Fare evasion for using Freedom Pass

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have a hearing on this Thursday 2nd August for Fare Evasion using my Father's Freedom Pass to travel on London Undergrond.

I have tried to settle the matter out of court by writing to the TFL three times but they have rejected my appeal.

Kindly help me prepare a Letter of Mitigation for the court. Also I want to check if the court verifies the Statement of Income and Outgoings? I want to avoid writing my correct occupation if possible as I am scared to impact on my job. Please give me further information about this. Also will I definitely get a Criminal Record and will this show up on CRB check?

Please reply to the post as soon as possible as I have to send the paperwork to Court today.

Hi,

I have apologised in all my letters stating that I am shameful of the act and promise to not repeat the mistake again. I have also stated that it is my first mistake and to kindly treat me with a caution and settle the matter out of court. I have offered to pay maximum penalty of £1000 and also offered to carry out voluntary work. I have also mentioned that my Father is happy to give away his Freedom Pass and I will pay for his travel.

I have mentioned the impact on my job and my application for British Nationality. I have submitted copy of my existing visa as a proof that next step is British Nationality and a Conviction will delay my application for 5 more years.

I have stated that I work in Healthcare and have to submit CRB report every 6 months and a Criminal Record will cost me my job and prevent me from getting a new job.

The prosecution had rejected my appeal and asked me to send the paper work to the Court.

Kindly advice me regarding following:

1. Please help me prepare a Letter of Mitigation for the Court.

2. Is Statement of Means form verified by the Court with regards to the occupation title, income and expenses.

I don't want my employer to know and hence want to change to occupation title.

3. Will I get a Criminal Record and will it show up on CRB check?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kindly advice me regarding following:

1. Please help me prepare a Letter of Mitigation for the Court.

2. Is Statement of Means form verified by the Court with regards to the occupation title, income and expenses.

I don't want my employer to know and hence want to change to occupation title.

3. Will I get a Criminal Record and will it show up on CRB check?

Thanks in anticipation.

Using someone elses' Freedom Pass, which has their photograph on it and is completely different to all other Oysters cannot really be described as 'done by mistake'. The TOCs & TfL take fare evasion by this method very seriously because it is akin to steakling from the public purse.

This is why they will have rejected your offer to settle and proceeded to Court action

1. All that you can really do in a case like this is to apologise to the Court and rail company for your actions and undertake never to repeat the offence.

2. You only need give the basic information requested by the means form (MC100), but bear in mind that giving false information is an offence in it's own right. It will tell you this in print on the form itself. If you give all your details correctly in respect of income and outgioings, it will not matter if you don't give your employers' name and address, but if you then fail to declare a conviction where any employer requires such a declaration to be made, this could lead to repercussions for you personally at a later date..

3. Yes, if you have been charged with 'fare evasion' and are convicted, a record will be made.

Hi,

Kindly send me a link of templates for Letter of Mitigation. I cant find it in the threads. Kindly reply urgently as I have to post the letter tomorrow.

Regards

Edited by honda123

There aint no sech link. Each case and therefore piece of mitigation is different... there are sample letters that other CAGgers have written for their own ends scattered around the threads.Cannibalization is the order of the day.

Hi,

Kindly send me a link of templates for Letter of Mitigation. I cant find it in the threads. Kindly reply urgently as I have to post the letter tomorrow.

Regards

As Grotesque has said, there is no general 'fix all letter' for those who use other people's Freedom Passes in order to avoid fares.

YOU have to apologise and give YOUR reasons for doing this, every case is treated on merit by the Magistrates and only YOU can really know what the situation was.

There isn't a magic formula once these matters get to Court, but the key thing is 'keep it simple'. In my experience, once the writer starts to build an overcomplicated 'defence' for an offence that is so clear cut, they are are likely to lose any sympathy that might have been evident.

Edited by Old-CodJA

Hello again.

I think I'm right in saying that the advice here in the past has been that if you attend and make a good impression, it may alleviate the penalty.

There's a forum sticky about attending court if you haven't read it. Old-CodJA wrote it to give people an idea of what to expect.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Please advice me if I attend the court in person will it be better or will it be same as pleading guilty by post? I am scared to attend the court room.

Yes, I believe that Honeybee13's suggestion is spot-on.

In my experience the person who attends Court and apologises in person always sets a good impression for the Magistrates and will normally attract the maximum credit.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a legal representative to present my case. He is Barrister. His number is [edited]. If anyone is in trouble contact him before dealing with the matter on your own.

Edited by honeybee13
Removing phone number.

• 6 years later...