• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ridiculously noisy Fridge Freezer!

Redletter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone tell me what my rights are regarding a Fridge Freezer which was noisy from day one.

According to the manual some noise of the refrigerant is 'normal' but the noise is meant to stop after a 'couple of weeks' once everything has 'settled down'.

It hasn't! It crackles and pops like a bowl of Rice Crispies with Tourettes!

It is in the kitchen but can be heard in the lounge and upstairs when we are in bed.

I was willing to wait a while to see if it stopped but it is clear now it has not improved.

Not sure if this is relevant but this is the second one we have had. The first one was not the same as the one in the picture on the website and the door was dented. I spent ages (and lots of 10p's per minute) on the phone trying to find out which model was the one in the picture. After assurances that the first one must have been old stock the second one turned up and was the same. I informed the driver this was not the one we were told we were getting and he phoned his 'office/depot' and told them as well as writing this on the delivery note we signed.

Would this count as rejection of the item at delivery?

If not/so what action should I take?

Thanks in advance

PS It is less than 6 months old.

Edited by Redletter
forgot to mention....

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Red ,

Probably best first step is to contact COMET and request a callout for an Engineer to inspect the F F regarding the noise and take it from there .

What is the Make and Model out of interest ?

Regards

GorgieBoy

Hi ash ,

This same story was recently spoken about on the BBC 3 counties radio consumer show.

What was the story, was it with regards to this Hotpoint Model being exessively noisy or goods received NOT as ordered ?

At this moment cannot find many others complaining about this Model being Noisy but that may not be the case .

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Bought the same model with the same stupid noises - comet took it back and sent a new one, still making the clucking noises!

Can't bare the noise - if i had open plan i would have put it out the back door!:???:

I wouldnt mind but when we ordered it the picture on the website showed a fridge freezer with silver handles. When it arrived-no handles. Spent ages on the phone and they told me i had old model and they would re-order the 'correct' one. Then it arrives-no handles!

So the delivery guy phones his depot and tells them and then wrote on the delivery note that customer said it is not the right model.

So I have 2 approaches.

1) Complain about noise and request new.

OR

2) How long would I have to send it back based on the wrong model-or has that passed?

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Hi Red ,

Probably best first step is to contact COMET and request a callout for an Engineer to inspect the F F regarding the noise and take it from there .

What is the Make and Model out of interest ?

Have you contacted COMET yet and requested an Engineer to examine the FF ?

Regards

GorgieBoy

Hi wont ,

The question was to Red the OP, that said I think the COMET engineer needs to go back to school regarding how a FF works there is plenty movement going on inside a FF 24 hours a day .

This is the Freezer part Facts ,

A freezer works by drawing the heat out of the freezer compartment. To start the process, the refrigerant--in gas form--goes into the compressor where the compression process causes it to get very hot. The hot gas moves through more coils and starts to cool off. This causes the gas to turn into a liquid. Gas is forced into an expansion valve while in the liquid form. This valve has a very small opening which--when the refrigerant is forced through it--turns into a very cold mist.

As the mist goes through the coils under the freezer compartment, it starts to evaporate and turn back into a gas. The temperature of the mist is around -27 degrees at this point, and it takes the heat from the freezer compartment with it.

The refrigerant starts to warm up again as it draws out the heat, and it is sent back to the compressor to start the process over again. Each time the refrigerant goes through it cycle, it takes more heat from the freezer compartment until there is none left. This is what leaves you with frozen food.

Thermostats and Refrigerants

• The thermostat detects the temperature inside the freezer compartment and tells the compressor when to come on. This is why you will sometimes hear the freezer cycle on and off. This is also one of the most common repairs needed on a freezer. If the thermostat doesn't work, the freezer will either keep running or not come on at all.

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

I havent done anything yet as I am trying to determine whether I have cause to reject the item on the basis that it was delivered 'not as ordered'?

Redletter

Also, do I have to have an engineer when the last fridge freezer they brought us had the same fault.

In fact do I have to have an engineer at all? I thought faulty goods could be rejected anyway?

