• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Safeloans not accepting DMP offer

Oh ffs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's been a while since I've posted on here, mainly because my debt situation is now under control.

Back in March I decided enough was enough and I was fed up trying with the constant communication I was having with creditors in order to manage my debts and repay them. So the good news is I bit the bullet, contacted CCCS and got myself on a DMP.

The bad news...Safeloans are not accepting the offer of repayment and instead have sent both myself and the CCCS two repayment proposals and their intention to follow this up with court action to 'protect their interest in this debt'. One proposal for repayments has reduced the amount I owe from around £350 to circa £240.

Prior to this I have had emails from Safeloans suggesting that they would refuse to deal with my 'fee charging Debt Management company' and that these often incorrectly inform their clients that payments cannot be made outside of a DMP which is not true etc.

As the CCCS have sent them my I&E and list of creditors it is clear that none are getting preferential treatment over the other and that the surplus is going to the CCCS i.e. I don't have any additional money to pay to anyone.

My questions:

Clearly Safeloans are trying to use this tactic to get me to pay more than I can afford. It is also clear they are using the threat of a CCJ to gain preferential treatment over other creditors. Should I report this to the OFT?

Should this go to Court would the judge take a dim view of the above tactics and will it cause them more bother? I have a sneaky suspicion that Safeloans won't be able to provide me with an itemised breakdown of my account and therefore I will defend a claim (if it happens) just to be a pain in the bum. But can I factor the scare tactics into a defence too?

Essentially I just want to be the pain in their backside rather than the other way round from now on.

Also, out of interest, is there any other 'benefit' for SL to take up this course of action, other than to bully someone into paying more than they can afford?

An update:

I have made it clear that I cannot afford to pay them anything on a monthly basis in addition to what I'm paying through the DMP. I made them an offer in full and final settlement which I've clearly stated is due to a relative gifting me the money for this sole purpose. I've since had numerous emails which state they are going to make a claim and listing the costs of which I will suffer if the claim is successful. A lot of scaremongering about attachment of earnings etc. as well.

I noted their letter earlier this month stated they would cancel all default charges and interest if I paid them over 3 months i.e. I pay the principal borrowed + £45 admin fee. I have since recalculated this as the figure seemed to high, indeed I worked it out to be a lot less (less than the amount I offered as a lump sum in full & final settlement) so I queried this. Turns out the wording on their offer was wrong and they meant unpaid interest and charges. I worked their offer would only save me £24 compared to the original loan contract (if I hadn't had defaulted and no additional charges were applied).

I've obviously requested a full itemised breakdown of account/statement and I'm still waiting on this. I've also questioned why they need to take me to court when a) I am willing to pay the debt, albeit at a reduced rate through the DMP b) I have stuck to the DMP thus far and not missed a payment.

I've kept everything in writing so I have solid evidence, can hopefully give you all a log of this and the actual correspondence over the weekend.

To me, it is clear Safeloans are using or threatening to use the court process to gain preferential treatment over other creditors. Does this fall foul of OFT guidelines? Also, should I be so lucky to receive claim forms I will be defending in some shape or form so I may call on some help in the near future (it would be very appreciated).

SHould ask them a simple question.

Such as, " Safeloans, do you realise that if you try and persue it through the courts, and i bring in solid proof that i have repeatedly tried to arrange a repayment plan due to my financial circumstances, and you have blatantly ignored it, plus you are trying to prioritise yourself over other, much higher priority creditors, that a court would side with me and you would most likely end up with £1 a month, probably a lot less, until my high priority creditors are paid off."

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Here's an extract from one of my emails, I will post the whole chain of events here when I am not at work:

Given my financial situation my offer was therefore over and above reasonable and would have avoided any action through the claim court. I still can't quite understand the rationale for involving the court based on:
  1. The fact I have entered into a Debt Management Plan which is a clear indication of my willingness to repay any debts I owe to other parties.
  2. It is quite clear in the documentation provided to you as part of the Debt Management Plan that I am in financial hardship. It is also clear that my creditors are receiving the whole amount of surplus after living expenses (distributed on a fair and pro-rated basis as calculated by the Consumer Credit Counselling Service who administer the Debt Management Plan). I simply don't have any further surplus per month to pay you at an accelerated rate compared to my other creditors.
  3. The claim process is only going to add to my burden of debt should your claim be successful, due to court fees and further costs which will pass to me in the event a County Court Judgement is lodged.
  4. Should your claim be successful I will only be able to afford the same monthly repayment as that in the Debt Management Plan, else I would jeopardise the Debt Management Plan altogether.
  5. Indeed, I would look to incorporate the CCJ (if your claim is successful) into the Debt Management Plan so that an attachment of earnings order would not be necessary.
  6. Given the fact that I have proactively contacted you on numerous occasions and made you aware of my situation it is regretful that whilst I am willing to and am paying you what I can afford, you still believe that going the route of the claims court is the best course of action.

There was plenty more in this email. I have basically written the chain of transactions on my account (that I'm aware of) and have itemised this in a logical order. I have produced a apreadsheet shedule to make it very clear.

My thinking was should it go to Court this will make things very clear for the judge. I'm only just getting started because I can't quantify exactly what charges have been added to my account until I get a breakdown. I've reiterated in my last 3 emails that I need this breakdown and I haven't had it yet.

I dont think Safeloans have realised that they have disregarded OFT guidance regulations, and think they are right in what they are doing. I dont think the courts would look down on them well either, when they see that the PDL is trying to use the courts as a first means of debt collection, especially when you have shown that you cannot meet their repayments and have provided proof to that effect.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

IF (big IF) it ever went to court - the judge would think you have shown responsibility for your situation by entering into a DMP with a recognised debt advisory service and Safeloan's refusal to accept the payment proposal would not go down well.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Well my emails have had more than the desired effect. They will settle all accounts for circa £70. I offered them £180 on Wednesday!

Once my payment has cleared and they have confirmed receipt I shall put all the evidence on here, so to assist others in a similar situation with this company.

Make sure you get, in writing, that the debt is fulfilled, and that it will not get passed to any dca.

Yep, I've made sure I have it in writing, I have an excellent trail up until now as I've only liaised by email. Which is one of the reasons they've slipped up so much in my opinion.

Edited by alanfromderby

Lots of companies accept a full and final agreement and will only partially settle the account.

They will NOT update your Credit Reference and will sell the remaining balance to another debt collector.

You really have to be sure to get everything correct when paying off these leeches!

Jogs

I had very carefully worded my correspondence, my reckoning being that if they agreed to my terms they would have no comeback i.e. I explicitly stated that it would be in full and final settlement of the accounts, that I would be released from all liability and that SL or a third party would not be able to enforce or pursue the debts thereafter.

I have also asked that my file with the credit reference agencies is updated to show ‘settled in full’. Although I have been guaranteed this will happen I have my doubts, but my credit rating is completely destroyed right now and it’s going to take 6+ years to wait for the adverse things to drop off anyway.

I paid the agreed amount today and I’ve just had the email to confirm the accounts are settled full and final. Logged into their online area and both accounts show as ‘No current loan’ and ‘today’s settlement amount £0.00’.

Clearly I’ve managed to articulate my queries and responses to their correspondence well enough to cause a stir. Quite honestly I tried to work with them far too much but I was going on the basis that should it ever reach court I was the one willing to come to a resolution and they were simply saying ‘pay us this on these terms or we’ll take you to court.’ I was never trying to get out of paying them, they forced me into this fiasco.

I’ll gather up all the stuff in chronological order when I can and put it in a new thread.