Being made homeless due to Job Centre

Casper's Ghost
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Because I was sanctioned from the Job Centre for being ill and cancelling an appointment I was sanctioned from the Job Centre. This sanction lasts 6 months. And I was not allowed hardship payment even though I live on my own. I think they got my address mixed up with my mum's. I changed my address weeks ago. But when the guy phoned up he, asked me my details. And I gave him my current address. He said 'that's not what I have on my screen'. I thought that I was declined because of that. I have a dog with me and don't have enough money for electric and gas. The council will pay rent. £50 of it. My rent is £400. Even if I am made homeless the hostel in town you have to pay for. I have only 70p in the bank. I brought food, electric and gas with it. I don't have enough money for clothes. I have looked for work but can't find anything. I hear people are getting sanctioned everywhere. For little things. I have been looking for work for years. The same excuse, no experience, no job. I have been declined so many times. I don't even have money for interview clothes. I wear clothes that are too small for me. And I am wearing my mum's sandals. Because I was in the middle of looking for shoes when I got sanctioned

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Casper's Ghost

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.

Hi Caspar. I think the folk on here will need more information before they can give you any useful advice.

Have you appealed the decision on the sanction and hardship payment?

Are you saying that the council will only pay £50 a month of your rent, or £50 a week? Are you living in a room (in a shared house, for example), or a flat or house?

I've flagged your post and asked the site team to move it to the benefits section - hopefully you'll get more advice from the people there.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Sorry I accidentally posted it here. I think it's £50 a month. I have to go to the Job centre tomorrow so I will hand in my appeal form then. I live on my own.

My hardship was refused, and I don't know if I can ask them to look it over.

I don't know what other information I can give you. I have looked into some jobs, like cleaning, and hotel staff, but there seems not to be anything in my town.

The private landlord who owns my flat has said that they can help. My dad is wanting to move out anyway, he's in a sheltered accommodation for the elderly. He's only 60. And he said he can look for a 2 bed bungalow.

But I have a dog and cat. They are staying with my mum at the moment as I can't buy them food.

OK. I have had a letter posted about the sanction again. The 3rd. This one mentions why I was not able to get Hardship.

It mentioned under why I wasn't excepted for hardship(you have been disallowed Job Seekers Allowance for failing labour market conditions) Whatever that means.

It said:We cannot pay you Job Seekers allowance from 28 march. We cannot pay you because you have not paid or been credited with enough Class 1 National Insurance contributions.

I need that money or I will be homeless. I will hand in my appeal form tomorrow, and some other forms I have to pick up. Council and that. But the council have said that they may not pay my rent. Which means I'll be made homeless. And the hostels here want you to pay, I have no money to pay. And I have a dog. My mum has been looking after her, but she's been a nuisance.

OK, I think it's really important that you get some advice from your local housing office, first of all. You need to go and speak to a housing officer, and tell them about your circumstances. Not the Housing Benefit section, you need to speak to an actual housing adviser or officer. A trip to the Citizens Advice Bureau wouldn't hurt either - they'll know what resources are available in your local area, and how to access them.

As far as I know, you don't need to be in receipt of benefits to get a crisis loan, so that's something else you could look at.

The bit about 28 March has thrown me - have you received any payments since then?

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

Well I get sanctioned till march. I got another letter this time addressed to my flat. When the other one was posted through my mum's door. I don't know whats going on. I've posted my appeal form. And was told that I can get them to look over my sanction. By adding more information. I am going to Citizen's advice on wednesday. And I will speak to an adviser at the council.

Good, I'm glad you're going to the Citizen's Advice Bureau - they should be able to advise you if there's foodbanks etc locally that can help you out in the short term.

Have you ever had a sanctions before, Caspar?

No, nothing this long. So it's scary, and last time I got sanctioned I lived at home. I've still got the food from the foodbank. The letter which was addressed to my flat was a different letter which went to my mum's.

On the back of the letter said I 'has been disallowed Jon Seekers Allowance for failing labour market. and is not in a vulnerable group". Hello! I live on my own, have to get electric and gas. I am vulnerable. Do they expect me to sleep in the cold. My flat is over 100yrs old. And even during the warmest days is freezing.

This is annoying me. I am now going to write an appeal for the Job Centre so they will look over my hard ship payment again.

Are you on the work programme? If you are on the work prgramme then you won't be entitled to any hardship payments unless you are in a vunerable group, (pregnant person within the claim, a young child within the claim or a long term medical condition that would attract a disability premium) and youn won't be eligible for a crisis loan either.

You have requested an appeal which is the only other thing I could suggest you do (along with a reconsideration request which will be looked at automatically withi the appeal).

Did you notify the relevant departments of your change of address at the time or did you forget to inform one department? Unfortunately you are still required to notify each department of the change in circumstances.

Have you received previous sanctions for failing to attend the work programme as a sanction of this length is not a first sanction period iygwim?

• Confused 1

Yes I am on the work programme. This is stupid, I was never told this, even when I got the letters. They told me to get the hardship payment. Oh great, so that means I will be made homeless due to their carelessness.

I told them of change of address. I went to the job centre and said I have moved and they gave me a letter where you fill out the change of address.

I've never had a sanction while I was on the work programme. I've always gone to my appointments it that I was ill and had cancelled an appointment that messed it up.

To receive a 26 week sanction you will have already served previous sanctions though, this will be under the old sanction rules so not through the new escalaction which also wouldn't have happened so quickly. (old rules I believe were 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 13 weeks then 26 weeks so you would have been sanctioned previously to receive the 26 week sanction)

When you notify the BC contact centre of a change of address they can usually accept the information over the phone and will only ask for further information if you are homeless and using care of addresses, or have moved into a property with other people in the property (not a flat with a complex of block but actually into accommodation that is shared).

