Local Council Keeps Family in Temporary Accommodation for 4 Years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4204 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

One of my neighbours has a bit of an issue with the Housing Office at our local council. I do not rent from the council, I own my home and the home she is renting from the council is privately owned, the rent bill is £156.00 per week!

I was wondering if anyone knows a bit about this so I can offer her some advice.

The main problem is that she has been in this temporary house for 4 years. She is married with 2 little boys and has been applying for permanent accommodation on a weekly basis for the last 4 years. Her and her family cannot settle, they aren't even allowed to decorate the house or alter the garden at all. Everyone I have ever known in temp accommodation, has been rehoused into permanent in less than 2 years.

Is there anything they can do? They visited the council offices recently and was told that her husband was dead when he was standing right in front of them. When they sorted out the mix up, they gave him a new name. They are so incompetent its unbelievable.

Any ideas?

• 4 months later...

Seek advice immediately and commence a formal complaint with regards to the mix up and her husband. That is totally unacceptable and quite stressful to deal with. All councils should have a complaints procedure detailed on their website (there is usually 4/4 stages). If they do not resolve the issue take it to the Local Governtment Ombudsman. Their website can twll you a bit about some of the outcomes they can produce.

I am currently in temporary housing, as as council housing stock is scarce as far as I am aware there is no maximum restrictions on the amount of time the council can keep families in council housing as long as it remains 'suitable' for the family, the law allows them to do this.

What is their prority? Do they have housing bands or points at the council? Are they on the correct band? Do they know how long their council wiaitng tile is and how many people are on the list? You'd be suprised at what you can find out by making a request under the Freedom of Information act.

Other places to get advice are CAB, shelter (you can get email advice on ther website), legal aid (if on a low income) and other local organisations/charities.

Temporary Accommodation rents via private sector leased are typically high as they cover managemtns cost to Estate Agents and risk associated with council tenants (they sometimes make profit out of these high rents, as they cross charge to central governments and get the money back). Are they entitled to any Housing Benefit to help with the rent? If it is not affordable they may request a review.