• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is the bank taking your Benefits ?

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Might be worth asking the bank to start an investigation.

P

I did, they said since the money was grabed back instantly by them then thats that. Apparently they only investigate if the DD goes through and is already out of the account, mine was just in the process and I noticed pretty quick 40 quid was missing cos I had put cash in the account for a wekend aways spending money so it was all worked out how much I had.

I contacted the cops but they said the bank had to raise the matter with them too. Ive been told its a DCA yet cant find anything on them at all, Id love to know how they got all my details and if they are trying to collect fraudulently on a BR debt, im waiting on printouts from the bank of the companies details too, so I should know more when they come.

Its bad when people can just add you account details and name to a DD mandate and grab cash out your account, thing is ive never given those account details to anyone, everything here is cross cut shredded before being binned.

I will be getting another account tho as im not too impressed by Barclays attitude to attempted theft.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well surprise surprise - I just logged on and the Bank have taken all their charges out of £50.00 and taken my benefits in the process despite my letter.

I immediately telephoned my branch and spoke to the Manager. I asked why my correspondence had been ignored and she said Head Office dealt with all that side of it. I demanded an immediate refund of my benefits back into my account quoting the Act. She said she would make enquiries and get back to me.

She has just telephoned and said that if I go down to the branch they will give me my benefits over the counter. She said this will then put me overdrawn again but she will make sure I am not charged for this.

I couldn't believe it!!! I was all geared up for a fight in the branch. I was even dreaming about it last night it stressed me out that much!!.

Surprise - now you know whats happened with me it shows that Banks can be bullied into backing down - don't give up.

A load of bundles of statements have just arrived in the post and I will be doing my letter to ask for all my charges back today.

Many thanks to all of you for your help. Its much appreciated.

I did, they said since the money was grabed back instantly by them then thats that. Apparently they only investigate if the DD goes through and is already out of the account, mine was just in the process and I noticed pretty quick 40 quid was missing cos I had put cash in the account for a wekend aways spending money so it was all worked out how much I had.

I contacted the cops but they said the bank had to raise the matter with them too. Ive been told its a DCA yet cant find anything on them at all, Id love to know how they got all my details and if they are trying to collect fraudulently on a BR debt, im waiting on printouts from the bank of the companies details too, so I should know more when they come.

Its bad when people can just add you account details and name to a DD mandate and grab cash out your account, thing is ive never given those account details to anyone, everything here is cross cut shredded before being binned.

I will be getting another account tho as im not too impressed by Barclays attitude to attempted theft.

Under the Direct Debit guarantee - the bank branch are responsible for an immediate refund in this situation. Please see the link for full details Direct Debit - Your rights .

She has just telephoned and said that if I go down to the branch they will give me my benefits over the counter. She said this will then put me overdrawn again but she will make sure I am not charged for this.

I couldn't believe it!!! I was all geared up for a fight in the branch. I was even dreaming about it last night it stressed me out that much!!.

Surprise - now you know whats happened with me it shows that Banks can be bullied into backing down - don't give up.

A load of bundles of statements have just arrived in the post and I will be doing my letter to ask for all my charges back today.

Many thanks to all of you for your help. Its much appreciated.

Just remember to use a spreadsheet that will include contractual interest on it!

You've no doubt paid overdraft interest on those charges - claim 'em back!

Good result tho re refund.

All the best to both

Perseus

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

I'm so glad that you have been sorted out. I think Lloyds are one of the more difficult banks to deal with. I think the fact that they go to the wire with people claiming back their charges just goes to show how bloody minded they are. When I went to bed last night I had decided that I was going to follow up my letter to the MP and update him. Funny enough my Capital One statements came this morning and I now gearing up for them.

Good luck.

WOW!!! I wish I'd known this 2 years ago when the Y.B started to take all my income support in charges and STILL left me overdrawn with not enough money to buy gas and electric, never mind food.

Martin, your a star.

P.S Why do the DWP not tell you this when you have to go on benefits??:-?

I'm not getting mad.... I'm getting even

WOW!!! I wish I'd known this 2 years ago when the Y.B started to take all my income support in charges and STILL left me overdrawn with not enough money to buy gas and electric, never mind food.

Martin, your a star.

P.S Why do the DWP not tell you this when you have to go on benefits??:-?

Im sure you can still claim it back as long as its within the 6yr period and didnt go BR unlike me.

MollieUK, you aren't doing it hard enough. Go back at them, either by letter or phone, and make sure the necessary authorities are copied in. The necessary authoroties (Department for Work and Pensions and the Department for Trade and Industry) will then be informed about their deliberate ignorance.

Insist on your money back, plus interest / damages.

Tide

Hi,

I cant believe i've only just read this!!.

