style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This morning I had a card posted from A bailiff for council tax arrears from last year. I am wondering if the wording on this can be construed as threats.

Before I write the content of the card, I have never let a bailiff into my home and have started to pay the debt off using the councils online facility.

BAILIFF ENFORCEMENT NOTICE

I have called at your premises today to remove your goods for sale at public auction to pay towards your debt of (amount) which is owed to Kingston Upon Hull City council because of unpaid Council Tax.

You MUST contact me on either of the above telephone numbers no later than 6/6/12 to arrange a time for us to remove your goods if you do not contact me by that date we will call again without further notice to remove goods.

If you wish to pay the debt rather than have your goods seized and sold by public auction, you must pay the outstanding balance, in full, to Kingston upon Hull City Council.

I am asking because I am under the impression that a bailiff can not come into my home unless they have been in before. So why are they saying I must arrange a time to let them in. Is this legal .

Thanks for any help

I wouldn't class that as a threat. They are assuming that you want to clear the debt and obviously the sloppy council haven't informed them that you are at present making payments.

Give the bailiff a ring or better still email and tell him what you are doing.

Are the payments with the council an agreed amount you have come to an arrangement with them for?

I couldn't get any joy from the council or the bailiffs. They would not accept an amount I could afford, so I just started paying an amount I could afford each week.

I couldn't get any joy from the council or the bailiffs. They would not accept an amount I could afford, so I just started paying an amount I could afford each week.

That's the way to do it. You may have to pay lawful Bailiff fees, but as long as you prevent them gaining access to your home or otherwise making a levy on goods outside - most notably a car - then these can be capped at £42-50 in total.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You have done the right thing. Now write to the bailiff and tell them that you are paying the council direct.

As long as you can maintain, without any breaks, the present CT and reduce the arrears as well, you should be fine.

If the bailiff should call again, just don't respond to him.