• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

A little advice on charges guide

Guest NATTIE
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5685 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest NATTIE

I am posting in all bank forums on a guide that I asked initially for help on the Bank Workers section. I hope to get a guide together on each bank forum on the charges and their changes over the last 6 years. So can you help me to help the Moderators and site helpers on the site with an easy access guide to penalty charges. I need to know amounts and charge over the last 6 years.

This thread is a research thread so I can collate all the charges into one single thread to help newbies and this site to calculate their charges as quickly as possible.

Thanks in Advance for your help

Guest ian cognito

Alliance & Leicester

2004 (sorry can't go any further back)

Paid item charge £25

Failed direct debit/standing order charge £30

Unauthorised overdraft charge £25

Failed Direct Debit charge £34

Unauthorised overdraft charge £25

Paid item charge £25

No change

This will be a really useful tool for the users on this forum and all the others, so please help NWSM. For those of you who don't know him, he is really quite nice, so don't be put off by the name!

Thanks for the help Natty

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

hi nwsm

heres a few i had, hope it helps;

July 2001 Unpaid cheque charge £27.50

June 2002 paid item charge £25.00

Sept 2002 Failed DD charge £29.50

April 2003 Failed DD charge £29.50

June 2003 Failed cheque charge £29.50

April 2004 Paid item charge £25.00

July 2004 Failed DD charge £29.50

Nov 2004 Failed DD Charge £30.00

Nov 2005 Failed DD charge £34.00

Feb 2006 Failed DD charge £34.00

June 2006 Paid item charge £25.00

Think they charge what they feel at the time by the looks of it!!!! Keep up the good work!!

:cool: Lily :cool:

Alliance & Leicester;

LBA 22nd July 2006

Reply 31st July

MCOL 6/8/06

PAID IN FULL 25th August 2006.....

DONATION HAPPILY GIVEN.......

If you are happy with my help please click on the scales at the side of this message

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say having just done mine the A&L charges are very confusing when you get back to 2004 and before. It seems to be £25 monthly OD charge and £29.50 failed cheque on mine before June 2004 and as above thereafter.

Alliance and Leicester: started 2/9/6, LBA 7/11/06.

• 2 weeks later...

Where does the term 'penalty charge' come from? Are they meant as a punishment meted out to those who, for whatever reason, do not keep their accounts in order? I thought the banks argument was that these charges cover administration costs'. Why, then, penalty?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

can any one please help i started going through the process of retreiving my bank charges and have just received a letter from a&l saying in so many words no can do. that was the LBA. SO NOW ITS GOING TO AS FAR AS COURT BUT I HAVE GONE THROUGH THE COURT BUNDLE AND DONT NO WHERE TO START can any one point me in the right direction and where to start first. my son deleted all my emails just before christmas so i have gone on to this thread i hope its not a problem because i dont knoww where i was its such a big site.

:-? No not yet was'nt sure what i had to do first. I no this may sound stupid but how do i do that im not the brightest of people and its took me quite a lot to get this far so am amazed at myself :shock: any help and advice you could give me would be very much appreciated thanks :)

Guest NATTIE

Ok willett, have you got a live thread on the forum? What you need to do is re read the step by step instructions again in the bit that relates to making a claim.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I don't know if you're still interested in this. I've got figures to 2000.

un auth o/d £3.50 per day to a max of £52.50

failed dd £10.00 or £27.50 depends on value of dd

failed chq £10.00 or £27.50 depends on value of chq

Jenny

Will, this thread started when I really thought I could do for most banks what I had done for NatWest, which is make sure that people claimed correctly and won all the time. I am not an expert on A&L and Caro kindly put this as a stickie, which i am grateful for. If you have info on other banks please feel free to post on other banks threads. If you look under the quick reply box you will see threads on other banks that I tried and unfortunately failed to do but feel free to post on those one, I am always grateful that someone has both the info and inclination to post on all of them. I hope that explains it.

• 2 weeks later...

The unauthorised and authorised rates are the same, the specific rate to use varies depending on the type of account you have whether current, flexi-plan, etc..

In the case of a current account, these were the monthly & EAR rates for Alliance & Leicester from before the time they took over Giro Bank till present. I know in the case of keyway accts or similar named the rates were much higher than current account rates

UNAUTH/AUTH OVERDRAFT INTEREST RATES APPLIED VALUE EAR

MONTHLY INTEREST RATE (NOV 1989 - AUG 1990) 2.00% 26.75%

MONTHLY INTEREST RATE (SEP 1990 - JUL 1991) 2.50% 34.50%

MONTHLY INTEREST RATE (AUG 1991 - MAY 1993) 2.30% 31.30%

MONTHLY INTEREST RATE (JUN 1993 - SEP 2001) 2.20% 29.80%

MONTHLY INTEREST RATE (OCT 2001 - NOV 2002) 0.99% 12.50%

MONTHLY INTEREST RATE (DEC 2002 - DEC 2004) 1.25% 16.08%

MONTHLY INTEREST RATE (JAN 2005 - FEB 2007) 1.33% 17.08%

I hope this helps, if going for the contractual interest rates it would be sensible depending on how far back you claim for charges goes, to use the rates at the time when these charges were applied. A useful site that can help with such calculations roughly is Geek Hideout --> Compound Interest Calculator.

All you need to do is calculate on a per charge basis with the varying rates over the number of years the particular charge was applied (note the monthly addition should always be zero).

Then comparatively work the number of months for the charge on one rate and then find what its sub-total comes too for those months.

Then hop onto the next column (which is at a different rate) and locate the sub-total (in paragraph above) in the column. Once found use it as your starting point and again calculate the number of months on this rate, you will end up having a newer higher total. You can continue this for each of your charges.

Note it is rather laborious process and not for eveerybody, but it does make a huge difference for those seeking to pursue the contractual interest rate method (especially if you have charges that pre-date 2000). :smile: