• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

This is how RBS deal with RPA (Wonga etc) Confirmed by Stephen Hesters office

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A response received this afternoon after a complaint that, despite written request, and despite the law of the land, RBS refused to stop one of these RPA's. This has come from Stephen Hester's executive suite whatever that is.

"For Wonga to be able to reclaim re-occuring transactions they must have authority from you as their customer to debit your card account. You must have therefore provided Wonga with the necessary information to do this. Therefore, the situation is that the bank cannot stop these payments, and in most cases, regular payments can be stopped by the customer telling the company taking the payments. Therefore you will need to contact Wonga directly in order to cancel the payments. If you owe them money, they will claim from your account, and if you do not owe them money, they will not. Please be aware that you will still be responsible for any money you owe Wonga".

What next then chaps? And should I be letting other people see this, like Martin Lewis etc?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they are clearly wrong.

I don't suppose you sent them this did you?

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/consumerinformation/product_news/banking/know_your_rights/payments

Sounds like you may have a case against the bank if they did not honour your demand to cancel the CPA.

Others will no doubt be along with their thoughts.

• Haha 1

I'd be inclined to escalate it above one of the drones, they have very limited [if any] competency.

Try the group secretariat office, copy the response you received and tell them you are prepared to offer them the opportunity to correct the misleading data. Generally pretty good at correcting mistakes, it is after all their n*ts on the line with the FSA if they get it wrong :-)

Aileen Taylor 07748******

Currently on maternitylink3.gif leave, returns November...... in her absence

Jan Cargill on all Board and Corporate Governance matters, Gary Stewart on all RBS Secretariat matters:

Jan Cargill - 0131 626 3860 ([email protected])

Gary Stewart - 0131 626 3957 ([email protected])

07826 91******

• Haha 1

ims21, yes we have right from day one when all this kicked off. Have another letter telling us that actually Visa rules are higher than the law of the land.

Mikehawk, thank you very much for that, I'm going to escalate it tomorrow morning, will post back to let you know how we get on.

Its not just about this Wonga thing either, when dealing with the complaint they replied several times, and apparently sent gifts, to the wrong address. So, whereas my nephew hoped he could actually restore his bank account to safe use by resolving this matter, they have compromised his account further by giving all his details to the neighbours (who happen to be the alcoholics from hell). They don't seem to see the wrong in this however.

If you can show evidence that they have allowed transactions after the removal of your nephews authority you can of course demand the return of funds and any interest/charges applied to the account in respect of same.

Where that leaves the relationship between him and Wonga is a matter for your nephew [as party to contract], not the bank

When you escalate the issue, you should also include details of any apparent breaches of the DPA.

Assuming Gary acts correctly and confirms in writing the true status of CPA's, it would be helpful to others if you could post a copy of his correspondence [less identifiers]

Well, this afternoon I shall sit down and do just that. And then I'll post up the reply. We have proof of everything. If this guy comes back with the same old hoohah, then I guess its County Court time. I see that several of the banks on here now understand the law, so to help him I'll point out to him which banks those are.

Right now, I seem to have a collection of files in my bookcase, all little legal gripes, none of them are for me (thats a good thing I suppose) and my poor heads in a whirl. Out of all of them though, this one I am going to enjoy as I can see we are clearly in the right without a doubt.

Thanks for the input, and I'll keep everyone posted.

Well, this afternoon I shall sit down and do just that. And then I'll post up the reply. We have proof of everything. If this guy comes back with the same old hoohah, then I guess its County Court time. I see that several of the banks on here now understand the law, so to help him I'll point out to him which banks those are.

Right now, I seem to have a collection of files in my bookcase, all little legal gripes, none of them are for me (thats a good thing I suppose) and my poor heads in a whirl. Out of all of them though, this one I am going to enjoy as I can see we are clearly in the right without a doubt.

Thanks for the input, and I'll keep everyone posted.

