Council Damage Appliance then Deny Responsibility

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My parents recently had their Council house renovated by the Council. They made a complete mess of their home which they have spent years and lots of their own hard earned money improving.

They are Pensioners and have retired.

Basically, during the renovations, their fridge had to be moved several times by workmen, which, in doing so caused damage to it. They were left without a Fridge for the best part of two weeks and had to fork out £300 for a new one.

Albeit their old Fridge was some years old, but it was in excellent working order and was clearly damaged by the workmen moving it.

Have submitted a complaint but the Council point out that they will not be paying up as they sent a letter out prior to work being carried out saying that they would not be held responsible for any damage. This I think is a complete farce and insult. They are clearly liable for the damage.

Anyway, just wondering what is the best steps to take to reclaim cost for a new Fridge and the inconvenience caused by my parents not having a Fridge for 2 weeks.

Personally I think the Council are complete and utter **** for doing this and my Parents are willing to take this all the way through to small claims court and the local media as this is totally unacceptable.

The bit that got me was the fact they say they are not liable as they said so in the letter they couldn't be held liable for any damage.

Next we are going to have burglars write letters to their prospective victims saying that they won't be held responsible for breaking in and damaging their homes. See where I am coming from, just aint right!

Edited by scottybhoy
poor grammer!