Penalty Charge Notice Belfast

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon. I rented a car in Ireland (Republic of Ireland) and while in Belfast I got a ticket. I received home a Penalty Charge Notice of 60 quid. They will increase to 90 quid if I do not pay by October. It was due to illegal parking, altough I was sure I could park in that spot in a Sunday. Nevertheless, they got my home address from my rental car company (I checked and they will not charge me any fees). The question now is I do not agree with the fine. If I do not pay what can happen? Can they get anything from, being from another EU country than UK or Ireland? What if I drive again in Ireland? And in Nothern Ireland? Thanks for your time

Why don't you agree with the fine. Do you have evidence to suggest you parked legally? If not, pay the fine, don't do it again. If you don't pay, you will only end up making it worse for yourself.

In what concrete and exact sense can make it worse? I do not agree and I am not prone to fear mongering at all. Could you please reply so that I understand what exactly happens if I do not pay?

The law in Northern Ireland and other parts of UK are different, and different again for the Republic of Ireland.

In my experience in England if the parking ticket is issued by a private company (which sounds like the case here) for parking on private land then they must prove a 'breach of contract', but they could only ever enforce this through suing in the civil court (which they don't often do as the burden of proof is against them). Whereas if its issued by the Police or Local Council then its treated as a criminal matter, and I imagine they could arrest you if you re-entered the country if you were in contempt of court for failing to pay a fine.

I think its highly unlikely they would pursue you in your home country, and if they did they would need to get the local courts involved in the process first.

But without knowing the law in Northern Ireland specifically it would be hard to say what could happen.