Redletter

Hi Red ,

Goods - what the law says

When you buy

new goods from a shop or a market stall, the law (principally

the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)) says they must:

match their description. This means they must be as described by

the seller. This includes any description on the packaging

. In most

circumstances, it also means that they must conform to any advertising

claims made about them;

and

be of satisfactory quality. This means the goods must be fit for their

purpose and meet the standards that any reasonable person would

expect. This includes the appearance and finish of the goods, their

safety and durability and whether they are free from defects, including

minor faults.

There are two issues here 1 Goods not as described and 2 Goods appear to be faulty .

Probably best contacting the Directors Office by Email regarding both issues and see what their response is

[email protected]

It is also worth putting your complaint is writing and send it Registered post to the Directors Office Address can be found on the COMET threads .

That at least will set the wheels in motion .

Whatever happens next we will see but I cant see COMET just replacing this FF for the cost of an expensive phone call to them at this moment .

It may be a long hard slog unfortunately even though SOGA is on your side I would suggest .

Perhaps the Site Team Guys can suggest other avenues here .

Regards

GorgieBoy

Hi Red ,

Goods - what the law says

When you buy

new goods from a shop or a market stall, the law (principally

the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)) says they must:

match their description. This means they must be as described by

the seller. This includes any description on the packaging

. In most

circumstances, it also means that they must conform to any advertising

claims made about them;

and

be of satisfactory quality. This means the goods must be fit for their

purpose and meet the standards that any reasonable person would

expect. This includes the appearance and finish of the goods, their

safety and durability and whether they are free from defects, including

minor faults.

There are two issues here 1 Goods not as described and 2 Goods appear to be faulty .

Probably best contacting the Directors Office by Email regarding both issues and see what their response is

[email protected]

It is also worth putting your complaint is writing and send it Registered post to the Directors Office Address can be found on the COMET threads .

That at least will set the wheels in motion .

Whatever happens next we will see but I cant see COMET just replacing this FF for the cost of an expensive phone call to them at this moment .

It may be a long hard slog unfortunately even though SOGA is on your side I would suggest .

Perhaps the Site Team Guys can suggest other avenues here .

Thanks for that. Has anyone had dealings with this Bob Darke character?

Redletter

• 1 month later...

I maybe a bit late joining in this conversation but I also bought the FUFL1810P from Laskys (an internet arm of Comet). Same story, the annoying clucking noise. I contacted Indesit (who make Hotpoint now) and asked them if it was normal as I had never owned a frost free fridge before and had been warned that frost free fridges can be noisy. They offered to send an engineer but warned me as I didn't take out the extended warranty, if there was no fault then they would charge a call out fee of £50. The girl on the line couldn't tell me if it was normal or not. I had second thoughts and called them again and this time the guy seemed to know a lot more about the workings of that fridge and explained that with frost free freezers (at least these Hotpoint models) the fridge is cooled by drawing air from the freezer and there are relays and solenoids that switch in and out to let the cold air into the fridge through the holes at the back of the fridge. I concluded from this that it is highly likely that the noise I am hearing is "normal" and cancelled the visit of the Engineer as I didn't want to be hit for £50.

The damn thing is still clucking but seems to be working OK. The guy at Indesit said" Like all noises that surround you, and I live near a railway track, you get used to it and after a while you don't notice it" Well I haven't got used to it yet!

As for the model you ordered having handles, I know what you mean as the illustration on Comet's web site showed the wrong model. The FUFL1810P doesn't have handles. I went into a Comet shop to check that before I ordered on line because I didn't want handles. The picture for the FUFL1810P on their website was not of the FUFL1810P.

Anyway I guess you are stuck with it now since the demise of Comet but you have the comfort of knowing that you are not alone having to listen to regular clucking from your Fridge/Freezer as I suspect that is normal operating noise for this model and maybe other frost free freezers but I haven't been told that by a professional who really knows.

• 1 month later...

Hi all..........

I have just joined this 'forum' and maybe I can give some input to this particular thread. I purchased a Hotpoint Fridge / Freezer model FFFL1810 from Currys on 18 June 2012. We had just moved house and needed a new fridge/freezer and as my wife and I have always purchased Hotpoint appliances, {washing machines, tumble driers, fridges etc.} and always been pleased with their quality and longevity, we decided to buy this model. This was to be our first frost free device and we thought the apperance was 'nicer' than most. I paid £450 for it, so it was NOT a cheap item!

