• Tweets

• Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021.   npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279.   The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills.   I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this.   EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.    I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.   
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
    • HB - yes I agree it is about their paperwork and advice.  I need to be clear in my head what my complaint is.  And what a result looks like for me? (They should never have placed me with the shark with whom I've had all sorts of issues - but I don't think that's my complaint focus -v-  broker) 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell 2xPAPLOC's on Vanquis Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In September 2008 I took out a credit card with Vanquis Bank.

It had a ridiculously high interest rate and I very seldom use the card because if this.

Earlier this year they reduced my interest rate and increased my balance.

I have recently used a third party company to 'reclaim' my credit card charges on a card I have held since July 2008.

Whilst they say their charges are not excessive they have given me the following choices:-

OPTION 1 - accept a £175 credit and continue to repay the balance at my current rate of interest. The card cannot be used and the account becomes closed once the final amount is paid off.

OPTION 2 - accept a £175 credit. Accept an annual fee of £25.00 with no further late payment charges.

The increase of my interest rate back to what is was when I first got the card.

Either way - I lose!!!!!

I know the refund is not a massive amount,

but surely I shouldn't suffer as a result of the claim.

I am trying to draft a letter to Vanquis, but I don't seem to be getting the words right without waffling on a bit.

can anyone help?

And doesnt it seem you cannot get help anywhere

CAB too understaffed to help

128 views and nobody has a single thread of help

tired mommy x

Sorry - probably me but I am finding this a bit confusing. Can I try to summarise? Please correct if I am wrong.

You have had a Vanquis card since July 2008.

It had a high interest rate.

You have used it and incurred charges.

You used a 3rd party to reclaim those charges.

In response to your reclaim, Vanquis have offered £175 against the charges.

But they have also stipulated that they will change the terms on the card in one of two ways - and given you the choice above.

Please confirm the above or reply and edit.

• 2 weeks later...

can i ask

is the £175 the full amount you are owed,

if so how have they or you worked out the amount on offer,

also as you are aware these charges that are applied to credit card charges over £12 can be challenged as being an unfair charge,

the other offer with interest etc really plays no part what so ever

• 5 years later...

Hi

I have an old Vanquish credit card with £1117 outstanding.

I have been offered numerous settlement figures by Vanquis (last one 2014) after they stopped the use of my card (cant remember the date).

When I sent a SAR they sent me what looked like an application form and I put the account in dispute.

They said it was a legally binding contract and not an application form.

As I advised them.

it wasn't a contract that had my signature at the bottom of a list of terms and conditions and sending me the current terms and conditions wasn't good enough.

Every so often I either get an offer of settlement or a threat of legal action.

The account is in dispute, so I never reply.

Started getting letters from Lowell (probably about 2015).

They were advised the debt was in dispute.

They sent me the same as what Vanquis had and I responded the same.

I get occasional letters from them 'reminding me of the debt' and how it will not go away.

Last week I received a 'Letter of Claim' from Lowell Solicitors.

They are ready to issue proceedings against me and I have 30 days to respond.

It was assigned to them on 30/09/2015.

It says it is being issued in accordance with the Practice Direction on Pre Action Conduct and Protocols contained in the civil procedure rules. Refers me to paragraph 13 to 16 of the pre action PD concerning the courts powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with its provisions and ignoring the letter may lead to them commencing proceedings and may increase liability for costs.

It then has an information sheet giving me telephone numbers and website addresses for help I can go to.

There is also reply forms.

Section1 - Do you owe the debt.

Section 2 - How will you pay.

Section 3 - Do you intent to get, or are you already getting debt advice.

And a financial statement to complete.

It all looks seriously legit and I am wondering how to proceed.

If I ignore it could I possibly end up with a CCJ (really don't want one of them).

Should I just issue a simple letter advising them the account is in dispute and will remain so until I received a signed agreement. Even though they say the electronic application they sent me is legal and binding.

Or should I send them another SAR for all the information again?

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to proceed.

Thanks in advance of any help offered.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

moved to the provident forum.

follow post 6 of the above thread.

when did you take the card out?

when was YOUR last payment or use?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

found an old thread too and merged it with this one for history

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have got the £1 postal order to send off.

Am I right in thinking I have to print off the form here and not use the one that they sent me?

The SAR goes to Vanquish and the form goes to Lowell. IS that correct.

I did send an SAR to Vanquish a long time ago but unsure where the details have been put - could of been thrown away.

Does it matter that they have already had one?

Card was taken out around about 2008 I think.

Emails re settlement offer was around October 2014 so I would say the last payment would of been early 2014.

Lowell say debt passed to them September 2015.

