council tax from 10+ years ago

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I shared a house with 2 friends near Heathrow from July 2001 to December 2001 (all moved out)

The other day one of my friends, who now lives elsewhere, received a letter from London Borough of Hounslow asking for council tax of £133.08. All of our names on the letter but obv her address.

What's the best plan of action please?

Thanks

If it is for a period of time when you all lived there then split the bill 3 ways and pay it, i dont think council tax becomes statute barred unlike other debts. If it is for a period of time when you didnt live at the address send a letter and proof that you didnt live there. The fact it only went to one person's address is probably because they could only find one person, but you will all be jointly and severally liable.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Just to expand on the above post.

If the Council obtained a Liability Order within 6 years of the Council Tax being due then it is never Statute Barred and can be chased for the next millenium. The fact they have sent the demand to one person means that they can enforce the debt against that one person and make them pay the whole debt. The person they have written to can if he wants also let them know where the others listed may be contacted and the Council could ask each in turn for the monies depends on who they can get it out of best. I assume you all think it was all paid up before you left. There is also a good chance the Council are trying to charge for a period of time after you left.

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi there,

Many thanks for the responses.

Just a quick question though.

This bill we have received is called a council tax demand. Is this the same as a liability order? Or are they different?

I'm a little confused.

If it is a liability order then i will be contacting them with the questions recommended above.

Many Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi , have you had any joy resolving this? i am in a similar situation as i was renting a room in hounslow whilst working at heathrow. My landlady in my absence put my name down as being resident & liable for the tax, (at the time i was in iraq & no longer staying there) i believed this issue resolved back in 2003 when i had contacted HBC to expolain the situation & provided evidence. All was fine until last year when received another demand for payment along with bailiffs letter & information that i had been taken to court back in 2004 for non payment , much to my surprise as i had no comms informing me of such!

• 2 weeks later...