I know it's difficult but try to temper the tone of your e-mail, you stand a greater chance of a reasoned and sensible response if you do. Tbh, I've found him to be a fairly affable chap who seems to respond well to polite questioning and good manners [guess his mum brought him up well, lol]. Plus, I need to have a chat with him tomorrow if you could try keep him in a good mood for another day or so :-)

Oh I agree its ever so difficult, especially with e-mail etc. I read some of my posts on here and i shudder when i realise I've slipped a bit of local dialogue in! But with this sort of thing I generally keep to the point. LOL - I spent 26 years as a social housing officer, and oh was it hard when writing letters......so much easier to bang on the door and let them have both barrels, generally solved the problem as well!

Anyway I can see this ending up in court, so I know it has to be by the book.

Thanks ever so for your help, just getting cracking on it now.

Pretty galling when you think about it..... not a scooby how long they've been on the sites, came across them a while back when I was looking for something else.

When/if Gary replies he will be responding from board level, he's been seconded to Aileens group sec role in her absence...... can't imagine he's taken on quite the same personal liability that goes with the job though :-)

You can find Aileen on the following Reuters link, should give you an indication of how far up you've just escalated your complaint

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/companyOfficers?symbol=RBS.L&WTmodLOC=C4-Officers-5

Phil

Lol....... didn't want to put you off before you sent it :-)

He's a personable fella, would think you'll get a polite response. Posted a couple of my e-mail exchanges with him on another thread if only to show others that RBS will enter into correspondence

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?355228-Nat-West-Customer-problems-after-their-recent-failures&p=3918728#post3918728

Phil

Oh for goodness sake: From Stephen hesters office again

"However I would like to clarify that Wonga claim that the payments are not actually recurring transactions and that is why the Bank is unable to stop the payments to Wonga. Therefore the Banks stance remains that you would need to contact Wonga to stop the payments. If you owe them money they will claim from your account and if you don't they will not."

This is after I replied to their first stupid reply pointing out the advice on their own website. (I am still waiting for the other guy to come back from holiday). So, now they admit that they could stop these payments if they were RPA's - however, Wonga say they are not so therefore they cannot possibly be and must be paid! Anyway FOS have just informed her that they are investigating, so she cannot now help any further.

So, I will see what happens next, but I keep wavering towards MCOL. Patience.

Do you think they let these people tie their own laces.

You have to look at the logic of its response, not a recurring authority ergo a single payment authority, ergo no authority.

Another Natwest/RBS group one here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?359900-CFO-drained-my-Natwest-account-Unauthorised-Debit-Card-Transactions-***Resolved***&p=3930997#post3930997

The bank here are acting as a third party in favour of a non-depositing client, and that is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

BTW don't forget to report this to the OFT, Wonga are under a sanction from them for being naughty and this might just make the OFT want to think again.

I still haven't heard back from this guy yet Mike, but then he's only been back 2 days! Nephew has had confirmation that FoS have called for his files from RBS, got a caseworker name and everything. I sent an e-mail back to Stephen Hesters office. Expressing our disappointment at their "investigation skills". Not rude, but I think it might be called "ascerbic" - is that the word I want for one of my "not so pleased e-mails"?! LOL (Well I can laugh can't I - its not my money!)

I will take this to court for the nephew if I have to, but I suppose we shall have to wait for the FoS to finish their bit, and that might well resolve it.

I'll post up as each thing happens.

Oh I forgot to say, this has irritated me so much that I have decided I was incredibly distressed and ashamed in Tesco's last month when my card was declined due to their massive computer glitch. They can give me a "GoGW" payment if they like.

Right, had an e-mail from our caseworker at FoS, seems very nice, explained the process fully again (had letter also). E-mailed him back to ask him if he would like me to make up a bundle of all the correspondence we have, and yes he wants us to do that. So that will go off in the post to him tomorrow.

Lets see what happens.

Thanks sillygirl. Quick update. Just taken a telephone call from a very nice gentleman from the executive office. He has agreed to refund the £180 and restore the account to how it was before this happened, take off any charges. Before he starts his investigation tomorrow morning. I have a direct telephone number for him, and I believe this may well now be resolved. I'm going to send him a package of all the correspondence that has been toing and froing so everyone knows where they stand and who said what etc.

I want to do my bit to ensure its not just us for whom it is resolved, so we shall be asking that it is put in writing to us that RBS now understand the law and these bloody RPA's. This guy himself says he is unsure of the situation but will now go and find out what has been going on.

Will keep you posted.