Bailiffs threatened, son's Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need advice please. My son has not lived with me since 2005 but has lived in a series of shared houses. He is currently away travelling in S America until some time in August and his mail is being re-directed to me, which I am opening and emailing him about as necessary. This week a Council Tax demand arrived, not redirected though, but addressed here, from Brighton Council. (I live in Worthing and am under their Council - my C Tax is up to date.) It seems that he is now being pursued for outstanding Council Tax due 2007-2010 for 2 addresses he lived at. Other tenants are also on the bills but I know they have all moved on, mostly back to their home countries. The third address he is solely liable for as he lived alone, which is fine. The next day I opened another letter, from Ibis Services, bailiffs, stating that Liability Orders had been granted for the tax for the 2 shared houses, totalling £1355.19 which unless paid within 7 days would result in the matter being passed to the bailiffs to enforce. I immediately phoned the number given and explained the situation - that my son does not live with me, this is only his postal address at present. I said I would inform him of the demands. I understand about joint and several liability. A hold was then put on bailiff action for four weeks and 3 days - to 15th August. By that date he has to make an arrangement to pay or this will be passed to the bailiffs. Surely they cannot do this? I have nothing to do with my son's Council Tax - he is 33 yrs old! His possessions are in storage. I feel very threatened and frightened by this hanging over me. If I had not opened his mail the first I would have known of this would have been the arrival of the bailiffs! Please help.

You need to get evidence that the LO's actually exist. Which bailiff is it that contacted you?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Bailiffs cant force entry to a property and they can only levy goods belonging to the debtor having said that its not unusual for bailiffs to levy/clamp cars on the drive of the address they are sent to without first checking who the car belongs to

for Peace of mind it would do you no harm to get a statutory declaration done (costs £5/10) keep the original and send a copy(recorded delivery) to the local authority's that are chasing him

Since it is the council, I would have thought they do exist but since I am not one of the people on the bills I doubt they would send me any info on it. However this would also point up the fact that this has nothing to do with me! The bailiff is Ibis Services which is the enforcement section of the council. Many thanks for your reply.

I know they didnt used to be able to force entry but I thought I had read somewhere that they could now? That is what is scaring me. We dont have a drive and I have neighbours in the flat upstairs. Cars are parked on the street. I hope they wouldnt touch those. I will look up what a statutory declaration is and do it. Thank you for the suggestion. I do feel more confident. I will also check on what powers they have just so I am certain. Many thanks for your reply. : )

I know they didn't used to be able to force entry but I thought I had read somewhere that they could now?

no they still cant force entry they can only enter by peaceful means

through an unlocked door (which mean they can open your door and walk in )

open window or by invitation