• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

alliance PPI claim - issues re SAR

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3958 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys - just need to run this past folk who are more knowledgeable

I am thinking of starting a PPI claim against A&L, just need to know if it's worth it?

I have a copy of my original credit credit agreement from when I took out the loan in 1998

which outlines payments, duaration, interest, PPI payments etc.

Everything was fine until I was made redundant in 2001,

after which time it was passed to a DCA.

Subsequently dealt with DCA and paid off arrears,

but during this time I was sent a letter by A&L in which they state they were cancelling the protection due to the arrears on the account

questions:

is it worth starting a claim from that far back?

Do I need to SAR them seeing as I have a copy of the credit agreement?

does the fact they cancelled the PPI themselves have an impact on the claim?

thanks in advance

Absolutely.. they have had your money - and cancelled the policy when you were made redundant therefore preventing you from making a claim :)

Although if there are any other reasons such as you didnt request it, that it was implied it was mandatory in order to obtain the loan.. which gives further ammuntition that it was then cancelled at a time when you needed it most.

Have a look round the forum, in particular all the stikkies in the Payment Protection Forum :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

from 1998 it will be worth £1000's

no you dont - long as you know what you paid and when.

they wont have that data anyhow i bet now.

if they cancelled it, that mght cut the amount short

however, if they cancelled it,...did your PCM then go down?

should have

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks for the reply - unsure what PCM means?

so - long story short do I need to SAR them? or just go ahead and try to make a claim?

don't have a record of what was paid and when, just the agreed amount and date on the original credit agreement

This is going to be a steep learning curve for me as I have others i'd like to chase, looks like i'll be up late tonight reading as much as I can!!

i'll be back .............

Per Calander Month Payment

not much to read really its not diff

all you need is the data of WHEN you paid each month and WHAT you paid

[you obv missed payments so would not have paid PPI that month]

or

[you paid less than the monthly so paid less PPI]

imho

i would do this:

forget they cancelled it

forget you missed paymnt

just put in a claim as if you paid the PPI PCM every month

let them work it out

that you paid short & they also cancelled it.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This first spreadsheet is the latest version of the statutory interestlink3.gif calculator and is used for Single Premium PPIlink3.gif cases. It can also be used where rollover PPI is involved, i.e. a new loan re-financing a previous one and where PPI is included in one or more loans.

StatIntSheet v101.xls

fill this in for every month [£23.71]

till its expected end date [48mts]

dx

and they

OK - downloaded the spreadsheet. I read the wiki tutorial, then read it again, and then again. I'm confused. Is there a real simple "hold your hand" guide to this process anywhere? I found my start date, so do I just calculate 48months from then? Do I then add the 8% to the final total?

23.71 x 48=1138.08 + 8%

no read what i said in post 7

your enter the date for EVERY MONTHLY PAYMENT [the 48mts from start date]

then 'ppi payment' [the same thing - copy n paste] in every row of the next col.

then the amount for each moth [23.71 ] [the same thing - copy n paste] in every row of the 3rd col.

thats all you have to do

the spready does the rest.

dx

and they

right then - did the spreadsheet and came up with a figure. When I send in the letter do I include a copy of the spreadsheet as proof of my calculations? Do I also let them know I have a copy of the original agreement or keep it quiet to use if they become difficult?

two more bit of paperwork first

fill this in:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html

and write a SIMPLE BRIEF covering letter

give me my money back!!

the FOS CQ covers the reasons WHY you want it back

post all 3 recorded to A+L

FOS CQ + SOC + covering letter

dx

and they

• 1 month later...

have recently sent santander a SAR re. my old a&l account

I used the template which specifically requests proof of history/document destruction signed by the officer responsible etc. and their reply has left me confused;

"we would like to advise that historical information can only be retained for legitimate reasons, so some data may no longer be held as it has been deleted in line with our data retention policy. We can confirm that we have sent you whatever personal data we still hold in relation to the above customers account"

I have received nothing at all from them, as well as no confirmation of destruction including the methods used as requested - am I being fobbed off?

They also state they have fully complied with my request by;

"providing all the personal data we hold for the respective mortgage account and is that which you are entitled to under the data protection act"

I have to point out at this stage that I have never had a mortgage, with ANY lender, so would appreciate advice as how to proceed. They still have 10 days of the 40 left, and have cashed my cheque for the £10 fee

• 6 months later...

sent santander SAR in august and no reply within time limit even though they cashed the cheque. Eventual reply was delay tactics claiming I needed to identify myself. Resubmitted SAR again no reply within time limit. Eventual reply was along lines of "old account, you are asking for too far back, we are not obliged to keep records beyond 6 years so yours have been destroyed"

sent PPI claim and reply yesterday was rejection (which i am going to fight, will create seperate thread) but along with their reply were copy statements of my loan account - which they should have sent me when I sent in a SAR which they claim they don't have in the original SAR response.

