• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

SweetRevenge v RBOS **WON** CONTRACTUAL INTEREST!!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5356 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all you disgruntled RBOS customers, my very first post on this (or any other) forum and grateful thanks to BlueSkies for showing me how!

I'm new to the internet, new to broadband, new to moneysaving and new to revenge, but I'm more than ready for the fight ahead and itching to get on with it. Bring it on!

If there's anyone there who wants to share experiences I'd love to hear from you.

:)

:lol: Sweetrevenge :lol:

Don't get mad - get even!

If I've helped you please hit my scales 'n' bump my rep!

RBS (My A/c) S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent /10/06, statements rec'd 20/10; Prelim sent 3/11/06, s*d off letter rec'd 20/11; LBA sent 28/11, Settlement offer rec'd 18/12

WON at LBA with compound contractual interest £607

RBS BF Account S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 4/11, part response rec'd 28/11, further info sent 3/12 awaiting statements at 20/12, Sent LBA 19/01/07. Received all statements resulting in 3 claims, £1,278, £4,279 and £7,250(!) all with contractual interest.

This is now very out of date!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sweetrevenge

and welcome to the RBS forum!!!

You'll find that there are plenty of people willing to help, all of whom have been through exactly the same thing and are fighting back against the RBS and more importantly winning!!!

First of all have a good read around the forum and get a feel for the tactics RBS tend to use, as they all tend to follow a similar pattern, and post back here if you have any questions etc or just need a bit of support.

Stacy xx

NatWest - Settled in full 22/05/06

RBS- Prelim sent 9/05/06 £1,147

£500 offer 27/05/06, rejected 30/05/06

LBA sent 25/05/06 :razz:

MCOL 15/06/06

Defence received 20/07/06

Settled in full 01/09/06 wahey!!!!!!!!!

Hi Stacy and thanks its nice to know i'm not on my own out here! Sent off my DPA on Friday Recorded delivery so I've set the ball rolling - i recognise its a slow one tho!

Looks like you've had lots of success - always encouraging to hear. I'll spend the time waiting having a look around as you suggest.

Speak soon

SR xx

RBS (My A/c) S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent /10/06, statements rec'd 20/10; Prelim sent 3/11/06, s*d off letter rec'd 20/11; LBA sent 28/11, Settlement offer rec'd 18/12

RBS BF Account S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 4/11, part response rec'd 28/11, further info sent 3/12 awaiting statements at 20/12, Sent LBA 19/01/07. Received all statements resulting in 3 claims, £1,278, £4,279 and £7,250(!) all with contractual interest.

Hi all,

has anyone got a clue how to approach this one: my partner wants to reclaim charges against RBofS***, problem is it was a joint account and his ex isn't going to want to help - if it needs her signature she won't do it, in fact she would actively try to prevent him getting money. So that's hurdle number one. I believe that he can ask for schedule of charges in his own right, and then any money reclaimed should be split with her. Is this the right way to go about it?

Secondly, RBOS knew he was in debt to the tune of about £17k with personal loans, cards etc, (all of which he took out to satisfy her never-ending greed for all things material) and that he wouldn't be able to open another current account elsewhere. So they said he could have one with them, provided he consolidated their £2,200 (unauthorised) overdraft with his RBS personal loan £5k left to pay, effectively increasing his loan to £10,000 including the interest on the loan :mad:. The overdraft interest was 29.8%, the loan interest also high. They then removed his overdraft facility - this put him unauthorised overdrawn and he paid charges every month. At one point he was (unauthorised) overdrawn by £45 - by the time they had added interest and charges at the end of a couple of months this had become £470 ish.

I know this is a bit of a tangle - could I have some help please with working out which bits of this are reclaimable?

Thanks for any help you can give. :???:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

has anyone got a clue how to approach this one: my partner wants to reclaim charges against RBofS***, problem is it was a joint account and his ex isn't going to want to help - if it needs her signature she won't do it, in fact she would actively try to prevent him getting money. So that's hurdle number one. I believe that he can ask for schedule of charges in his own right, and then any money reclaimed should be split with her. Is this the right way to go about it?

Secondly, RBOS knew he was in debt to the tune of about £17k with personal loans, cards etc, (all of which he took out to satisfy her never-ending greed for all things material) and that he wouldn't be able to open another current account elsewhere. So they said he could have one with them, provided he consolidated their £2,200 (unauthorised) overdraft with his RBS personal loan £5k left to pay, effectively increasing his loan to £10,000 including the interest on the loan :mad:. The overdraft interest was 29.8%, the loan interest also high. They then removed his overdraft facility - this put him unauthorised overdrawn and he paid charges every month. At one point he was (unauthorised) overdrawn by £45 - by the time they had added interest and charges at the end of a couple of months this had become £470 ish.

I know this is a bit of a tangle - could I have some help please with working out which bits of this are reclaimable?

Thanks for any help you can give. :???:

Has anyone tried this and can you advise please? thanks

I can see you have all the time in the world for this lovely woman;) , BUT

It is probably worthwhile asking her to sign a quick note giving your OH authority to act on that account only. If you can get the bank to act on a SAR, then you will have a good idea of how much you'll get. That way, you can promise her £xxxx to help feed her "need for all things material".

Worth a go in my humble opinion.

j

• Confused 1

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

Thanks weej, gee you sound like a nice, well-balanced, grounded human being. .. wonder where I went wrong!

