Warm home discount - please check your energy supplier you may be entitled!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Caggers

Thought i would mention this issue with Warm Home Discount after a friend who is disabled had been having a dispute as such about their Priority Service Register for 2yrs and ended up complaining.

Well the upshot of it was he got placed on this PSR and interestingly was asked this time about the warm home discount to which his rely was that everytime he asks about this they always say to much income not entitled to it.

Well they insisted in going through the application and due to changes to this discount there is now the NEW BROADER GROUP which is different with each energy supplier. They went throught the application and it ends up he if fully entitled to the Warm Home Discount for 2012-2013 but was also entilted to it for 2010-2011, but as he didnt apply it cant get backdated as he actually needs to apply for this.

Please Please Please everyone that reads this you do not have to be of pension age for this discount and yes there is a certain entitlement to get this but now the BROADER GROUP has been added people that werent entilted to this may now be entitled.

You will need to check with your own energy supplier as the rules for the BROADER GROUP differ substantially with each energy supplier.

It just amazes me that something like this could be kept so quiet.

• Haha 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi, many thanks for that information. I'm with Scottish Power and according to the blurb we are in the "Broader Group", so I've applied online today. Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again!

Janie

Great post Stu. Here's a link with info about the scheme. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/pensionsandretirementplanning/benefits/benefitsinretirement/dg_185940

I'm making this post a sticky and will see if I can get it put in the next CAG newsletter.

Might be an idea to post it in the benefits forum too. :wink:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The participating suppliers have had their own sets of eligibility criteria approved by Ofgem and have a limit on the number of customers who can benefit.

Consumers who may be eligible could include those on low income with a disability, long term illness or those with young children, but the actual criteria used will vary as it depends on which electricity supplier you are with.

A discount of £130 will be issued via the electricity bill of consumers who have been identified under the Broader Group schemes in 2012/13.

Check the criteria with your supplier here:

• 4 weeks later...
They went throught the application and it ends up he if fully entitled to the Warm Home Discount for 2012-2013 but was also entilted to it for 2010-2011, but as he didnt apply it cant get backdated as he actually needs to apply for this.

Just to clarify, I think you meant 2011-2012 Stu, as this was when the scheme was introduced. It will run for 4 years.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

These benifits are for those on credits, pity a lot of us do not get these so called credits, seeing we receive small personal pensions which for a lot of us eqate to the amount of credits given, we miss out all round. I.e. if we did not save for personal pensions we would of got credits in lieu of and alll the benifits relating to credits, we are loosers, so question for a lot of people is:- Why bother to save for private pension (small) AND BE WORSE OFF???

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

• 9 months later...

I received a letter from HMG in early January 2013 to say that I was entitled to £130.00 towards my electricity costs.

I immediately called the Warm Home Discount Scheme and gave them my details. They assured me that my supplier (British Gas) would credit my pre-payment meter with this amount.

By March 13, no payment had been received so I called the WHSD and was told that British Gas had been given the information on 11 January and advised me to call British Gas. I called immediately and after giving them all my details, was told that the payments would be going out that week and the next week.

25 March No payment! Called WHDS again who told me that by law, the payments must be made by 31 March. I called British Gas again, giving all my details again and was told that the information would be passed to the team handling the payments. (whoopee F=====ing Doo!)

02 April Still no payment. I called British Gas again, explaining that I had spent my last £4.00 on electricity that would only last 2 days. I was told that a 'Tag Number' would be sent to my address and the meter would be credited with the £130.00 by Thursday 04 in the afternoon. If not, to call them again.

04 April Electricity ran out at 10:30hrs on Thursday morning and I had to use the £5.00 emergency facility.

I called British Gas complaints dept at 17:20hrs. Gave all my information AGAIN and was told that it would take 4-5 days to process a complaint! I asked to speak to the MD Kevin Roxburgh whose name is on the back of my bill as a person to complain to at this number and was told that I could not be connected (Of course not!)

Today, Friday 05 April, I called the complaint number, 0800 072 8633 to file a complaint. I could not understand the person on the other end of the line. I asked three times for her name without success. I asked to speak to her manager and was told that he spoke in the same accent. I asked where she was speaking from ahd she said,"AFRICA!" WTF!

I tried again and called British Gas on 0800 107 7102 and surprisingly was connected quite quickly.