I'm sick of these twisting ba$tard$ and their delay tactics, runarounds and obvious lies. What can i do now? I have already sent complaint to ICO but short of court action and a whole lot of heartache that this would create is there anything else I can do?

Can i jump in here. I too have done the same as u and also got nothing back. Am interested in the advice u get

sorry i cant offer any. I have sent many letters to chase this. Even had a text message saying they had dealt withy request but recieved nothing.

Please add to my reputation....

SUCCESS - Capital One PPI, Three Mobile charges, Orange Mobile charges, MBNA PPI

Wonga, Lowell, MMF 2 accounts, Provident x 3 Accounts, (ALL Unable to provide CCA)

They are supposed to keep records for 5/7 years AFTER the financial relationship has ended.

You could ask to see a certificate of destruction!

So they, cashed your cheque - failed to respond to SAR - then when you chased them up they ask you to prove your identity ? They are supposed to ask for any further information in a timely manner. So I reckon you might want to either have a look at BCOBs and see if there is anything there you can use - links in my signature - highlighted in Green.

Or you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Your responsibilities and obligations to data protection

The above link takes you to the guide for business on how they are to deal with DPA requests.

Guide to data protection – definitions, principles and practical examples

BCOBS

You could ask to see a certificate of destruction!.

I already did in my SAR - got the usual "we have provided everything you are entitled to under the act" etc and a statement claiming destruction but no evidence

UPDATE:

spoke to FOS on phone today, they seemed very interested in my case but in the first instance advised me to write to them again pointing out the fact that I have evidence of PPI on the account, as well as a succesful claim on the PPI itself. I suppose at the moment it's my only option, as the FOS will probably take over 12 months to investigate if I hand it off to them.

I have read somewhere on the web that if I do instigate FOS then santander will get charged a referral fee in the region of 850quid? If this is the case then surely it's in their best interest to pay me off and make me go away now?

I already did in my SAR - got the usual "we have provided everything you are entitled to under the act" etc and a statement claiming destruction but no evidence

UPDATE:

spoke to FOS on phone today, they seemed very interested in my case but in the first instance advised me to write to them again pointing out the fact that I have evidence of PPI on the account, as well as a succesful claim on the PPI itself. I suppose at the moment it's my only option, as the FOS will probably take over 12 months to investigate if I hand it off to them.

I have read somewhere on the web that if I do instigate FOS then santander will get charged a referral fee in the region of 850quid? If this is the case then surely it's in their best interest to pay me off and make me go away now?

Yes, this is correct there is an investigation fee charged to the banks. I don't think they give a damn if they are charged or not - they will no doubt write it off to expenses !!

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

sent santander a letter outlining my argument and pointing out the errors in their response, "strongly advising" them to look at my claim again. Also mentioned their breach of the DPA and my complaint to the ICO.

Got a response in which they apologised profusely for errors made on their behalf, made me an offer of settlement over and above what I was claiming AND a further payment as a goodwill gesture

what a result - got to get my other claims moving now as this was my "test case" to see if I could do it

Well done, I will mark your thread title as a success :)

BCOBS

alliance & leicester loan from 1997

sent in a SAR to which they replied by saying it was a historic account, they had destroyed my info and that, bluntly, I would get nothing as I had been sent everything I was entitled to

submitted PPI claim with copy of original credit agreement (I throw very little away) showing breakdown of monthly payments including PPI. Their reply stated that my accounts showed no PPI attached, and they included a statement showing all my payments. GOTCHA - you previously told me you had destroyed all my data? wrote them again, strongly suggesting they reconsider their position as I had written evidence

a:to the contrary

and

b:of them lying to me in my SAR response

also told them I was making official complaint to ICO in respect of breach of DPA 1998, the OFT, the banking ombudsman and also handing off my claim to the FOS for which they (now santander) would be liable for a £850 referral fee

got reply back - profuse apologies, offer of settlement £300 over and above what I originally claimed and a £25 goodwill gesture payment as an apology

result

Excellent.

As this was your "test" case, I would hope the others go more smoothly.

BCOBS