You do not have to be in receipt of JSA to qulaify for HB/CtB you need to contact your local authority and claim the full entitlement that you have for HB/CtB so your should not be made homeless, contact your LA quickly and also Shelter/Salvation Army for advice and help.

I believe you need to establish that you've no income though, so I'm told, to get HB, and I'm not sure how you'd do that. I also heard the Council staff can't fill the HB forms in if you aren't on some sort of benefits as there's no field any more for 'no income'. This might be nonsense; anyone know?

SWLABR9, HB is not down to a lack of income, you can have an income and still receive it.

You need to check up on http://www.entitledto.com and print off the results sheet and take it to the relevant office.

No good posting 'whatif' scenarios on here when there is a totally free government website which tells you what you ought to be entitled to.

Council staff in many areas are no longer responsible for filling in forms - that is YOUR responsibility.

As sillygrls said you have to obtain and complete the paperwork yourself, staff at JCP/DWP/Councils are not allowed to complete forms for you anymore it is your responsibility to do that, all you need to do is take in your letter to show that you have been sanctioned and have been refused hardship payments as proof that you have no income.

Have you recalled any previous sanctions on your claim at all? If not then maybe the sanction has been incorrectly applied on your claim and you can reques that the period of sanctioned is looked ata again but I have to admit I have never encountered anyone go from an a record free of sanctions placed directly on to 26 weeks.

I may have had a 2 week sanction years ago. But I can't remember ever having a sanction before.

My dad is going to put me on his application for housing. So back to living with my parent. Great. My dad is looking for housing several miles outside of my town and I cannot go to the Job Centre and Ingeus. What would I have to do? My dad said that I wouldn't have to go to the Job Centre as it's to far away. I'll look at bus times and where they go.

On https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/eligibility which is the official site I believe, it used to say quite openly that you were eligible if you were on a low income or had no income. Now it seems to assume a permanent state of income of some kind. To elucidate, I have heard of HB being refused on the grounds the claim can't be processed if a claimant has no income at all. Anyhoo, just file this away for another time, hopefully it's wrong and won't ever come up again :-)

It doesn't say anything about no income. When my dad asked the housing department they said all he had to do was add me onto his application.

But my stuff, I have no idea what to do.

But the housing department has asked for information when I moved in. But it doesn't matter, I know I won't get it.

Don't just assume you won't get any help put in the application, and as for attending the JCP you will still be required to attend your local JCP and Ingenus too. You won't be excused just because you have moved they will still look at you travelling for your signing and work programme appointments, you will need to research how you will ge there if you decide not to bother with your HB application and move in with your Dad.

I have researched, and there are no buses from there, and I can't always rely on my dad. Anyway he may not get them. When he has filled out the forms for us, I'll ask him to move somewhere closer.

I've found 2 jobs, Sainsburys. They are annoying for passwords. Couldn't use the one I had in mind, no repeats. And then I had to leave it because of references.

I know I will lose my flat, it's the first time I have moved out. I really enjoyed it. And now they've destroyed it.

So when I next go up town I hand in my letter saying why I was ill and didn't come in to Ingeus. Should I phone the Job Centre up tomorrow and ask why they have refused my Hardship? Because the guy who interviewed me never mentioned that I would be declined because I am on the work programme.

You can ask why the hardship was declined but as I already stated above hardship is only payable for a work programme sanction if you are in a vunerable group.

You will have to make enquiries about signing arrangements if you do have no alternative but move in with your Dad.

I'm sorry but going to be blunt now, you don't appear to be willing to help yourself at the moment and whether it is because you are finding it difficult to cope or blatantly can't be bothered I don't know an I apologise if I have assumed incorrectly but several people have now advised you to make an application for HB in your own right but you haven't even indicated that you will follow that advice but would rather admit defeat as opposed to putting up a slight fight for something you have.

Have you actually submitted the request for a reconsideration of the sanction as yet or just left it as an appeal? If not then do it tomorrow as at this moment the only person who can help you is you.

I have the letter for housing benefits and job centre and I will send them in. I will also be going to Citizens Advice to see what I can do.The reconsideration, I did ask but they said they never heard of it. I may have pronounced it wrong. But they didn't know what I was talking about. I have the letter here, but don't know what to write or if I have written it properly. I think I called it letter of consideration.

What I have written:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to tell you why I did not attend the Work Programme appointments that was sent to me. On an appointment I had I was severely ill. And had to go to the out of hours which is at the hospital.

On Thursday the 3rd August I had cancelled the appointment with my adviser and changed it for the next day. I did go to that appointment.

I'll add this to it too. (I have been going to all the Work Programme appointments that I have asked for. And have been actively looking for work. And have sent out several CVs. I have also been going to my signing on appointments which I have always done)

The appointment was changed with my adviser so I don't understand why they got that as a missed appointment.

Also I don't know if my town is the only Job Centre where you are there for 2 minutes. I go in hand them my book and an adviser comes along and I have to sign the declaration on a table, well any table.

No sitting down, no asking if I have been looking for work. I have been writing it down, but they have never asked for it. Is that wrong of them? I used to sit down and talk to my adviser, now there's nothing.

I need to know if they have my new address. I may call them tomorrow.

The difference with your siging when you attend the Work Programme is that the providers become your advisors and if tere any doubts regarding activerly seeking, availability or job searches then it is the providers that will raise the referral to DMA, the signing team are required to ask if you have been following the action plan agreed between you and the providers, you then sign your ES24JP declaration and this is a legally binding declaration where you state that yes you have been actively seeking, available to taje employment and that all changes in circumstances including any paid or unpaid work have been declared.

They will only be looking at the date in question and it makes no difference if you have regularily attended all other job searches and appointments.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks