10 year old council tax bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm a new user and not familiar with how this all works so I'll apologise ahead in case I make any glaring howlers either in protocol

(ha, can't actually believe I've used that word!!) or even with my spelling.

my problem is this:

I've recently received a bailiffs demand for council tax arrears

when I called them, relate to arrears over 10 years old from a previous address.

So far as we were concerned there were no arrears and this is the first we've ever heard of them.

Have contacted the council concerned who can't find any trace.

The bailiffs in question have "agreed" to postpone any further action for a period of 21 days while we look into this matter.

The council have given me a number to call which is their "corporate debt helpline" who they said may have a record of this so called debt.

At the moment we're in sever financial straits and are under a debt management plan with CCCS

which is almost crippling us to keep up with partly because my wife's income changes from week to week (shes a career, agency worker).

And while we're trying to sort all this out the sudden appearance of this arrears bill is, as you might imagine, unwelcome to say the least.

I've looked at some of the threads (is that the right word/expression?)

but am totally confused so if anybody out there could give me some pointers that doesn't involve numbered paragraphs,

arcane points of law of intimidating blocks of Latin it would be much appreciated.

Apologies if i come across as flippant by the way,

but it's either that or embark on a mass killing spree involving a machete and a chainsaw.

However, since I couldn't afford either it would probably be a somewhat bloodless killing spree more likely involving a cucumber and a borrowed copy of last nights metro.

Yes, I know - I need help!!!

Hi Fred

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Hi If the coincil has no knowledge of this who has instructed the bailiffs?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi

The council instructed the bailiff. Sorry,

when I say they have no knowledge that was what the lady in their call centre said.

she explained that often old cases are transferred off their system onto another which was probably why she gave me the number for corporate debt.

She explained that recently, they've had a load of these cases.

Probably the council scrabbling to recover as much money as possible.

I mean, come on they have to get the money from somewhere to pay their chief execs their measly £100,000 plus salaries.

just a little bit miffed with them as you can probably tell.

just remember that old ctax bill are NOT a priority bill.

did you ask the council if they hve an LO's against you?

something smells here

who were the bailiffs?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

The bailiff is Marston and the letter we have says

FINAL NOTICE Execution of Liability Order Imminent.

What confused the issue is that

we were dealing with another bailiff company (which we were unaware of until they knocked) over this years council tax.

We'd fallen into arrears but brought the payments up to date by paying the council direct, so that's sorted now.

In the meantime we received this letter from Marston and we're thinking,

"what the hell is going on here? 10 years and we're only just finding out now!!!"

Before this current financial trouble we're having now we always paid everything.

Now, however, we're in quite a bit of debt although nothing huge considering the problems others are having.

But like I said earlier, this is just one more thing we could really do without and you can't help thinking that this is not only deliberate but cynical on the council's behalf.

After all, how many people keep records dating back 10 years?

Feels like a ploy to unfairly extract money from someone in the full knowledge that we're unlikely to have such records.

Going to ask the CCCS on Monday for their advice, but to say its put a downer on my weekend is something of an understatement to say the least.

you need to check about this LO and WHEN it was taken out

if not VERY recently then "Execution of Liability Order" is spoofing, there is as such no such thing.

phone the council concerned 1st thing monday and ask:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Thanks a lot.

Going to get in touch with them first thing Monday.

Have heard that bailiffs etc often use misleading, half truths but was naive enough to think there would be some sort of regulation preventing them from doing so.

When I spoke to the council earlier today I mentioned that I wasn't even sure chasing a debt of 10 years old was even legal.

Obviously, as a council employee she immediately replied that yes it was and was happening all the time.

Not sure i believe that one.

My problem is how after 10 years can i possibly prove that we don't owe this money.

Furthermore, what's to stop them (or anybody else for that matter) from crawling out the woodwork in another decade or so and pulling the same stunt all over again!!!

CTAX debts sadly cannot become SB'ed

dx

and they