I wonder if anyone can help with this query?,my sister is on disability benefits,and the only money that goes through her account is benefit money,she has reclaimed some charges from her account,but unfortunately she accepted the "goodwill gesture" from the bank,this was all before i found cag!!(Bugger!!),because she signed the letter that said in "full and final settlement",is she now stuck with what they gave her?,obviously we had no idea that they shouldnt take her benefit money at the time,and the bank obviously took full advantage of our ignorance,so can we,inlight of the facts,persue the bank for the rest of these charges,or do we have to just put it down to experiance and get the buggers the next time they charge her???,thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Hi Jadzia

I would write to the bank (I am assuming you have the details requested under a SAR request - if not, that should be done ASAP), and request immediate repayment of all charges (or balance there-of) along with contractual interest. Use the arguement that the full and final settlement was agreed in ignorance of the information you have now been made aware of. Namely - the Social Security Act 1992 - section 187, which is and has been notified to banks, and agreed with Letters between Secretary of State and British Bankers Association chief executive regarding difficulties of people obtaining direct payments because of banking problems Letters between Secretary of State and British Bankers Association chief executive regarding difficulties of people obtaining direct payments because of banking problems : Department of Health - Publications and statistics

This is a copy of the communication.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/36790-bank-taking-your-benefits-2.html#post399685 this contains a great template letter to send along /as your reclaim letter.

Here's the act

Social Security Administration Act 1992

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable **

187- Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of, or charge on-

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bancrupcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.

Most definitely pursue the rest of the charges, with interest (contractual), and stand your ground.

What they have done is unlawful in applying punitive charges in the first place. They have compounded this by illegally appropriating the benefits for that purpose.

Go for it.

All the best

Perseus.

If you need any help drafting the letter - just shout.

I'm sure we'll all come up with something.!

Hi guys, when I last wrote on this thread is was to let you all know the bank had finally agreed to settle my benefits claim case. We're about 3 weeks on now and still no money has arrived. As I suffer from mental illness, my husband has power of attorney now over my account - and he rang the complaints team at Bank of Scotland to query where my £1400+ refund was.

They claim that I never returned the form, although they had received a letter from me instructing them to settle. They would not process the claim without the form, however on my individual thread in the Halifax/BOS I was advised there not to return their form, to write my own letter. This was because in their form it says I agree to full and final settlement on all of my accounts and at this point in time, one of my other accounts is in dispute so I'd be waving my rights away to that.

The bank advisor told my husband that it was a goodwill gesture that they were refunding my money - so my husband said it wasn't goodwill, it was law and quoted the SSA 1992, that they had been taking money unlawfully from a disabled persons account and thats when things went downhill. The advisor got nasty, my husband asked to speak to a supervisor and she said someone would call him back and hung up.

I was so close to receiving my settlement I could almost smell it - now it seems the banks dont care about those on benefits, those who are disabled and their staff don't either. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. For the record, I'm agorophobic and can't go out - the last time I ventured into the bank, I was verbally abused, accused of not being disabled and ended up in tears and having a panic attack at which point they asked me to leave. I feel utterly discriminated against and have no idea where to go from here.

L

x

Im sure you can still claim it back as long as its within the 6yr period and didnt go BR unlike me.

Midnight, the 6 year period begins from the date of discovery. You can go back as long as you like.

Tide

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/80486-claiming-beyond-6-yrs.html claiming back more than 6 years now! Definitely worth a read...

Hi guys, when I last wrote on this thread is was to let you all know the bank had finally agreed to settle my benefits claim case. We're about 3 weeks on now and still no money has arrived. As I suffer from mental illness, my husband has power of attorney now over my account - and he rang the complaints team at Bank of Scotland to query where my £1400+ refund was.

They claim that I never returned the form, although they had received a letter from me instructing them to settle. They would not process the claim without the form, however on my individual thread in the Halifax/BOS I was advised there not to return their form, to write my own letter. This was because in their form it says I agree to full and final settlement on all of my accounts and at this point in time, one of my other accounts is in dispute so I'd be waving my rights away to that.

The bank advisor told my husband that it was a goodwill gesture that they were refunding my money - so my husband said it wasn't goodwill, it was law and quoted the SSA 1992, that they had been taking money unlawfully from a disabled persons account and thats when things went downhill. The advisor got nasty, my husband asked to speak to a supervisor and she said someone would call him back and hung up.

I was so close to receiving my settlement I could almost smell it - now it seems the banks dont care about those on benefits, those who are disabled and their staff don't either. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. For the record, I'm agorophobic and can't go out - the last time I ventured into the bank, I was verbally abused, accused of not being disabled and ended up in tears and having a panic attack at which point they asked me to leave. I feel utterly discriminated against and have no idea where to go from here.

L

x

Hi Waken.... I'm so sorry to hear the treatment you and your husband have been receiving. It's disgusting, discriminative, degrading and no doubt many others d's too.

