style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After serving my council with a Subject Access Request via recorded delivery royal mail in May, to which were attached copies of my current utility and council tax bills as proof of my identity. I have just received their response.

Their letter addresses me by my first name (I don’t know the letter writer) and say they have the files ready but want me to go and collect them in person. Not only that, they are demanding I supply them with a minimum of two identification items and insist one of these pieces of evidence bear my photograph.

Around six weeks ago, I received a surprise home visit from someone at the council to discuss an aspect of one my grievances against the council where this person soon established I have enormous difficulty walking (arthritis of the spine). I would assume the result of this visit is noted on my file.

As a fifty-year-old, I don’t have any photographic evidence of identity, I don’t drive or own a car, and no passport.

For almost 12 years, I have communicated with this council on various matters, including complaints, in written form, by telephone and in person, so there is a long history of their responding to me as the person who served them the SAR.

The fact that I haven’t changed my name or address and the council have only been too willing to serve me with court papers and council tax demands etc, at my address during this time surely should be more than enough proof that I haven’t suddenly changed identity?

Is their insistence for these additional proofs of identity even reasonable? In light of past and recent communications accepting me as the named person who served them the SAR as their response is addressed to me, at my home address.

Is their demand that I travel a fair distance to their main offices, which will cost me around £30 in fares to and from their offices (I will need a taxi and help to walk) reasonable?

Does anyone have any suggestions how I should deal with this latest tactic the council have sprung on me; I think they have realised I am looking for legal redress of a situation they have contributed towards through their negligence and disregard of their duties, but that’s another problem.

Thank you for your advice. :-)

My thoughts on this are that the Council are being pedantic if not pathetic. I would contact my Councillor(s) and even ask they pick it up for you. Do they explain the reasons why?

Thank you, Ploddertom, for your reply.

The only reason they give is, and I quote:

"In order to ensure this information is being provided to the correct person the Council would require you to bring..."

Surely the fact they address me by my first name on the letter, as if we are pals, and have sent it to my home address establishes their belief that they are dealing with the person requesting the data. It makes no sense to me and as a person who has very little money, living in extremely poor home conditions (damp, no heating, no hot water) life is miserable enough without having to deal with more misery.

Unfortunately, Councillors in my area are somewhat ‘slow’ to respond to cries of help, if they respond at all – personal experience.

Edited by Lucky11
Additonal info.