style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due to mis - management, both by myself and the County Council I have been left with some arrears of council tax. I've been summoned to my local magistrates court to explain/pay etc on 24/7. However, I'm not in the country then. Are councils lenient on cancelling appearances or would they expect me to return from holiday?

These Magistrates' court, council tax liability order hearings are not court hearings as you'd expect. They are just formalities (batches of several 100) which the council are legally required to go through to obtain liability orders, which in turn allows it to enforce payment through bailiffs, attachment of earnings, bankruptcy etc. etc.

This procedure is a necessary inconvenience for the council and Magistrates' court, which does however, have a beneficial by-product in that the profits made by both Magistrates' court and council are scandalously high.

You are not obliged to attend if you simply accept liability. In which case they will charge you court fees and automatically grant the council a liability order, something which would more than likely happen anyway, even if you stated your defence in court. A sham basically.

The first couple of posts here describes what happens:

An Afternoon at Grimsby Magistrates' Court

Edited by outlawla