• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PCSO issues 350+ Suspect PCNs for Cycling on Pavement

speedfreek
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/pcso-given-bravery-award-jailed-for-handing-out-hundreds-of-false-penalty-notices-7952414.html

An award-winning police community support officer has been jailed for six months for issuing hundred of false fixed penalty notices.

But the Westminster-based PCSO was so desperate for success that he started inventing bogus notices, usually for cycling on the pavement.

More in article!

Not sure if this is right place for this feel free to move :D

Heh i've actually ridden past a few pcso's when theyve tried to stop me. Bit naughty of me, but its pretty much impossible for them to stop you.

I mean, theres no chance in hell that they'll get me riding on the main roads in north east wales.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 4 weeks later...
Heh i've actually ridden past a few pcso's when theyve tried to stop me. Bit naughty of me, but its pretty much impossible for them to stop you.

I mean, theres no chance in hell that they'll get me riding on the main roads in north east wales.

Please don't cycle on pavements - think of pedestrians!!!

Edited by Andrew-P

The law in this case is subjective. Especially in the area where i am, since its covered by by-laws.

They say not to cycle on the pavement, yet the road it goes along side is one of the busiest in the area and has had dozens of Cases of cyclists being knocked down, and around 6 cases of either a cyclist or pedestrian being killed. And thats in the last ten years.

The general consensus of the people in my village, and the 3 neighbouring ones is that all cyclists are to use the pavement until:

a) the council get strict traffic control measures introduced

or

b) they implement a dedicated cycle lane either on the road or on the 10 foot grass verge that goes alongside the pavement.

We've already been on to the council and the local police about it. People have been riding it for around 4-5 years now, and the REAL police just drive by without a passing glance. It's the PCSO's that are the ones who think they have something to prove.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

The law in this case is subjective. Especially in the area where i am, since its covered by by-laws.

They say not to cycle on the pavement, yet the road it goes along side is one of the busiest in the area and has had dozens of Cases of cyclists being knocked down, and around 6 cases of either a cyclist or pedestrian being killed. And thats in the last ten years.

The general consensus of the people in my village, and the 3 neighbouring ones is that all cyclists are to use the pavement until:

a) the council get strict traffic control measures introduced

or

b) they implement a dedicated cycle lane either on the road or on the 10 foot grass verge that goes alongside the pavement.

We've already been on to the council and the local police about it. People have been riding it for around 4-5 years now, and the REAL police just drive by without a passing glance. It's the PCSO's that are the ones who think they have something to prove.

There is a lot of sense in what you say but your first post seemed a bit glib - especially as someone who is sick of being hounded by cyclists on pavements / going through red lights / crossings etc as a pedestrian.

It is a miniority but a sizeable one.

As a driver I have seen both sides of the coin - cyclists being given no space or not seen and cyclists who think their plastic helmet makes them invulnerable aginst 2 ton of car!

Cycle lanes are an interesting issue and many of the existing ones are not fit for purpose (a bit of paint is not a proper cycle lane) but proper ones are expensive and in dififcult economic times funding is likely to go elsewhere.

For the avoidance of doubt - the PCSO referred to was totally wrong.

Thats the thing about me, it takes afew posts to explain fully :P/

As for the cyclist on the road, the law actually states that they have as much right on the road as the car. For instance, cyclists can ride side by side. It infuriates bad drivers, who for some reason do not realise its the same thing as having another car in front of them. Unfortunately a LOT of drivers, mainly the ones that took driving lessons and tests 10+ years ago, think the cyclists dont have those rights.

As for the cyclist on the road, the law actually states that they have as much right on the road as the car. For instance, cyclists can ride side by side. It infuriates bad drivers, who for some reason do not realise its the same thing as having another car in front of them. Unfortunately a LOT of drivers, mainly the ones that took driving lessons and tests 10+ years ago, think the cyclists dont have those rights.

Totally agree - and cars are getting bigger meaning roads are ever more crowded

Apart from the fact that they will very likely be travelling at half the speed of a car which in turn will cause an un-necessary tail back. I think you will find that it states in the highway code; 'should not ride side by side on busy or narrow roads'. And yes, I do know that some of the the highway code 'rules' are not mandatory although this should surely be common sense.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

yes they are common sense. However, you and others seem to blame the cyclists. Forgetting that it is the car drivers fault that they are speeding, losing control of the car, not stopping at the pedestrian crossing, or when overtaking a cyclist they barely give them an inch of room, let alone the metre they are meant to give.

yes they are common sense. However, you and others seem to blame the cyclists. Forgetting that it is the car drivers fault that they are speeding, losing control of the car, not stopping at the pedestrian crossing, or when overtaking a cyclist they barely give them an inch of room, let alone the metre they are meant to give.

Where have I said that I blame the cyclists?

In any event there is a lot of cyclists who regularly flout all the laws under the sun where I live and in some circumstances put themselves in real danger. For example, I frequent a bar on the seafront where I live which is opposite a bus station where buses have to reverse out of their respective stands. Every time I am there, I regularly see cyclist of all ages ride through the exit lane to the bus station the wrong way which is just wide enough for a bus to pass through and has railings on either side to prevent pedestrians straying into the path of an exiting bus. They do this to save themselves an extra 50 yards of peddling which would take them on the legitimate route around the bus station. There are no 'no entry signs' because the exit lane filters out on to a dual carriageway so obviously they break the law before reaching the bus station in any case. It also happens at night (when hardly any cyclists seem to have lights on these days) so its only a matter of time before a cyclist will meet a bus head on with no where to go to avoid it.

Yesterday there were 2 kids riding around in the bus station for the hell of it and doing wheelies while buses were reversing just a few feet away! Pure and utter madness in my opinion.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

My apologies. I misread your post. Too much work and not enough time to read properly :/

My apologies. I misread your post. Too much work and not enough time to read properly :/

No problem.

Please Note

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

highway code mentioned above, gov't info, interesting. law says at night 'must' have rear reflector and pedals with amber reflectors, 'must not' cycle on pavements, flashing lights permitted, etc

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

i cycle. had thought flashing lights weren't generally allowed (but have been using them)

I live in Cambridge where there are loads of designated cycle routes which is wonderful... But... These routes are poorly lit resulting in attempted muggings, assaults etc so it's understandable that they don't seem to be used. On the roads, cyclists here seem to blow red lights, go opposite traffic or filter through like a motorcycle when there's a perfectly good bus/cycle lane to the nearside of the road etc...

The worst is on some of the more rural 60mph stretches where there's no street lighting where they'll merrily ride along with no lights on in black coats and dark jeans. This infuriates me immensely as when I barely miss hitting them from behind, they seem to get very shirty.

On the same side of the coin, where I used to live there was a case where an old girl of around 80 odd was knocked down by some chav on a BMX who didn't stop. She ended up in a home and he was never found. She was walking through a passageway along side Sainsburys.

Pros and cons. I think there should be more on cycle safety. Us motorists have to watch gory videos when we're caught speeding... How about a few vids of cyclists going over peoples bonnets and a £100 fine for those that blow red lights and travel with incorrect lighting on?