I agree with the advice you had re their form regarding full & final on all accounts. That's just a cheap shot to see if you're paying attention.

As for the personal treatment you had when you last visited - my god - is there no morality left?

I've just read your other thread v BOS - don't forget that the overdraft interest they've charged you is immediately reclaimable too (as a direct result of their breach of the SSA).

Don't give up - we're here for you!

I have posted on your other thread.

All the best

Perseus

Hi Trevor,

It would be an expensive exercise I think, and one that the OFT and TS would probably handle and resolve better than a private suit!

Once you've submitted your complaint (after exhausting enquiries with your bank of course), the above authorities (along with Social Services, your local council office and Dept of Work and Pensions) will add the relevant pressure and weight to getting your problem resolved.

Like always it will all take time, but a parachute account, moving your benefits into that account and going hell for leather should get the job done.

All the best

P

I've posted earlier regarding my daughter's problems with her benefits. It absolutely beggars belief but today she's had a letter advising her of £30 charges for o/draft excess fee. They took £35.00 on 2nd April putting her into o/draft which they then took back on 5th April from benefits despite being asked not to. In the meantime I have sent all papers to her MP and I have now sent papers to FOS and also to Penny Berryman,Data Protection Dept. The charges relate to a direct debit of £40.00 to Lloyds credit card, charged her £35.00 for returning direct debit, Lloyds credit card charged her £12.00 for the return and now she has another £30.00 for excess o/d fee. thats a total of £72.00 for a £40.00 d/d to their own company. I have sent a very strong letter to Penny Berryman. Just off to post them all so that I can calm down.

May I suggest getting an N1 form from your local County Court when you're out....You may need it soon! :(

It appears that these incompetents only listen when they are threatened with legal action.

Good luck Surprise

P

I may be a bit silly on the way my thoughts go, but I am sure that by law the Banks have no right to touch any earnings related benefit,

The point I am making is that if any private individual took something that they had no right too, would not the police be interested and take action?

Could the police be informed of this missing moneies and if they can't do anything, why not.

Any answers anyone

If You are on benefits you must read this

Miscellaneous

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

In effect, the act of taking monies after being warned of the appropriation letter under the SSA92 - is theft.

Theft is a reportable criminal offence.

Yes it is worth a call to the local police station to enquire - can't hurt!

If the bank have been forewarned, given notice of the act that secures their funds, and it's all been ignored to the customers detriment, there's certainly a good reason to make an official complaint.

Im afraid that I now cant report Nat west to the police because my accounts which benefits were taken from are now with the courts but anyone who has warned the banks about benefits being taken and the problem srill persists, please give it a go it surley cant hurt, only help.

And maybe it will cause a bit of a stir!

If You are on benefits you must read this

Miscellaneous

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

You could also quote the Ministers letter (post 213) which states benefits are not the property of the beneficiary but are provided for the upkeep of the said beneficiary. Therefore the bank is misappropriating monies it is not entitled too which is theft

I've posted earlier regarding my daughter's problems with her benefits. It absolutely beggars belief but today she's had a letter advising her of £30 charges for o/draft excess fee. They took £35.00 on 2nd April putting her into o/draft which they then took back on 5th April from benefits despite being asked not to. In the meantime I have sent all papers to her MP and I have now sent papers to FOS and also to Penny Berryman,Data Protection Dept. The charges relate to a direct debit of £40.00 to Lloyds credit card, charged her £35.00 for returning direct debit, Lloyds credit card charged her £12.00 for the return and now she has another £30.00 for excess o/d fee. thats a total of £72.00 for a £40.00 d/d to their own company. I have sent a very strong letter to Penny Berryman. Just off to post them all so that I can calm down.

Surprise,

You have just solved a big problem for me. For some time, I couldn't work out how or why an organisation would continue or allow a practice to carry on when the warning signs all point out that what they are doing is unlawful.

I now believe that charges are made with a view to staff meeting targets. If I was doing something I shouldn't and was rumbled, the first thing I would do is put it right and stop doing it. The banks have made no effort to do this.

I also believe that the authorities have not stepped in when they have had the Public screaming at them because the banks contribute so much to the economy.

Given the clear evidence, a man on the street would have been strung up by now.

Unfortunately, there are some people who don't care how they get their money or what misery they cause others, as long as they look good in their nice cars. This is all target / commission driven.

Sad.

Tide

Well, letters posted to FOS, MP and Penny Berryman just wait for the next few days to see what comes back. N1 obviously the next step. Bit between the teeth at the moment. Tide, I did put these figures in the letter to highlight the utter disgrace of the whole charges issue and added afterwards (a nice little earner). Couldn't resist the dig I'm afraid. Caught me on the wrong foot this morning.