10 year old council tax bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm sorry for posting what may be a long thread, thought I'd heard the last of this!

I got a letter today from the district council for where I lived 10 years ago saying I owe them £191.00 for council tax for 2002 - 2003. This isn't the first time I've heard about this as they wrote to myself and my partner in 2005 saying we owed around £1500 for unpaid council tax. I know we didn't owe them any money as I rang them in 2004 when we were moving out of our joint house and paid both accounts off, and they confirmed everything was clear - we paid around £1500 in one go.

We received several letters from the council and from Rossendales in 2005 (one of which actually stated we "had done a runner in 2004" and it had taken them more than a year to chase us up! After months, or probably more than a year of writing several letters and arguing with them, which included them saying they had received a payment of X amount but not another payment of Y amount, and then the following week, they had received Y amount but not X amount, and lots of other lies, I asked them in writing to provide proof that the debt was still outstanding (as advised by the CAB). We didn't receive any other correspondance from them after that (approximately 2007). We moved out of that house in 2010, so they had a futher 3 years to provide proof.

I am so annoyed that they have started to hassle me yet again. Can they really chase a 'debt' which they say is still unpaid after 10 years? I googled it earlier and apparently after 6 years they cannot ask for liability but as we all know the council always stick to the rules!

I'm nearly 6 months pregnant and I really don't need the extra stress, I'm now worried that they will start sending letters saying we still owe them £1500 or that I'll have bailiff's banging on my door demanding money I've already paid. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.