how to deal with 10 year old council tax ????

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Im not sure if this is the correct place to ask so please let me know if not.

I will try and make this as brief as possible; at 19 I rented out a flat for approx 1 year,( this was 10 years ago) I was in a terrible relationship at the time he did not live with me officialy however did stay over alot. I was very young and naive and believe it or not didnt actualy know or think about council tax. I did not pay this at all I vaguely remember receiving a letter about it. Although so long has passed since then I havent a clue what the letter was now.

I have not been contacted by the council for the monies owed.

I am now worried about this and would like to be able to sort it out. In an ideal world Id go into my local council ask about it they'd give me a bill and Id pay it. Without any added hassle. I no longer live in the country however I might move back at some point and dont want this added stress..

Any advice on how to deal with this would be great. Ideally I would go to CAB but not living in the country proves difficult.

I would like to know the best way to deal with it. I have no problem paying the amount and do not care to dispute what I may owe just simply wish to sort it out and never think about it again. and how the council would deal with it also..i.e will they interview me etc ?

thanks any advice would be great...

Hi haze

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

thanks for your replies and putting it in the right place.

forgive my ignorance but I have been googling liability orders.. which i believe is a demand via the courts to make you pay the full amount plus costs. I cant imagine that the council would let something like council tax slip by not getting a liability order...

Hi,

If six years have past without a liability order being sought then the debit is 'statute barred' and can't be legally enforced and may have now been written-off.

If a liability order has been issued then the original charge plus costs will still be payable. If you are able and willing to pay it all in full then they will more than likely be happy to accept payment without question. If you would want to pay in instalments the you may find it harder, but as you are out of the country they can't take enforcement action, os the ball is firmly in your court.

Hi,

that makes sense now, so how would I find out if they had a liabilty order against me? I have also read that there may be numerous liability orders upon one person, so would that be for the same thing that they would apply for a number of liability orders..if so then i presume the bill would really add up then.

If you phone the council they would be able to tell you or the clerk at the magistrates court which issued the liability order, would be able to tell you.

The council would have to get a liability for each financial year, so if you lived at the house for approximately one year your probably looking at a maximum of 3 LO's.

• 2 weeks later...

right i see, please excuse my stupidity but i dont understand why there would be 3 LO's for one year, do you mean for example it could have gone from april to april being 2 LO's and then the months after this constituting another one ? I think the council tax for one year it would be band A which wouldnt be cheap but right now i think i deal with it. however how much can they put on top of the actual tax owed in the first place ? thats the worrying thing. I did read that it they cant issue a warrant for arrest until you have been to court which is a relief. so I guess my only option now is to ring the council and proceed from there. think i may go to the cab first and see what they advise ..