Worth a try - thanks again:oops: :rolleyes:

Aww shucks...........

j

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

Sweetrevenge

Royal Bank of Scotland Plc

CLAIM DATE:01-Nov-06

INTEREST RATE: 33.70%

TOTAL CLAIM: 691.96

TOTAL AMOUNTS 439.18

Referral charge for April 2003 20

09-May-03 35.03

Charges to 30/04/03 20

16-May-03 34.72

Interest to end April 2003 10.06

16-May-03 17.47

Referral charge for November 2003 60

08-Dec-04 44.14

Charges to 30/11/04 28

16-Dec-04 20.29

Interest to end November 04 15.61

16-Dec-04 11.31

Charges to 30/06/05 28

30-Jun-05 13.32

Interest to end June 2005 22.58

30-Jun-05 10.74

Referral charge for September 2005 90

10-Oct-05 32.45

Charges to 30/09/05 28

17-Oct-05 9.89

Interest to end September 2005 30.35

17-Oct-05 10.72

Referral charge for April 2006 30

09-May-06 4.51

Charges to 28/04/06 28

15-May-06 4.06

Interest to end April 2006 28.58

15-May-06 4.14

These are my charges using the 'Throughout claim with compound contractual interest" spreadsheet that Vampiress has on the google spreadsheets site. I've realised that the past six years have been nothing compared to the previous, so once this is sorted, I will be looking to claim back beyond that.

I'm sure this is nothing compared to other peep's but it's better in my (our) pocket (s) than theirs?!! :(

Hey Gordy2gb you a newbie too? got your own thread? :)

Please can someone who knows what they're doing with compound contractual interest have a look at these spreadsheet details - have I done it right?

:?:

Hi guys, sent in my preliminary request to RBS today. I've included the text here in case it helps. Oh and by the way i had to redo the spreadsheet as I'd got it all wrong. Never mind! I suppose we're all learning. :confused::p

The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc

Preston Fishergate

97 Fishergate

Preston

PR1 2DP

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxx SORT CODE: xxxxxx

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last six years.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations. If you say that they are not, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally, it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Your responsibilities

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.

Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £332 plus £38.62 which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £370.62. I also request that you refund me £213.46 in contractual interest, which I have calculated as of the date of this letter at your unauthorised overdraft rate of 33.70%. This brings my total to £548.08.

The account’s Terms and Conditions specify the interest payable on unauthorised drawings from the account. I believe that this applies to unauthorised drawings by yourselves as well as unauthorised drawings by me. I therefore believe that I am entitled to ask for this rate and further that it is justifiable under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your unauthorised overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account.

I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter.

My targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

By golly it felt good to stick the stamp on that!!!:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, sending off my LBA tomorrow recorded delivery. I've included the text here for interest - any comments?

I am very disappointed that you have failed to respond to my letter of the 10th November 2006. I now understand that the regime of charges which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate in the six years to 23 November 2006 that you have taken £390 plus £6.27 which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £396.27. I also request that you refund me £211.27 in contractual interest (see paragraph below), which I have calculated as of the date of this letter at your unauthorised overdraft rate of 33.70%. This brings my total to £607.53. I have included in this sum recent charges applied to my account since the date of my first letter.

The account’s Terms and Conditions specify the interest payable on unauthorised drawings from the account. I believe that this applies to unauthorised drawings by yourselves as well as unauthorised drawings by me. I therefore believe that I am entitled to ask for this rate and further that it is justifiable under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your unauthorised overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account.

I am enclosing a copy of the updated schedule of the charges which I am claiming.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice.

EE, it feels nice to be sending them threatening letters for a change!!!! LOL:D

Hi SR, Gl on ur case. I thought Id gate crash ur thread because Im right behind you & will be lookin in for tips.

Refferal charge....urgh. I coundnt even get a satisfactory of how or why they were implemented after being already charged for the initial excess. Was advised though that they would be applied roughly at the 9th of the month. I explained that they never give notice of their intent to slap on the double charge of referral fees. My responce was "If you are overdrawn make sure you have enough in the bank to cover it. I dont know exactly what triggers it but its your obligation to ensure you have money in your account."

Loansharks would be embarrased to explain away referral fees. The whole UK banking system is based on nothing short of theft

ur outrage is well justified:-x I'm spitting feathers at what they've taken off me and BF over the years. Where are you up to? My claims gone up from 548 to 610 in the two week since I sent in my preliminary request - all this interest adds up nicely y'know!:D

• 4 weeks later...

:eek: OHMIGOD I THINK I'VE WON. Sent LBA off 28 Nov and received a letter today from Nicholas Leiberman at RBS, Customer Relations Unit, Forthstone, etc. offering to refund me full amount of £607 to my account. This is without admission, and they are still apparently satisfied that their charges are fair blah blah blah.:rolleyes:

The letter also warns that should I be unwilling to accept future charges "we may need to consider if we are prepared to continue offering you the flexibility [lol] that you enjoy with your current banking facilities."

I'm going to write back accepting offer and restating my right to claim all future unlawful charges as well 'n see how they like that!! :D I'd like to remind them of any banking code articles they may be breaching if they attempt to close my account etc. - Anyone got a form of words I can use please???

MESSAGE TO ALL - IF I CAN DO IT, SO CAN YOU. Donation follows!

Bluddy 'ell!

Well done, matey - and unauthorised interest rate as well!

Write back and accept but say you reserve the right to pursue claims in the future if the bank insists on applying unlawful charges.

Or, alternatively, open an account with another bank and tell them to take a running jump.

What they're threatening you with is, in effect, an account with no overdraft facilities.

Great stuff, though - another hi-speed settlement, I'm delighted to see!

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Thanks NWTMM and JJ - wouldn't have even had the bottle to start without encouragement from peeps just like you. I'll write back just as you say - my parachute account is up 'n runnin' - hope RBS are starting to see sense on settling for all!!!

:) :) :)

Cheers Lively, the congratulations are much appreciated.

***Nice Smilies, but a bit risky***

Sorry Lively I had no idea. Should I take it off my internet toolbar to stop the kids using it?