UK Government to introduce anti-trolling laws.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The government has today said they are to introduce anti-trolling laws.

The proposed plans will make it easier for the victims of internet trolls to bring actions against either the ISP or the site owner where the comments were posted, or if the ISP or site owner discloses details of the troll the liability shifts from the site owner to the troll themselves.

The source of this is all over Sky News this morning :- http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16245551

To be honest its about time after being the victim of a troll myself, and if the law was changed I would almost certainly pursue a troll through the courts.

Edited by nicolee2931

I think this item should be made a sticky somewhere as a notice to anyone thinking they can abuse someone online. The law is already starting to shift as recently action was taken against a troll who mocked Bolton footballer Fabrice Muamba on Twitter after he collapsed with a heart attack.

I was reading that, and im waiting to see their definition of a troll. Many, MANY people define others as "trolls" simply because they disagree with what was being said, or someone called another person a name in frustration.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I was reading that, and im waiting to see their definition of a troll. Many, MANY people define others as "trolls" simply because they disagree with what was being said, or someone called another person a name in frustration.

I think the reports have made it pretty clear how they define a troll - someone who follows another person around the internet, leaving malicious comments on FB pages and twitter.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ahh. So theyre dealing with extreme cases. I just wonder if they will make the law even stricter, as if you frequent multiple forums, youw ill see many definitons of trolling/harassment.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Ahh. So theyre dealing with extreme cases. I just wonder if they will make the law even stricter, as if you frequent multiple forums, youw ill see many definitons of trolling/harassment.

It will always be easy to catch the idiots, and the new law will make it easier. Anyone aware of the law and using a nom-de-plume/non identiable picture could access via TOR/proxies and circumvent detection.

There was a recent facebook group based in Glasgow called 'Welcome to Israel, only kidding, you're in Giffnock' (a wealthy suburb in Greater Glasgow with a higher than average jewish population).

Despite the joke theme, many posts became anti semitic and a jewish organisation called in the police.

'After a challenging investigation 7 arrests have been made', was the press release from the boys in blue. It must have required great detective work with names, pictures, and locale of the offenders being left at the 'crime scene' (before even asking an IP).

At the other end of the scale - I lost my FB account as one running a group against corruption hiding child abuse in Litva. The group was a protest against the Drasius Kedys case (nice summary on wikipedia), everthing I did was made untracable given the number of deaths related to the case was nearing double figures.

Then my account went along with that of another who ran the group. So it was posting news related links that generated sufficient complaints to kill the accounts.

Would the UK's new laws pass on these IPs too?

Lets just hope the UK law is stronger than the US law that Bush signed into being during his presidency. The US version of the "trolling law" is all but forgotten now.

• 3 years later...

Having been around forums since Gopher, BBS and NNTP start days the use in these proposed 'laws' is a misuse.

What they are describing seems to me to be harassment or threatening behavior not trolling.

Trolling:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children