I asked where they were speaking from and she said 'Edinburgh'. Slight improvement!

Details given yet again, and was told that my details had been emailed from one department to another that was dealing with the problem and there was a delay to the bank holiday. (poor excuse, as the payments should have been made BY LAW by 31 March!)

It seems to me that employees at British Gas have shown less than professional diligence in this and could care less about customer's hardships despite raising their prices and bosses wages!

My wife and I suffer with arthritis and have had to choose between heating or eating for the last few freezing months.

I have notified my local MP about this and hopefully, action might be taken!

Don't want to make you feel worse any about this Rhino69, but I'm with EON and my account was credited with the money at the end of last November. I'm not on a pre-payment meter though and did apply for the grant in the summer of last year.

There is an Energy Ombudsman Service at:

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/energy.html

I've never complained to them so don't know the process exactly but it seems similar to that of the Financial Ombudsman.

I suggest you keep a detailed record of everything. Then write to British Gas with a letter headed COMPLAINT. At the end of the letter tell them that you wish to be compensated for their unprofessional behaviour and the effect that this had had on you as a vulnerable individual. (You're on a low income so are vulnerable in the sense that you were awarded this payment to help with your energy bills and with-holding the payment has caused unnecessary anxiety and stress). Also, not making the payment by the due date was unlawful. You then have to give them time to provide you with a final response before going to the Energy Ombudsman.

Sorry this won't help you short term, but you may find yourself with a little windfall further on down the road.

As I said before, I've not complained to this particular ombudsman service but have had complaints upheld with the Financial Ombudsman and was awarded £150.

Best of luck!

Edited by WelshMam2009

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

• 4 months later...

Just Bumping this to remind everyone to check with your Energy Provider if you are Entitled to the Warm Home Discount.

This Government Link gives more details: https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/overview

Always check your Energy Providers website as there are those that are automatically entitled but some energy provider also have a Broader Group so you never know you may actually be entitled so please check and inform others to check.

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

• 5 weeks later...

• 9 months later...

Just Bumping this to remind everyone to check with your energy supplier as to whether you may be entitled to the Warm Home Discount.

You never know so get checking and apply.

Remember there is a limited amount of funds with each supplier so get your application in early.

• 4 weeks later...

Just Bumping this to remind everyone to check with your energy supplier as to whether you may be entitled to the Warm Home Discount.

You never know so get checking and apply.

Remember there is a limited amount of funds with each supplier so get your application in early.

• 3 months later...

I contacted my energy supplier and was told that I wasn't entitled because I don't receive any benefits.

They told me that I would be entitled if I received benefits as long as my income didn't exceed £16,200.

I am 57 and live alone on a private pension of £7,563.

I therefore conclude that the scheme will do nothing for very poor people who have worked and claim no

benefits. Something wrong somewhere.

if you save for a private pension and get no pension credit BUT the amount you receive is on/about the claimants pension credit then you get nothing BUT they get all the extra benefits?

tell me about it, = penalised for having very small pensions without getting top up from the State???

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Hi Mike, it does seem absurd that receiving a private pension roughly equal to pension credit doesn't entitle

a person to the warm home discount. However, my energy supplier did say that I would be entitled if I was

receiving income based job seekers allowance. Maybe I could sign on and despite not actually receiving any

money, I would still be classed as receiving job seekers allowance. Perhaps then I might be entitled to warm

home discount.

• 4 months later...

you need to get in there very quickly

the scheme closed for the year on 31st march

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 months later...

Ok Just bumping this to remind everyone to start checking with their Energy Supplier (website) when they are starting and the application form is available for next year.

Remember to keep an eye on it as the funds for this are as always limited so get your application form in as soon as possible.

Remember to check even if you think your not entitled you never know.

• 2 months later...

Just giving this a wee bump as a reminder to check even if you didnt get it before please check with your energy supplier you never know.

Even if you have a friend/neighbour that you think may be entitled just tell them to check with there energy supplier/website nothing to lose and if entitled get an application in.

• 2 months later...

Just so your aware I became an OAP July 21st and found as I'm not entitled to this as not now on pension credits

I also found that in fact the on the cut off date 12/07/2015 I was still on pension credits so am getting it :-)

BUT how many out there are aware this was a Five year programs and 2015 is the last year UNLESS off course this government extend it Unlikly lol