After setting the machine in the kitchen {not a particularly warm room}, even checking it was level { with my woodworking level ~ how sad!}, I left the machine to set itself running. After a few hours I noticed this 'clicking' sound coming from the rear of the unit. I left it for a few days, thinking the sound might 'go away', but the noise, if anything, got more regular. Every morning when I came down to make a cup of tea, there it was, clicking away 'like a good-un'. Sometimes this went on for nearly an hour! It all came to a head when we had our first dinner party in our 'new' house and during the meal, one of the guests said........." What's that clicking sound?" {The dining room is the next room to the kitchen}.

I phoned Currys and mentioned this to them, they then organised a visit from a Hotpoint serviceman........ who said, after conducting temperature checks, that there was nothing wrong with the item. It was at this point that I approached my local consumer show on 3 Counties Radio {Beds, Herts and Bucks}. See the thread at October 3rd 2012, yes it was me!! 3CR were helpful and orgainsed another visit from Hotpoint.

Yet again, the 'engineer' conducted temperature checks {I could tell it was at the correct temperature by monitoring the fridge temperature sensor that I had purchased!} and like the first engineer, said it was not at fault. I was then in conversation that he admitted that this style of frost free fridge freezer was noisy and the clicking sound was the ice 'cracking' behind the machine! It was NOT a sticking relay, faulty thermostat or an electrical board fault, as I thought. I asked if anything could be done, the answer was NO!

The long and the short of it........ 3CR could not get any further with Currys {who my contract was with} or Hotpoint. I was willing to exchange this unit with another make {even if I had to pay extra}......... but no joy!

Well the fridge/freezer is now 7 months old and still clicking away {regularly!}. For those you might think we {on this forum and others on the Internet} are being a little fussy, take from me, I drives 'one mad'. We now have to close the kitchen door at night as we can still hear it upstairs in bed!!

So, what to do ...... 1) accept it or 2) do something about it. I'm still willing to take this matter further, as I think Hotpoint have produced something that has not been tested enough before being put onto the market, is of poor design and not fit for the purpose! Yes it does what it is meant to do ~ keep food fresh and frozen ~ but surely it must not cause annoyance!

PLEASE CAN WE ALL GET TOGETHER ON THIS....... I WILL BE SENDING A LETTER TO HOTPOINT AND RETURNING TO THE 3CR CONSUMER SHOW!!

Nick

Luckily for me this clucking noise comes and goes and is by no means constant (It is still annoying but I guess I am also "getting used to it") but as you say when it does come on it can last for up to an hour. I wonder on what grounds you can get the ff replaced, you cannot argue it is not fit for purpose (because it works OK) They claim the noise level of the unit (FUFL1810P) is 44db. I guess if you can prove that it is louder than that you can claim that it doesn't perform to the advertised spec but how do you prove that because it doesn't say where that noise level is measured (is it directly in front or behind the fridge or 10 meters away?). However there should be more knowledgable consumers experts on this forum than me.

Certainly, when I was looking around prior to my purchase I was told by a shop salesman that frost free freezers are noisy, he said he had one and wish he had never bought it. OK he was trying to sell me a "low frost" fridge/freezer but it also wasn't a Hotpoint. I haven't been able to research whether ALL frost free fridge freezers are noisy ( and is therefore something that has to be accepted if you want a frost free freezer) or whether it is only Hotpoint models. If all frost free models are noisy (or even just Hotpoints) and it wasn't pointed out to you by the Currys salesman then you may have a case to pursue that route as dissatisfaction or unsuitability.

It'll be interesting to know if as a consumer there is real case for complaint however I doubt the rest of us on this forum have a path to complain as the retailer (to whom we must initially direct our dissatisfaction) no longer exists.

Hi again.........