Historical threads

The £175 refund was never actioned - it is included in the outstanding amount.

Got taken to court by Belmont Thornton for their fees in claiming it back.

Contested the summons.

Went through mediation with the court and ended up paying the fees as the court says they obtained the refund.

Just paid the fees and they stood the court fees.

They advised if I took it further it could end up costing me more if I lost.

Cost me £60 ish for nothing.

Not much faith in the legal system.

just follow and read post 6 of that other thread

its all carefully explained there

and they

Now I am confused - Sorry.

I have clicked links which lead to a £1 postal order and yet another says £10.

One asks for a copy of the agreement and another asks for all the data.

Which am I asking for? The £1 for the singed agreement - sent at the same time as the reply form.

Sorry to be such a pain x

and they

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have received a letter from Lowell confirming receipt of my letter.

States they regard that document as my response to the Pre-Action Protocol letter.

States the matter is in relation to a former vanquis account taken out 13th Sept 2008.

Confirms they have requested a copy of the agreements and statements from the original creditor.

When response is received they will contact me.

Account remains on hold until such time.

I can ring them if I want to.

Alarm bells are ringing for the wording 'regard that document as my response to the Pre-Action Protocol letter'.

Are they saying that is some sort of admission?

Do I have a right to be worried?

I am unable to find much paperwork for the previous SAR request.

I have a letter dated 20th January 2016 which says it 'encloses a copy of the executed agreement being the vanquis visa card terms and conditions'. Debt was sold to Lowell on 30th September 2015 - Amount due £1117.98.

Attached is a 'Digital Signature Application details'. Name. Address. Employment Details etc. Covers 2 pages.

I cant seem to locate the copy of statements, but I am sure I have had them.

There are then 4 pages under the heading 'Vanquis Credit Card Agreement And Full Terms'.

There follows 6 pages which start at a sub paragraph 23.4.

This is different print to the others.

The second column on the first page says it is 'A copy of my executed regulated consumer credit agreement for me to keep. Vanquis credit card.

redit card agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974'.

Would I still be best sending another SAR to Vanquis?

Thanks in advance again

so you followed and filled out the reply form on post 6 of the thread detailed in post 11?

dx

and they

I sent them a printed copy off here, not the one they sent in the letter.

I ticked all the boxes advised.

I also wrote the list of additional things I required them to supply.

I sent the PAP form to the Solicitors and the £1 with the CCA Request to Lowell.

Obtained proof of postage for both.

Do I still need to SAR Vanquish again as I cant find all the info from the previous one?

no that's all good

well done

as for

Alarm bells are ringing for the wording 'regard that document as my response to the pre-action protocol letter'.

nope nowt to worry about at all.

just remember that what you do have yourself and its information you keep to yourself!

and they

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

And this has raised its ugly head again.....

Just received a letter from Lowell Solicitors. Exactly the same vein as last time. They are acting on behalf on Vanquish to recover the debt. I have 30 days to respond. enclosed is a 'Background to your debt - before a claim is issued' sheet. Also enclosed is an information sheet about seeking debt advice. Finally a 'Reply Form' for me to complete. All the same boxes that I printed off from here, filled in and sent them back in March.

Do I do the same again?

Do I find their letter advising me it is in hand and they will come back to me?

Do I send a letter advising it is in dispute and I am still waiting for the information previously requested back in March?

I take it I don't just ignore it?

Brainless muppets

Is it titled letter of claim?...again

and they

Title says 'Letter of Claim - 30 days to Prevent Legal Action'.

Letter is dated 15th September 2018

Says they are acting on behalf of Lowell Portfolio I Ltd.

Reply Form is the one with options A to I and I have to fill in and return the form. If I don't, it could result in court proceedings.

Exactly the same as I returned back in March.

wack of another copy of your old reply form and a new CCA request

dont inc a new £1 PO though

they already have one they've not used

and they

• 1 year later...

In March last year I sent a PAP form to Lowell and received a letter saying they would deal with it and come back to me.

In October last year I sent a PAP form to Lowell and received a letter saying they would deal with it an come back to me. 

both were the one off here and not the one they sent in their letter.

Earlier this year I had a letter advising me that Vanquish had reduced the debt due to the miss-selling of Insurance.

Just gone onto my previous thread bit it says as there is no new thread for 378 days i should start another.

Now got a 'Payment due' letter with the new amount asking me to contact them today.  They say they are the new owner of my Vanquish account.  That's a lie because every other letter has come from them.

Do I just send another PAP form and SAR to Vanquish?  Dont mind going round this again.

Thanks in advance.

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell 2xPAPLOC's on Vanquis Debt

threads merged for you

pers i'd ignore them for now

and they