Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    kiltedlad Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Mar 2006

Default Bank of Scotland claim - settlement offered

Hi there,

I sent a claim letter off to BOS for 254.00 eight weeks ago, got two letters fobbing me off. However, yesterday I received a proposed settlement of 166.00. Now my amount of 254.00 has reduced to 224.00 due to it being a number of years ago.

166.00 represents 75% of the unlawful charges, but I was wondering if I am sacrificing any more than just the remaining 58.00 by accepting their offer. Am I sacrificing any rights?

Similar Threads:
    Townie living in Kinghorn, Fife!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder
    catiscot Novitiate

Default Re: Bank of Scotland claim - settlement offered

You will get the full amount for sure, just by refusing their offer.

willowb

Why has the amount reduced? I don't understand that. If you want to settle then it won't affect you claiming in the future even if you sign that you won't. Why don't you go for the full amount? is it including interest?

Wxx

Basic Account Holder
    kiltedlad Novitiate

There was a charge which is now too long ago to be counted.

I don't think I have ever paid interest on charges. As soon as I go through the overdraft limit and get charged I usually get a cash advance the next day to put me in the black again. Or is there another hidden cost I am missing?

Follows
    Following

willowb

You do know that when you send off your dpa letter for your statements the clock stops ticking? So, you can claim back the 6years plus from the date of when you sent your dpa to when you file your claim.

But anyway, if you accept the 166 then you are sacrificing your right to the 58 because you have accepted a Full and finalicon offer. Go for the lot why don't you? .....you'll get but you'll just have to wait a little longer for it.

your claim should be charges plus interest....have you added the 8% apr to your claim? have you sent away your lbaicon? tell us what stage you're at.

Wxx

Basic Account Holder
    kiltedlad Novitiate

Just my impatience kicking in WillowB - I sort of can't believe it has worked!

I sent my Data Protection Act letter away ages ago, and got the statements from which I totted up the bank charges. I did not add the 8% APR - as I thought they were talking about a separate interest on charges which I didn't think I had been charged on!

I sent this letter away and after a fobbing off letter four weeks later I received
    this offer of settlement another four weeks later.

Follows
    Following

willowb

But have you sent your lbaicon yet? If not then you need to work out 8% interest......charge amount X 0.00022 X number of days since offence.....do this for each charge (or use the spreadsheet on this site!!!) and then send the schedule of charges plus interest off with your lbaicon. If you have sent your LBA already, then just send them the figures with a letter saying that you'll accept their offer as part payment and will be pursuing the rest in Court, then file your claim. MCOL, it'll cost you 80 but you claim that back.

make sense?

Wxx

Basic Account Holder
    kiltedlad Novitiate

Thanks willowb - will have to go over this again. Have actually signed acceptance and put it in pre-paid envelope, but will reconsider.

Although I was advised not to claim the 8% interest in another part of the site, until I take them to court?!?!

Or should I reply now asking for the specific interest? I simply said in my letter 254.00 plus interest.

Follows
    Following

willowb

Hi

So, you have sent your lbaicon?

You have not filed a claim yet?

When can you file your claim (2 weeks after sending your lba)? I think what you should do is send them a letter stating accepting their offer as part payment and state the date you intend to file a claim, along with this attach a schedule of charges with a schedule of interest for each charge ( until you take them to Court, yes! this is a letter before actionicon, so you are intending to take them to Court ). Then file your claim on the date you specified.

If you don't want to go for the interest (work it out and see) then just settle, it's up to you but that extra just may be worth it!

Wxx

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details