I have phoned BBC 3CR consumer show and they seem to be interested in following this up again. Re some of the points you made.......... I was not told by the salesman that this FF would be noisy. Is it likely that the average sales assistant would know that this particular model of FF made an unacceptable noise and if so, tell the customer? Our daughter has a Frost Free freezer/fridge unit and it doesn't make a noise. I cannot remember the make BUT it isn't a Hotpoint.

Although I hear what you are saying about "it does the job... etc" thus I cannot reject it on grounds of not 'being suitable for the purpose', surely if something is causing so much annoyance, not just to me BUT plenty of others......... someone said he was that close to throwing it out, I know the feeling!!!........ the consumer must have some recourse. BAD DESIGN MUST NOT BE EXCUSED! What happend to QA.... too expensive I guess!

I will keep trying and let you all know if I have any success BUT don't hold your breadth!

I don't want to rain on your parade but I called my cousin who bought a Bosch frost free fridge freezer recently and she tells me that hers also makes the same clucking sounds (she's heard mine). I don't want to harp on but I do suspect that all (or certainly most) frost free fridge freezers that have been designed and made in recent years probably make the same sounds. It would certainly be worth while doing a bit more research along these lines as all of us in this thread have purchased a frost free fridge freezer for the first time and perhaps should have known that frost free freezers cluck loudly. (although I don't know how if we've had no previous experience and we wouldn't think to ask). After all we wouldn't buy a petrol lawn mower expecting it to be silent would we?

No I doubt that the "average shop assistant" would know what a frost free fridge freezer sounds like unless they had one themselves and then may not think to tell a prospective customer but that may not be an excuse as far as consumer rights goes.

• 1 month later...

Hi.......... the chap who appeared on 3 Counties Radio again. Sorry I have not got anywhere with 3CR or Currys or Hotpoint. So it looks like the consumer has got to put up with this very poor design. It has got to me so much that I'm tempted to rip the back off to see where the 'bloody noise' is coming from. Does anyone have a diagram {construction diagram} of this Fridge/Freezer?

If it is as the Hotpoint engineer said....... "It is the sound of the ice cracking......" {Which I don't believe}, then I might be able to do something about it.

Any ideas out there, other than to dump this piece of 'pap'. An expensive piece of 'pap' at that!

Not impressed........... Nick

• 2 months later...

Hi there we have a Hotpoint FUFL 1810G and we have the same unbearable clicking/clucking noises and it's driving me insane, I just want to smash it to bits, I got it in January and it's a great looking fridge and does the job but I cannot handle the noise. A few weeks ago the thing started a whole new noise which my husband recorded and sent to Hotpoints facebook page, they soon sent an engineer straight out who replaced a seal and said that it was due to a build up of ice, didn't solve the clicking noise, I can't put up with it much longer but is it worth complaining to Currys or Hotpoint or am I wasting my time?

Hi

The man who went on Three Counties Radio again....... nice to know I'm not alone with the 'Clucking Fridge' Nearly incorrecty typed that last phrase!!! I'm still annoyed that I spent £490 {I think it was} on a poorly designed frost free fridge/freezer. Yes it does the job and looks very 'pretty', but like the previous contributor, it drives 'one potty'. For those who think we are being very fussy............. no we are not! This model of Hotpoint fridge/freezer {and some other makes of frost free fridge/freezers} was obvioulsy never tested before going on the market. I would advisee anyone who is thinking of buying the same model, to decide if you want to be driven 'dotty'. If it is in a garage i.e. not in hearing distance, then fine! The trouble with this particular problem is where to go to get a fair result for the consumer. I dont think it is unreasonable to have it either exchanged or have the money refunded.

The shop that sold it to me {Currys} is not interested, neither is Hotpoint! Their comment is....... "there is nothing wrong with it.......... it keeps food cool / frozen". Yes true it does, but it should not drive the customer to insanity or even make the customer want to 'smash it up'!!!

I'm just wondering if there is someone {out there} who knows what is making the noise and therefore how it can be stopped or reduced in noise level. Is there a Hotpoint engineer who can answaer the question?

Because it is a regular noise, I cannot believe it is the sound of ice cracking.......... a reason given by the second Hotpoint engineer who visited my home.

It would be nice to find someone who can help with this very annoying fault {or very poor design}

Nick

:|

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks