• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CFO emptied my bank account at 3am :/

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Azzadle - I am struggling to see how CFO could access another account with another bank since the account they had details of has closed?????? Are you absolutely sure no other company has your details? They found me when I made the mistake of applying for a PDL with someone else, since many of these companies are linked.

It surely cannot be possible for them to access details of a completely different account with a completely different bank??

Does anyone know if these wretched CPAs get transferred across with DDMs etc if you move your bank account? If that is the case they basically have carte blanche to take any money they want, from any account you will ever have!! :shock:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PDL's are known to share details of debtors banking information.

Also, banks in the same banking group have been known to allow payments to creditors. For instance, RBS group of banks. If you had an account with one of them with a recurring transaction, and moved to another bank in the group, they would send all info to the new bank and continue processing. We have had multiple reports about this, but still dont know the legalities of it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Born - i have never made a payment to a pdl from the current account i have, and i did not use a banks switching service ever. I opened the account and set up my one direct debit myself which is for car insurance. That's all i have going out. I just dont know how they got my details but all i know is that i certainly never gave them to them let alone approving any of the transactions.

YOu dont need to have used a bank switching service. Simply opening an account with the same banking group is enough for some banks to transfer details. Its why CAG advises that when opening a new account, to make sure its with a totally different group of banks.

Regardless though, you MUST find out how they got it. Perhaps a Polite but very firm letter to the PDL is in order.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Old bank was Santander, new bank is Co-op, I believe they're unrelated as it were. Either way they aint keeping that money,even had the cheek to ring me earlier, probably wanting more. Pigs.

Hi Azzadle,

You should complain to the bank, to the FOS and to the OFT (who regulate such lenders) to get answers on how this was allowed.

See here for an encouraging update in a similar case - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?360740-CFO-Drained-my-account-Too!-**RESOLVED**-and-CPA-cancelled(1-Viewing)-nbsp

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Azzadle,

It appears we had the same problem around the same time, only difference being that we're with different banks. The people you're speaking to sound like the call centre monkeys... What I did, after a few days was to call the Head Office Customer Relations Team who sorted it within 10 minutes.

As Renegadeimp kept saying to me, DON'T GIVE UP! The Customer relations teams tend to be all powerful and in some companies are just below the chief exec as far as powers go! You should find their details on your banks website.

You didn't authorise the payments so it's a fraudulent payment, which ever way you look at it!

Have a look at the complaint I sent to barclays (Page 1 or 2 I believe) http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?360740-CFO-Drained-my-account-Too!-**RESOLVED**-and-CPA-cancelled(1-Viewing)-nbsp

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks everyone for your help with this. The bank refunded the lot last night without me even contacting them. Having spoken to them they said the payment had been sat a pending for ages because it'd been flagged up as possible fraud and they basically wouldnt release the funds. Every penny is back in my account and they've stipulated that if they somehow manage to do it again then it'll be instantly rejected and the money returned to my account immediately. Result.

Excellent news :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Congrats. Brilliant news!

Congrats. Brilliant news!

However, I couldn't actually get at the money yet and had bills that needed paying.. new card came on Monday but no PIN has arrived with it, guy from the bank said walk into a branch with photo ID and it's fine, what he didn't state is that ex-Britannia branches don't count and the only ones near here are ex-Britannia, the nearest Co-op branch is Exeter, 55 miles away! Had to do a faster payment to a friend's account who was with me and get him to withdraw it, what fun that was :razz:

Hey, at least the money is back under your control :)

Hi Azzadle and I'm really pleased this is sorted.

I think the banks are slowing getting the idea that the customer has the right to control their money and CPA's !!

:whoo:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I asked about cancelling the CPA and he said since my new card came they tried a further 33 times to take £231 but all failed because the card has been cancelled. He just said the account has a mark on it so if they manage to take anything then it'll instantly be returned.

I hope you reported the pdl. Thats bordering on blatant theft/fraud.

• 1 month later...

I wish I banked with the Co-Op!! Nationwide refused a visa dispute/chargeback on my £250multiple debits to CFO as they obtained a copy of the £100 loan agreement with all of CFO's default charges on (including for letters they didn't send) and as we came to deadlock they sent a final "No" letter and I am awaiting the FSO to try to get my money back (which incidentaly half of it was my child benefit payment) since 31st July. I am not going to give up though!

Nationwide breaking the law yet again. Keep at it, even if it means that you go all the way to court.

It is no concern of theirs what happens with your money. Especially the creditor giving bogus information in order to keep the money taken. If this was legally allowed, any creditor in the country could generate a false statement and gain the money.

Have you considered emailing Stella Creasy MP and giving her the info so far? She has a lot more push with them, and also has some very eager national journalists from the national media ready to take up big stories like this.

She;s also helped a good amount of people on this site who have gone through hell and back to get their issues sorted. Mainly because the PDL's know that she will get the stories published.

• 1 year later...

I'd completely forgotten about these con artists until a letter dropped through my door yesterday about an old loan with them.

Took the loan of 350 out about 2 and a half years ago, made the first payment of approx 117 and never paid anything after that, despite trying to set up a repayment plan etc. They raided my bank account but it was refunded in full.

Now this is where it gets interesting..

SOMEHOW they obtained my card details for a totally seperate account to the one they'd raided before. Nobody knew of this new account. At this point they claimed the debt was a shade over £930. They took approx £670 out of this new account, so I phoned the bank and they said the money actually hadn't been 'claimed' yet. The payment dropped off the system after a week and the money was returned to me. The bank blocked them permanently and no further money was ever taken. This was roughly in June 2013.

Between now and then, I check my old phone and have a barrage of voicemails and texts from them, some of which stating 'WE ARE CALLING AT YOUR HOME AND WORK TONIGHT, CALL US TO AVOID THIS'.. bs, clearly. No letters until yesterday.

Yesterday's letter states that my balance is approx £260, and their words are 'make us an offer'. Interesting. They took all that money in 2013, yet it was refunded to me but they've deducted it from the balance! How should I play this one? Offer them £5 to close the account and give them the 'one month plus interest, but they've had more than that' line? Ignore altogether?

Oh, for what it's worth, they say they've registered a default in my name multiple times in texts and in this letter, but they don't even show on my credit file anywhere. If I pay them then apparently i'll get out of default. Laughable.

I am having a very difficult time with these guys. They ignored me initially and I set up a standing order to pay them (advised from step change). They then changed their bank details last year without notifying me so i was late paying, i got their new details made an immediate payment and continued to pay by SO. Yesterday I received an email to say that as agreeed? they would be taking 330 out of my account on the 5th of March. I rang them and was told by that they "have ways to obtain my new bank details and they are owed the money and will take it"!!!! I challenged this as they had my details when I was with a completely different bank. I would query the legalities of the obtaining my details how are they doing this personally I think it must be by fraud/deception. (I have NEVER given them my new details).

I have just emailed to request full itemised details of my account and also for a copy of their complaint's procedure. Do they have to give me this? I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do, I am not trying to get out of paying them but they keep saying I owe different amounts which is confusing in itself and when you ring to speak to them they treat you like a criminal and are threatening and nasty. This is the only company I have had issues with.

Today I received a letter saying I haven't made a payment (I have the last one was on Monday!) and to contact them and make them an offer and they will remove the default. I intend to make a formal complaint and will no longer speak to them on the phone.

Any advice on where to go from here at a complete loss.

Thanks

Yes, they are obliged to provide you with a full accounting and also a copy of their complaints procedure.

You can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman in respect of the unfair treatment received.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?399260-Feel-that-you-ve-been-treated-unfairly-by-your-Payday-loan-lender-COMPLAIN-TO-THE-FOS!!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D