreement for me to keep. Vanquis credit card.
    redit card agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974'.

Would I still be best sending another SAR to Vanquis?

Thanks in advance again

so you followed and filled out the reply form on post 6 of the thread detailed in post 11?

dx

Basic Account Holder
    tired mommy x Novitiate

I sent them a printed copy off here, not the one they sent in the letter.
    I ticked all the boxes advised.
    I also wrote the list of additional things I required them to supply.
    I sent the PAP form to the Solicitors and the 1 with the CCA Requesticon to Lowell.
    Obtained proof of postage for both.

Do I still need to SARicon Vanquish again as I cant find all the info from the previous one?

no that's all good
    well done

as for
    Alarm bells are ringing for the wording 'regard that document as my response to the pre-action protocolicon letter'.

nope nowt to worry about at all.

just remember that what you do have yourself and its information you keep to yourself!

Basic Account Holder
    tired mommy x Novitiate

I have received yet another letter advising me that the documentation I have requested is now being processed and will be with me as soon as possible.

Will let you know when it arrives.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details